UA flight #328 loses engine over Broomfield CO.

Thanks for heads up Astro …
going to put another log on the fire and pass on initial speculation until we know more … 👍🏼

Only FAA/NTSB has authority. Local police should not be involved, unless there is injury or fatality. Too often local law enforcement does the job of Federal Agencies....Although; local police are "community caretakers", but "legal authority and jurisdiction prevail".

Reactions: 4WD
We had a fan fail on a 777 a few years back, and it looked like that, but the engines, and the airplane are generally super reliable.

That airplane flew over three hours to get to Hawaii after the engine failed.

Only FAA/NTSB has authority. Local police should not be involved, unless there is injury or fatality. Too often local law enforcement does the job of Federal Agencies....Although; local police are "community caretakers", but "legal authority and jurisdiction prevail".

I'm pretty sure their primary concern is that the locals don't go around looking for souvenirs. Still not as crazy as the time Skylab reentered and showered a town in Western Australia with reentry debris that didn't completely burn up.

Missing fan blade(s)
E72106C9-13C8-4AFD-99B6-7D4C9F16457B.jpeg

Nicely composed photo. “Let’s pile up the airplane parts and get this game restarted!” 😄
52954091-FB84-44BD-B5A6-5CC06970171F.jpeg

We had a fan fail on a 777 a few years back, and it looked like that, but the engines, and the airplane are generally super reliable.

That airplane flew over three hours to get to Hawaii after the engine failed.
I was at the hanger when the Boeing guys tested the early B777 on one engine in Newfoundland wind shears … needed 4 hours … after 5.5 hours they got bored …

Flew in a 777 from Atlanta to Johannesburg, SA and remember being slightly concerned being out over all that ocean if we had to fly on one engine. It was actually the same day in 2013 that an Asian Airlines 777 came up short in San Francisco. We were watching it unfold waiting for our flight and I figured the odds of 2 777s crashing on the same day had to be in my favor. Those engines are big! Glad nobody was hurt.

So let's say that huge ring fell on your house and damaged your roof. Could you hold the part hostage until the responsible party cut you a check to fix your home?

Or is this a case where you're just stuck filing an insurance claim and hoping your rates don't go up as a result?

So let's say that huge ring fell on your house and damaged your roof. Could you hold the part hostage until the responsible party cut you a check to fix your home?

Or is this a case where you're just stuck filing an insurance claim and hoping your rates don't go up as a result?

United is definitely good for it. And I wouldn't try moving it unless it landed on top of someone. I don't think that's piece is all that heavy.

Flew in a 777 from Atlanta to Johannesburg, SA and remember being slightly concerned being out over all that ocean if we had to fly on one engine. It was actually the same day in 2013 that an Asian Airlines 777 came up short in San Francisco. We were watching it unfold waiting for our flight and I figured the odds of 2 777s crashing on the same day had to be in my favor. Those engines are big! Glad nobody was hurt.
I have been on that same Delta fight a number of times, and the Asiana flight number you mentioned (pilot error) … AND many other United/Continental or whomever B777 aircraft including the very first United (pre merger) airframe itself … Yeah=Many B777’s from Asian, US, European, Middle East, and “CNN collusion” countries …
IMO, best ever built … Full stop 🛑

Haven't gone that way, but one time I went to Asia in a 777-200 and came back in a 747-400. I rather liked the 777 because it was newer with newer amenities like video at every seat. But on the way back I was chatting with a flight attendant about it, where he preferred four engines to two.

I'm pretty sure their primary concern is that the locals don't go around looking for souvenirs. Still not as crazy as the time Skylab reentered and showered a town in Western Australia with reentry debris that didn't completely burn up.
I saw a piece of Skylab when I was in WA. Pretty sure it was in a town called Pemberton. A shop had it sitting on a counter, possibly under glass but not sure now. It was about 2 ft. long.

We will soon find out I guess.

If they didn’t identify plane as 777, I would think Astro14 was trying to hit me bcs. i did something here :). On serious note, it is testament of today’s technology.
It seems one blade broke. Thank God it stayed contained.

Audio from the crew and ATC, along with ATC radar track.

The change in voices coming from United 328 Heavy is because the Captain and FO are changing roles and responsibilities as the checklists are accomplished and landing performance is analyzed. Lot of work to be done before landing with an engine out.

Back