Ugly New Prius #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back from my local Toyota dealer in Delaware.
They had rows of new Prius' and even new older 2015 ones etc.
So I went and looked them all over. Honestly I was never a big fan of the Toyota interior color combos etc. but
I'd buy one without any issue at all. The looks bother me none.

I think I'll try to wait out a bit and see if I can get a good deal. Most likely on an Eco model.
When I'm doing my straight 900-1000 mile jaunts to Florida I'll chuckle as I pass the gas stations and offend
those who are repulsed by the Prius. They do sit very low though- noticed that today.

I had a 2010 Insight and its looks didn't bother me. And the first time I had seen the new Prius the Geo Storm from way back came to mind. They look about the same.

I know there is a rebate out but what do you think I can get it for if I wait a bit on a Eco two?
I'm guessing its a slow seller and that won't get better soon. Am I wrong?

And for the abusers its an appliance to me. I have nice looking cars, so I don't need another
smile.gif

I thought the deals were to be had now? Toyota does a sale in August, and wants to move last years models.

The only way you'll offend me is if you're jamming up the left lane going EXACTLY the speed limit, trying to save the world from those mean old "speeders."

You know that ain't me. lol
I drove my Insight without a care to save gas and never used the Eco button as that was a joke and I got great mileage to boot. I drove it like a regular car so that hyper c_rap ain't for me.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The only way you'll offend me is if you're jamming up the left lane going EXACTLY the speed limit, trying to save the world from those mean old "speeders."

But do you think since none are selling Toyota may sweeten the pot?????

Originally Posted By: supton
I thought the deals were to be had now? Toyota does a sale in August, and wants to move last years models.

Maybe. I presume you're good at negotiating, so just figure out your max price, and go in & offer a few grand less than that. Maybe you'll score.

One thing ive never understood about Prius drivers, is when your one the interstate speed limit is 70. Your going 75 and they are going 85. Theres no way that they are saving the world doing that.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
...they are going 85.

I did not know a Prius could even go that fast. What is their approximate top speed?
grin.gif

I hate that. I'm going 70 in the right lane and some joker is always dancing on my rear bumper.

One thing ive never understood about Prius drivers, is when your one the interstate speed limit is 70. Your going 75 and they are going 85. Theres no way that they are saving the world doing that.

I think if gas prices go up then the deals will go away and im sure that after the election prices will go up. Also if they are redesigning it....which they are from what ive read due to it being so ugly and not selling then the deals on these should get better. But im sure their success with this car relies heavily on gas prices.

And? They are probably still getting over 30mpg doing that.

One thing ive never understood about Prius drivers, is when your on the interstate speed limit is 70. Your going 75 and they are going 85. Theres no way that they are saving the world doing that.

What makes you think Prius drivers are trying to save the world? I drive my Prius v at 75 mph and still get 38-40 mpg. I only care about saving money in my pocket. With the lower gas prices, I'm not seeing many Prius drivers cruising under the speed limit. At least not in PA.

If there are a whole bunch of these cars in inventory nationally, then they'll only get cheaper as time passes.
Current fuel prices don't help the sales prospects of these cars either. If we'd seen four buck fuel this summer, Priuses would be flying out of the lots. We didn't and they aren't.
Although Toyota apparently hired the cartoonist who did "The Jetsons" to design this generation of Prius, the looks are starting to grow on me.
There is a hint of the horizontal tail fins seen on some GM cars as well as Ramblers during the fin craze nearly sixty years ago.
This might be the best opportunity to buy one of these very cheap to run and very reliable cars.
Been thinking along those lines myself.

Originally Posted By: Uber_Archetype
...they are going 85.

I did not know a Prius could even go that fast. What is their approximate top speed?
grin.gif

Al Gore's kid got one up to triple digits in a police chase

Around here they almost always drive under the speed limit ... I always thought the speed limit was a minimum, but they think of it as something to avoid
frown.gif

Never had a care about the actual car. They are *****, but that is in the eye of person looking. What I can't understand is why they don't build and actual station wagon so you can haul stuff? And why not a sports'ish car like a Prius Solstace? The drive train will fit more than one body style ...

I never had one but I think I read that the basic Prius had more passenger and cargo space than a Camry???
I'd have to find that but if that was the case it would be a winner. I guess the Prius V is their station wagon and I do agree with that as well especially with diesel cars to get around the 2WD SUV's.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Around here they almost always drive under the speed limit ... I always thought the speed limit was a minimum, but they think of it as something to avoid
frown.gif

Never had a care about the actual car. They are *****, but that is in the eye of person looking. What I can't understand is why they don't build and actual station wagon so you can haul stuff? And why not a sports'ish car like a Prius Solstace? The drive train will fit more than one body style ...

Maybe check out a Camry hybrid. There might be a $2500-3000 rebate going on right now till 9/6 I believe. Much more like the Fusion hybrid you were looking at. The same powertrain goes into the Avalon hybrid. Battery is located in the trunk. I checked one out last weekend on a Sunday morning when they weren't open. They left the car unlocked. A new gen Camry the 2018 is coming out in September(I know weird), probably the very end of the month. The 2017 models will only be out a few months. I read an article in the paper about how it's a good time to buy one before the new gen hits the lots.

We have a Prius as a company car and I can guarantee it will do triple digit speeds all day long across the desert in California with outside temps over 110F, 4 people on board and the A/C blasting away, doing a really good job. If you go from Eco mode to Power mode it accelerates pretty well. Ours is a 2012 and it just went past 300K miles. I like the simple transmission that never shifts gears and has no reverse (reverse is by the electric motor) and there is no fan or serpentine belt or timing belt to mess with. The transmission fluid is the factory fill, it does not get changed. With the car parked and the gas engine off the A/C will still freeze you out of the car.

There has only been one nagging problem. It blows low beam headlight frequently even with the warranty harness and headlight assembly upgrade. We keep spares in the glove box along with the blue gloves.

The oil used is Mobil 1 5w-30 from Costco and a NAPA oil filter. The coolant for the engine and the electrics is Toyota pink.

Low gas prices, slow sales, you could not ask for a better time to get a Prius. I would do my research now and get on it. You can't exactly time things like this to get the lowest possible price. But knowing all the right circumstances are there, should be a good enough sign.

If your goal is to save money, a Prius isn't going to do it for you. Get out a calculator and do the math.

2017 Corolla msrp - $17,300 - 31 mpg combined
2017 Prius msrp - $24,685 - 52 mpg combined

20,000 miles a year, $2.25 a gallon, 31 mpg is $1,451 in gas per year
20,000 miles a year, $2.25 a gallon, 52 mpg is $865 in gas per year
A $586 difference. With a $7,385 purchase price difference, it would take 12.6 years just to break even. And even by then, you've probably had to replace the hybrid battery, so then it takes longer to break even.

But maybe if you can get some rebates it might help but it'll still take a long while to break even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back