Ugly New Prius #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can actually hit 50+ mpg on the new prius eco at a real freeway speed (75-85) i would be seriously impressed. However i would still rather get a Volt if i was in the market for a ultra miler.

I would say a typical "long" commute is 50 miles one way. If you can do half of that on electric and then 40 mpg on gas on the return trip you still got 100 miles for one gallon and a few KWs. Some people can charge up at work and use even less gas.

I do give credit to the Prius for having incredible durability across the generations. Who would have though with that much technology that it actually holds up? A battery swap isn't the end the world, and one of the only chronic issues.

I understand it but for my 14-16 hr. straight jaunts with no access to charging the Volt is not practical plus any advantage would be negated with the Premium gas it requires.

Originally Posted By: dareo
If you can actually hit 50+ mpg on the new prius eco at a real freeway speed (75-85) i would be seriously impressed. However i would still rather get a Volt if i was in the market for a ultra miler.

I would say a typical "long" commute is 50 miles one way. If you can do half of that on electric and then 40 mpg on gas on the return trip you still got 100 miles for one gallon and a few KWs. Some people can charge up at work and use even less gas.

I do give credit to the Prius for having incredible durability across the generations. Who would have though with that much technology that it actually holds up? A battery swap isn't the end the world, and one of the only chronic issues.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I'm actually seeing low to mid 50's mpg. with interstate driving from many sources with the 2016 models and my interest was the Eco model.

This is the first part of our trip, Arizona to Minnesota. Keep in mind that there were two of us in the car along with a cooler full of ice, food and drinks, also had luggage, pistols, rifle and ammo. Probably about 300 pounds more than we ever carry.
About 1100 were interstate miles. Actual MPG was about 1 MPG less than the MFD display. AC was used the entire trip.

97odna.jpg

Great! Thanks.
Plus I plan on Florida trips from MD and I can hit Route 301 where speeds of 50-60 mph are the norm
with rolling hills etc. Not that economy is the issue but those that tell you to do the math don't understand the fun to be had from a Hybrid. And I don't mean slowing down other drivers either.

This was the result of my 2200+ mile round trip from NC to AR in my Prius C.
Some of the mileage and time is driving around the town I was staying in.

PriusC2254miles.jpg

Last edited:
If you drive for 14-18 hours straight regularly; i would buy whatever your back and backside think is the most comfortable to sit in! Also the new Volts run Reg gas now, but improvements over last generation.

I just went to a Toyota dealer today to look at the Prius line.
1) I'm grateful for the payback formula Nick mentioned here. @ $4 gas the payback time becomes 7yr., 1 mo.
2) Anyone who gives SERIUS consideration to a car's looks is truly stoned IMHO.
3) I need to know how the Volt performs when the engine kicks in. TRANSLATION: Need to do more homework.
4) My local dealer doesn't have any Prius V's. He said they aren't sold in No. NJ. Is he truthful?

Gotta look at other cars.

Volts do pretty good in performance mode (smoke a prius) but slower than my stick golf. They have a fraction of the cargo space too, you can literally sleep in a golf wagon seats down. I do like and respect the new Volt but for me its No Wagon=No Want.

Volts look great and they ought to for $35k msrp. A Prius seems to be around $25k msrp. Probably be able to get one for $22k out the door after taxes.

There are Federal tax credit plus some states have tax credit for Chevy Volt. Residence of Colorado can get up to $11,900 tax credit from Federal and state for buying a new Volt.

#1 doesn't jive in the real world plus I think the Prius two eco with the rebate is a modestly priced car by todays standards. Dare I say cheap?

First thing I thought of when I saw the new Prius in the flesh. Sorry if you can't un-see it now...
00003538906070.jpg

x03pn_az002.jpg

OMG - even before I scrolled up I said Aztek - and that only means ugly to me.
My son ran an Aztek 13 years and hardly did jack to maintain the poor car. Never broke down-sold still ticking.
Guess that's the point.

Geo Storm looks way better than the Aztek or new Prius. Its got that 90s sports car on a budget charm!

Originally Posted By: SR20DE
First thing I thought of when I saw the new Prius in the flesh. Sorry if you can't un-see it now...
00003538906070.jpg

x03pn_az002.jpg

While the new Prius isn't the most beautiful car-I don't think it's anywhere close to looking like an Aztec.

I see Ford is about giving away 2017 Fusion hybrid SE's
But I don't like the mpg or my local dealer.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Geo Storm looks way better than the Aztek or new Prius. Its got that 90s sports car on a budget charm!

Crack must really skew the eyesight, I'd suggest stepping away from the pipe
sick.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back