UOA - Castrol Synblend 10w30 (7,343 miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DIRK: From what we can see, this Castrol blend did just as good a job as the previous Pennzoil platinum. Actually, iron (from steel parts) is reading a little lower than before -- this level is more on par with what we were seeing back in 2012 and 2013. Not that the 25 ppm from the previous fill was a problem, but since iron came down on a longer oil run, the wear-rate (ppm/mile) was better this time around. No dirt, moisture, or any other contaminants were detected, and the TBN is good at 2.4, so the oil had active additive remaining. Try 9,000 miles next. Nice report!

OIL CASTROL 10w30 SYNBLEND
MILES IN USE 7,343
MILES 208,038
SAMPLE TAKEN 9/30/15

ALUMINUM 5
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 16
COPPER 4
LEAD 4
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 14
NICKEL 2
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 20
SILICON 19
SODIUM 32
CALCIUM 2456
MAGNESIUM 12
PHOSPHORUS 717
ZINC 824
BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.3
WATER 0
FLASHPOINT ºF 415
SUS VIS 210ºF 63.3
cSt @ 212ºF 11.15
TBN 2.4

I am actually very happy. . . . iron dropped to 16 from a prior 25

Nice Report
I looked into this oil today and it seems priced the same as
most synthetics here. What kind of price do you get it for in MO.

Synblend sold out here last year when Castrol was introducing Magnatec. It was $1.99/qt at A.Zone. Great buy and excellent UOA.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Nice Report
I looked into this oil today and it seems priced the same as
most synthetics here. What kind of price do you get it for in MO.

$1/qt back in December. Bought all I could find (26 qts) - all AZ had was 10w30

If I recall, Synblend was the first $1 per quart oil in December in Autozone.

But then people started discovering all sorts of oils and Valvoline ATF were also $1 a quart.

Some people drew blanks. Some people hit the jackpot. I found there was an endless amount of almost any ATF at $1 a quart which was great because there are always deals on motor oil. So I'm far more happy with my lifetime stash of ATF then the 20 or so quarts of full synthetic and synblend oil I managed to get.

Looks very good. I did a couple runs with Castrol synblend and a UOA as well and I was happy with it.

There was a recent UOA posted with 5w30 Magnatec (the replacement) that was from a Ford twin turbo and it looked spectacular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back