2022 Mazda CX-9 - HPL PCMO 10W-20 - 7,211 Miles

No doubt it is excellent oil.
I did not follow this engine closely, only stumbling here and there, so that is why I did not catch that fuel dilution issue.
Considering winter temperatures, I wonder how their 5W20 would do or even 5W30, regardless that you get some hit on grade retention. I would run some of their Euro 5W30 stock.

No doubt it is excellent oil.
I did not follow this engine closely, only stumbling here and there, so that is why I did not catch that fuel dilution issue.
Considering winter temperatures, I wonder how their 5W20 would do or even 5W30, regardless that you get some hit on grade retention. I would run some of their Euro 5W30 stock.
The CCS will be the limiting factor for cold operation - and while it can get below 0 on occasion here - in the 3 years I've been here, haven't seen it yet! IF that happens - I'll park in the garage next to the apartment - where it will be significantly warmer due to heat from the building. MRV Viscosity is actually better than a lot of the 5W-30's it competes with! So it will pump if the starter will crank it over!

Edit: If anyone here knows the answer - how would fuel dilution affect CCS? Will it improve CCS? Will it hurt CCS? What exactly will happen?

The CCS will be the limiting factor for cold operation - and while it can get below 0 on occasion here - in the 3 years I've been here, haven't seen it yet! IF that happens - I'll park in the garage next to the apartment - where it will be significantly warmer due to heat from the building. MRV Viscosity is actually better than a lot of the 5W-30's it competes with! So it will pump if the starter will crank it over!

Edit: If anyone here knows the answer - how would fuel dilution affect CCS? Will it improve CCS? Will it hurt CCS? What exactly will happen?
I started 10W40 oil, and as I remember, it was Statoil in the sump at -42c. Though, the camshaft was not happy about it :)

We have a 2018 CX-9 AWD and really like it. We're at 48k miles and it rides beautifully and the motor I find pretty enjoyable. Mileage at 100% city is usually around 19-20 and have seen above 28 on the highway. I would like to service the trans as well as the diff/tcase soon but if I don't get to it soon it will be in the spring.

The report looks good, wishing you many years of reliable service 👍

Fuel dilution will impact CCS in a positive way.

Resurrecting this old thread as my wife's car is a '21 CX-9 Signature with right at 25K miles on it. We bought the dealership oil change package at time of purchase and have done an OCI every 4-5k miles like clockwork. I work at the dealer group and asked the Service Mgr what the bulk oil is that we/they use for the pre-paid maintenance package OCIs, he said it was Mobil 1 full synthetic but nothing like the higher end versions like EP. So it has gotten a quality oil and new OEM filter every 4-5k miles. At the 28k mile mark I'm doing an OCI here and subbing in 1qt of HPL EC30. At 30k miles I'll drain that and switch to HPL 5W30 PCMO and continue with the OEM filter (the oil change package is already paid for up until 50k miles at 5k/4 month intervals so the only thing I'll pay for each OCI is the HPL oil itself).

I'm interested in the talk about the HPL No VII oil as that might seem to be the best line to use with our Skyactiv 2.5T and the potential for fuel dilution. I'm chiming in here as I'm still a newbie here and trying to educate myself on the different series of oils and how each would be beneficial for this vehicle.

Resurrecting this old thread as my wife's car is a '21 CX-9 Signature with right at 25K miles on it. We bought the dealership oil change package at time of purchase and have done an OCI every 4-5k miles like clockwork. I work at the dealer group and asked the Service Mgr what the bulk oil is that we/they use for the pre-paid maintenance package OCIs, he said it was Mobil 1 full synthetic but nothing like the higher end versions like EP. So it has gotten a quality oil and new OEM filter every 4-5k miles. At the 28k mile mark I'm doing an OCI here and subbing in 1qt of HPL EC30. At 30k miles I'll drain that and switch to HPL 5W30 PCMO and continue with the OEM filter (the oil change package is already paid for up until 50k miles at 5k/4 month intervals so the only thing I'll pay for each OCI is the HPL oil itself).

I'm interested in the talk about the HPL No VII oil as that might seem to be the best line to use with our Skyactiv 2.5T and the potential for fuel dilution. I'm chiming in here as I'm still a newbie here and trying to educate myself on the different series of oils and how each would be beneficial for this vehicle.
There is no "potential for fuel dilution" - there is fuel dilution in the Mazda 2.5T engines. I would feel better using the regular Mobil 1 5W-30 at 5k mile intervals. The presence of fuel in the oil does its lubrication properties no favors, and its probably better to just keep it fresh. Oil changes are super easy on these Mazdas.

There is no "potential for fuel dilution" - there is fuel dilution in the Mazda 2.5T engines. I would feel better using the regular Mobil 1 5W-30 at 5k mile intervals. The presence of fuel in the oil does its lubrication properties no favors, and its probably better to just keep it fresh. Oil changes are super easy on these Mazdas.
I agree that’s all logical but I am curious if, even theoretically, the CX9 would benefit from their No VIIs oil.

I agree that’s all logical but I am curious if, even theoretically, the CX9 would benefit from their No VIIs oil.
Sure, there are no VII's for the fuel to degrade. The oil would hold its viscosity better. But the presence of fuel in the oil still degrades and reduces the effectiveness of some additives. That aspect is not inconsequential. It's why I feel that more frequent changes are better if the engine is a known fuel diluter. That's just my opinion.

The 10W-20 PCMO that @OhioTech is using seems to be working well for his Mazda.

I think its working fine. used the same swill again and I think your iron and or aluminum will drop again. this is a high quality product and if it's trying to clean up whatever was left there before it's been known that it's typical for the iron and aluminum to go slightly higher. I have the utmost faith in the oil that you are using now and instead of looking at it from a perspective of the glass being half empty look at the glasses being half full. when you change the oil use the same oil again and I think the results will be better

Wow I thought my '22 Subaru Crosstrek was bad with fuel dilution of 3.5%.... 😳 Looks like that HPL is doing a great job though. I think I may be placing an order soon.

Back