Oddball old Toyota on Facebook

Drove 45 minutes away to take a look today and took cash ready to buy. In the pictures it doesn't look half bad, although the mismatched Pep Boys wheels and stained interior should have been a clue. When I get there, some young guy with a Buick Cascdia that came just before me is looking at it and goes for a test drive with the owner. After they get back I take a look for a few minutes before leaving. Car looks like it had a $99 Earl Schieb paint job and inside was piled with junk. Didn't even bother test driving. Now I remember why I mostly stopped buying cars from private sellers.

Drove 45 minutes away to take a look today and took cash ready to buy. In the pictures it doesn't look half bad, although the mismatched Pep Boys wheels and stained interior should have been a clue. When I get there, some young guy with a Buick Cascdia that came just before me is looking at it and goes for a test drive with the owner. After they get back I take a look for a few minutes before leaving. Car looks like it had a $99 Earl Schieb paint job and inside was piled with junk. Didn't even bother test driving. Now I remember why I mostly stopped buying cars from private sellers.
The link briefly worked as I don't have Facebook. But a Toyota Sera is definitely a radwood contender. I think doug demuro highlighted one of these a few years back. I wonder if the people who bought weird rhd Japanese imports get tired of them after a while? Some have a little mechanical underpinnings with usdm Toyota's but many are completely different.

For those unfamiliar with the Sera
Like a lot of JDM imports these days, getting popular and valuable
Shame the one you saw was a poor example
The importers seem to have lost the passion for unique and obscure 🇯🇵 metal, and just wanna make a quick buck 😔
It's a touch big for the Kei class, but I'd like one in the garage, next to a Honda Beat

Mechanically the car is related to both the Paseo and the Starlet, sharing similar floorpans, suspension, steering and brakes

I never thought I'd see the day people would go crazy for a spinning light or antimacassar/doilies
And yet here we are 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
The mismatch wheels would be a deal breaker for me. I can’t stand that unless they had the matches for one set.

In the Facebook Marketplace photo taken from the right rear quarter panel perspective, there appears to be the matching silver alloy wheel lying on the grass. Perhaps it had a flat and a mismatched wheel was put on it to be driveable. In any case, all indications from Atikovi's comments and the photos suggest that this Toyota was a hard pass.

Unless this car was truly trashed, 6K is pretty reasonable for one of these.
This car looks like it could use a good cleaning and the paint can probably be corrected to look decent.
This is a car never offered in the US and would be neat to have.
Good thing I don't follow Facebook these days.
Wife might not be amused to have one of these show up on a transporter.

If you get this car to flip you'll get all sorts of weebs wanting test drives with no intention of buying. And wanting to trade a nintendo and used lawnmower for it.

Stay mainstream unless it's special to YOU.

What a piece of garbage..........
You just love looking down on people, don't you? Go ahead and tell us a story or two about your brand new six digit car purchases and how everyone else is driving junk and should do better in life.

Anyways... Long live Toyota Cera. I'd love to have one in US. A cool and quirky car for sure. I like unique and weird cars like that. I learned about it a few years ago when Mighty Car Mods had one.

You just love looking down on people, don't you? Go ahead and tell us a story or two about your brand new six digit car purchases and how everyone else is driving junk and should do better in life.

Anyways... Long live Toyota Cera. I'd love to have one in US. A cool and quirky car for sure. I like unique and weird cars like that. I learned about it a few years ago when Mighty Car Mods had one.
Qutoe from the OP-
Car looks like it had a $99 Earl Schieb paint job and inside was piled with junk. Didn't even bother test driving. Now I remember why I mostly stopped buying cars from private sellers.

I stand by my statement.....

Am I missing something? Clearly it's rough from the pics and then when you arrived you were surprised that it actually was rough and decided that's how every private sale goes?

If your looking for JDM right hand drives, there is a place here in SC that imports them. Being in SC - I see some of these cars around. There is a older Skyline around that looks awesome I have seen a few times.

1702774135290.png

1702774232577.jpg

If you get this car to flip you'll get all sorts of weebs wanting test drives with no intention of buying. And wanting to trade a nintendo and used lawnmower for it.

Stay mainstream unless it's special to YOU.
Harsh, but unfortunately true

Enjoy you're niche things, but don't expect it to pan out or even break even when it comes time to talk 💰

Qutoe from the OP-
Car looks like it had a $99 Earl Schieb paint job and inside was piled with junk. Didn't even bother test driving. Now I remember why I mostly stopped buying cars from private sellers.

I stand by my statement.....
While I kind of agree, this particular one is junk

It wouldn't hurt to separate if it's a junk car in general, or this a particularly BAD example of said car

Big difference 📝

CKN was referring to the condition of this particular example.

Back