Ugly New Prius #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that but I'm looking at under $23K but I never buy hybrids based on cost factors and pay back.
Never did. That said when gas gets back to $4 then that math may get interesting but I do agree.
There are people that would spend a $100K for 65 mpg and be happy doing so- not me but you get my drift.
I'm not a greenie either but I think its more of an engineering thing with me. But you're right!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If your goal is to save money, a Prius isn't going to do it for you. Get out a calculator and do the math.

2017 Corolla msrp - $17,300 - 31 mpg combined
2017 Prius msrp - $24,685 - 52 mpg combined

20,000 miles a year, $2.25 a gallon, 31 mpg is $1,451 in gas per year
20,000 miles a year, $2.25 a gallon, 52 mpg is $865 in gas per year
A $586 difference. With a $7,385 purchase price difference, it would take 12.6 years just to break even. And even by then, you've probably had to replace the hybrid battery, so then it takes longer to break even.

But maybe if you can get some rebates it might help but it'll still take a long while to break even.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The oil used is Mobil 1 5w-30 from Costco and a NAPA oil filter. The coolant for the engine and the electrics is Toyota pink.

Great review, thank you. I imagine it gets a 10k oci?

Agreed and thank you.
You think the new ones use 5w30 or did they go to 0w20?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The oil used is Mobil 1 5w-30 from Costco and a NAPA oil filter. The coolant for the engine and the electrics is Toyota pink.

Great review, thank you. I imagine it gets a 10k oci?

I think it is possible to get a 2016 Prius for around $20-21k after $2k rebate from Toyota. Will the price get lower/higher/same the next few months ? Nobody knows, your guess is a good as anyone.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I understand that but I'm looking at under $23K but I never buy hybrids based on cost factors and pay back.
Never did. That said when gas gets back to $4 then that math may get interesting but I do agree.
There are people that would spend a $100K for 65 mpg and be happy doing so- not me but you get my drift.
I'm not a greenie either but I think its more of an engineering thing with me. But you're right!

If your goal is to save money, a Prius isn't going to do it for you. Get out a calculator and do the math.

A $586 difference. With a $7,385 purchase price difference, it would take 12.6 years just to break even. And even by then, you've probably had to replace the hybrid battery, so then it takes longer to break even.

But maybe if you can get some rebates it might help but it'll still take a long while to break even.
Yeah I can see buying one for another standpoint like engineering, being green, reliability, etc. But just on the basis of saving money, I don't see how the numbers work out. I overstated the gas prices in those numbers above, it's summer time and I can get gas for $1.85 a gallon. Everyone has been thinking gas is going to go wild again, but it's been dirt cheap for a long time and is still only getting cheaper. If you use $1.85 a gallon it would take almost 16 years for a Prius to break even with a Corolla.

Originally Posted By: ems1
Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
One thing ive never understood about Prius drivers, is when your on the interstate speed limit is 70. Your going 75 and they are going 85. Theres no way that they are saving the world doing that.

What makes you think Prius drivers are trying to save the world? I drive my Prius v at 75 mph and still get 38-40 mpg. I only care about saving money in my pocket. With the lower gas prices, I'm not seeing many Prius drivers cruising under the speed limit. At least not in PA.

Time to step up to a 16. I drove from Arizona to Minnestoa, 1500 miles, mostly interstate with the cruise set at 5 over the posted limit and got 57MPG. Also, for those that think a Prius is always in their way, I had to pass more trucks and SUVs on the right. Never had one Prius in my way.

Which flavor did you get? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Originally Posted By: ems1
Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
One thing ive never understood about Prius drivers, is when your on the interstate speed limit is 70. Your going 75 and they are going 85. Theres no way that they are saving the world doing that.

What makes you think Prius drivers are trying to save the world? I drive my Prius v at 75 mph and still get 38-40 mpg. I only care about saving money in my pocket. With the lower gas prices, I'm not seeing many Prius drivers cruising under the speed limit. At least not in PA.

Time to step up to a 16. I drove from Arizona to Minnestoa, 1500 miles, mostly interstate with the cruise set at 5 over the posted limit and got 57MPG. Also, for those that think a Prius is always in their way, I had to pass more trucks and SUVs on the right. Never had one Prius in my way.

Which flavor did you get? Thanks!

I bought the Two. When I'm home in Arizona and driving from town to town on the state highways keeping speeds below 65 I can easily hit 65-70 MPGs. My 05 Prius would do 52-54 MPGs on it's best day.

You obviously know nothing about the Prius so please stop trying to make generalizations.

Originally Posted By: funflyer

You obviously know nothing about the Prius so please stop trying to make generalizations.
So tell me what I need to know? What are the other money saving devices on this car?

Everything in that post is true

My 2010 Honda Insight was never an issue either. I was usually several cars ahead after a light and my other car was a RT. Challenger and I never felt the car was slow.
It averaged 43-44 mpg every tank with no care to hyper mile.

Of course if you could keep it in light traffic at say 45-50 mpg you could see in the mid 60 mpg.

I was thinking about this the other day while I was sitting in traffic, just creeping along for miles.

I looked down at the fuel consumption graph and I noticed the gas engine hadn't come on in the past 30 minutes.

We didn't cover much distance, so the MPG's weren't greatly affected but I am saving a considerable amount of fuel over a normal gas vehicle.

Whenever people make the Prius/Corolla cost argument, you really can't account for this type of savings.

You just have to do out the math. I rarely creep in traffic; I usually am running at 65mph for the duration of most trips & my commute. [Seriously--50 miles to work and I do it under an hour, an hour if I go the speed limit and well under if I don't.]

Now a Prius would always save me at the pump. If I had to deal with gridlock it'd save even more. But for me, EPA highway mpg is what I can run with for cost/mile calculations. YMMV.

That should read 45-50 m.p.h.

My 2010 Honda Insight was never an issue either. I was usually several cars ahead after a light and my other car was a RT. Challenger and I never felt the car was slow.
It averaged 43-44 mpg every tank with no care to hyper mile.

Of course if you could keep it in light traffic at say 45-50 mpg you could see in the mid 60 mpg.

The classic case for a Prius is that they do so well in stop and go city driving, and they do. But i say why not just go one step further and get a Chevy Volt, leave your house with a full charge? Volt destroys Prius for most people's commutes. Yes they cost a bit more but 50ish miles all electric is pretty good.

For pure highway drivers the Prius isn't that much better MPG wise than your typical gas mileage car.

Maybe because there's plenty of fleet data to show that the Prius is about the most durable and reliable car you can own?

I'm actually seeing low to mid 50's mpg. with interstate driving from many sources with the 2016 models and my interest was the Eco model.

Originally Posted By: dareo
The classic case for a Prius is that they do so well in stop and go city driving, and they do. But i say why not just go one step further and get a Chevy Volt, leave your house with a full charge? Volt destroys Prius for most people's commutes. Yes they cost a bit more but 50ish miles all electric is pretty good.

For pure highway drivers the Prius isn't that much better MPG wise than your typical gas mileage car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back