UOA Motorcraft 5W-50 vs Quaker State 5W-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since those are part of the small spectrum of oil that meet the WSS-M2C931-B standard, has a UOA been performed on them? I would like to know which one is better.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
You can not compare UOA to choose the best oil.

Well, you could probably tell which one had better TBN retention and which one maintained viscosity better, but that's about it. And of course you'd have to keep all test parameters exactly the same, which is practically impossible on a daily driven car. So yeah, I kind of agree with you.
smile.gif

Quote:
and which one maintained viscosity better

Viscosity retention may not be a plus in Ford applications. Looks like Ford wants the oil to quickly shear.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Quote:

Viscosity retention may not be a plus in Ford applications. Looks like Ford wants the oil to quickly shear.

Ford should have recommended an Xw-40 oil then.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:

Ford should have recommended an Xw-40 oil then.
smile.gif

They did. MC 5w-50. It appears to only be a 50 from the bottle to the oil fill.
grin.gif

They did. MC 5w-50. It appears to only be a 50 from the bottle to the oil fill.
grin.gif

LOL!

The tech sheet I found claims it has 100C viscosity of 21 cST, which is on the heavy side of 50 grade. It must have VIIs up the wazoo to shear so quickly.

Then again, I have yet to see a shear stable 5w-50 oil in general.

Then again, I have yet to see a shear stable 5w-50 oil in general.

[/quote]

Maxima Ultra 4 5w-50 (MC)

40C- 92.1
100C- 16.3
pour- -40F
flash- 432F
VI- 178
HTHS- 4.85
(basically a heavy 40 wt. or light 50)
(not sold any more)

there's also Red Line and others,like Penrite 10 tenths Premium. ..not that either/any of those meets the specific approvals the OP is looking for but more to your point. it can be made stable.

Mobil 1 5w-50 is no wimp either,although i'd place it in a different category and for meeting specific/actual approvals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back