Two seater ATV's....Opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about getting a two seat ATV for yard chores, trail riding, and basic fun.
I used to own ATV's several years ago (Honda, Suzuki, Bombardier...all utility models). If I get one it must be 4x4, auto tranny, 400 to 600cc (don't like them too big or powerful), and MUST have a great reliability history. I know that Arctic Cat, Polaris, and Can-Am make two seaters but don't know which one is the most reliable and functional. If I had a choice I would get a Suzuki if they made one.....so it's no issue to me who makes it....I just want a trouble free, bullet proof, two seat ATV.
Opinions?? Be honest please if any of these brands are junk.

Last edited:
Wow....I'm surprised that I have no responses. Nobody knows anything about two seat ATV's? I saw a nice write up on the new Arctic Cat TRV 550. Liked that one. And just so nobody is confused about my question....I'm talking about the traditional style ATV...not the large nearly car-like utility side by sides.

My Buddy has a two seater Polaris 500 Sportsman and loves it. Ive been buying Polaris since 1993 and they have given me excellent service. The 500 is bulletproof. If you like the Suzuki atvs, you will love the Polaris line. The ride is much nicer and they have disc brakes all around, The ride is what you will like the best. I dont care what anyone will say, Polaris has the best riding quad hands down. The ride with the Mcferson struts are much better then the A arm design on the new 550 and 850s have. They are a well built and dependable machine. I have 6 of them, I wouldnt buy anything else.

So far, after a bit more research, I've come to some conclusions about three two-ups. Between the three, this seems to be the basic consensus.
Arctic Cat TRV 550.......Best clearance
Can-Am Outlander Max 500EFI.....Most power
Polaris Sportsman 500HO....Best comfort
All seem to be rated as reliable with perhaps a possible frame strength issue with the Can-Am. I think they all would work fine but when/if I decide to get one I would have to see which one the girlfriend finds most comfortable in that second seat.

The next step would be to go give all three a spin. Internet research can only take you so far, you may find something obviously good or bad about each quad. Check little things like grease fittings on the suspension pivot points, this will add to longevity, ease of access to the oil filter, location of shifter, etc. It's the little things that make you happy with a machine long term, IMO.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

After even more research I've decided against the Can-Am Outlander Max. While it has great power, I'm reading tons of complaints about the weakness of the frame and how the company is not following through with warranty issues. I don't want to go there....especially with a two-up model a weak frame is the LAST thing I want to deal with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
After even more research I've decided against the Can-Am Outlander Max. While it has great power, I'm reading tons of complaints about the weakness of the frame and how the company is not following through with warranty issues. I don't want to go there....especially with a two-up model a weak frame is the LAST thing I want to deal with.

Go to www.aurorawheelers.com and debunk the weak frame myth! I had an Arctic Cat 650 and broke the frame on it just underneath the seat. I traded it for a Can-Am! Look at the GNCC website, who dominates there - CanAm. Look at the mud racing scene, CanAm dominates there as well. The Artic Cats don't handle very well either, horrible understeer. Popo makes a good machine, but are even heavier than the Cats. Popo does have a spin on oil filter. CanAm has a cartrige filter that is a bit harder to get to. One thing to remember no matter who you wind up going with, find a good dealer!!! My CanAm dealer stinks. I take my machine to a Popo dealer cuz they treat me great. Nothing like good service in my book. I'd pay extra for it if I had to. Good luck!

From what I understand it's not a myth. I did go to the website you posted but in all honesty I don't see how they de-bunk the weak frame possibility. An already admitted flaw in the frame is the fact that it does dent very easily compared to other ATV's and many recommend skid plates as soon as possible. I don't see how that gives one confidence in a 4-wheeler. Besides, when any frame is dented it is highly possible the integrity may be compromised. And while mud racing is tough on quads in most respects, I think hard-pack and rocks would be much more stress on a frame.
Thanks for the reply though and I will keep researching....but what is a 'popo'?

I'm deciding now between Polaris and Arctic Cat. Both two-up machines in the 500cc class seem to be equal in most aspects. In the recent past Polaris MAY have had more reliability issues than Arctic Cat....but not very much. I've heard the Cat is a tad top-heavy. Some don't like the brake set-up on the Polaris.
I really like the fact that most agree the Polaris rides the best (plush that is...if you like that, and I do) and that our military uses them 'over there'. I honestly feel the Cat is better looking by far. The front end of the Polaris is rather ugly...but it could perhaps grow on me. I'll have to have the girlfriend and I sit on both and see what one feels better. I don't think they will allow any test rides where I live.

i have a 2006 800 outlander max the older mdls did have a problem with the frames being week (ie bending )as mine did when my buddy ran into the back of me with his 2009 outlander max , my frame bent and had to be replaced , my buddys wheeler had no problems at all , now my wheeler has a new frame the difference was noticeable right away , every thing is stiffer much nicer , and just to let you know i work this wheeler , i pull a 8 foot truck frame/ box full of stacked hard wood through the woods home approx 20 times each year , i heat with wood , no problems yet , 1500 miles on the bike so far , almost forgot the wife loves how comfy the ride is ... good luck

Iam a Polaris man and I agree with you that the Artic cats are better looking. But once you look at the two you will see the Artic Cat is built no where near as well as the Polaris. The Artic cats are built much lighter with everything smaller. Granted the average rider would not tear anything up with average riding and most agressive people stick Gorilla axles in there right off the bat, because the Artic cat stock is so light. All my Polaris's are bone stock and Ive never broke any suspension or drive parts and I dont buy a new one every year, have a 1996 4X4 with 3400 miles, still original everything, even the boots.

If you want bullet proof, then get a Yamaha.

Originally Posted By: porkchop01
If you want bullet proof, then get a Yamaha.

Did you read my topic heading? Specifically the part about 'two seater'?

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Iam a Polaris man and I agree with you that the Artic cats are better looking. But once you look at the two you will see the Artic Cat is built no where near as well as the Polaris. The Artic cats are built much lighter with everything smaller. Granted the average rider would not tear anything up with average riding and most agressive people stick Gorilla axles in there right off the bat, because the Artic cat stock is so light. All my Polaris's are bone stock and Ive never broke any suspension or drive parts and I dont buy a new one every year, have a 1996 4X4 with 3400 miles, still original everything, even the boots.

So that's probably why I've heard that a Polaris is heavy? Sounds like a good thing to me. As long as it's tough and can handle large rocks with two people on board....you're starting to convince me.
I wonder if the military has had any real issues with reliability since they started using the Polaris. Anybody know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back