What cheap, old ATV should I buy?

So I’m in the market for an old 4x4 utility ATV that won’t break the bank. I’ll be using it to pull my little landscaping trailer around to jobs I can’t get to with my truck and occasionally shunting my fishing boat (prob 3000 lbs loaded up) around the yard. I’ll do some trail riding too. Because of my two stroke fascination I’ve always wanted an old Polaris Xplorer 400 or 300 but I’m worried that the belt drive and top end nature of the two stroke won’t give me that low end grunt like a semi auto in low range will. There’s a few of those Xplorers around for decent prices. Should I hold out and try to find an old Big Bear or something similar with a semi auto and dual range or will the Xplorers get the job done?

I appreciate any insight. I‘m not very experienced with utility machines.

I have a Suzuki LT4WD I picked up a couple years ago. Does what I need. Odd tire size, not a lot of power and reverse is on the fuel tank, but low range with a locking front diff.

I have a 1988 yamaha moto 4 250, was my father's, he bought it new.
Took it for a ride this weekend after dumping old gas out.
Ran good.
This would never pull a 3k lbs boat.
Moved my 1600 boat once but it was too much

Hondas are off the table cause they’re way too expensive used. People around here want truly outrageous prices for clapped out Honda 300s with busted up plastics and major repairs needed.

I have a Suzuki LT4WD I picked up a couple years ago. Does what I need. Odd tire size, not a lot of power and reverse is on the fuel tank, but low range with a locking front diff.
I hear the 500s are unstoppable pullers in low range.

Honda makes the best ATV....go ahead and pay more now you'll get it all back. I just sold my neighbors '01 450 ES for $2,400.00 (nice shape 1,700mi.)

Right now atv's are selling sky high. I would wait till prices come down. You really can't go wrong with any of the big 4 japanese made ones. I do not recommend a Polaris.
The virus tax is brutal on pretty much everything right now but it seems to have affected some machines less than others. I can’t really wait till prices come down cause who knows when that’ll happen. Might be years yet.

Mine is a 230.
Does yours have 3 ranges?
Probably the cheapest puller is an old Suzuki kingquad 300 or the even older 250 versions. Superlow range in 1st has the clutch engaged at walking speed, and with front diff lock it either pulls or spins all 4, even with your 240lb sitting on the front rack. Not a great trail machine with limited power, suspension travel, and air/oil cooled. Arctic cat used the same drivetrain minus the front diff lock which might be even cheaper and I think made into the late 2000's?
Its a fun little rock crawler as is fairly low and small compared to the new ones.
On level-ish ground 3000lbs wouldn't be a problem, and they tried to get the ball mount as close to the rear axle as they could, I've had maybe 400lbs tongue weight pulling off road and its pretty good until you point it up a steep hill. Then you need your ballast on the front.

Does yours have 3 ranges?
Probably the cheapest puller is an old Suzuki kingquad 300 or the even older 250 versions. Superlow range in 1st has the clutch engaged at walking speed, and with front diff lock it either pulls or spins all 4, even with your 240lb sitting on the front rack. Not a great trail machine with limited power, suspension travel, and air/oil cooled. Arctic cat used the same drivetrain minus the front diff lock which might be even cheaper and I think made into the late 2000's?
Its a fun little rock crawler as is fairly low and small compared to the new ones.
On level-ish ground 3000lbs wouldn't be a problem, and they tried to get the ball mount as close to the rear axle as they could, I've had maybe 400lbs tongue weight pulling off road and its pretty good until you point it up a steep hill. Then you need your ballast on the front.
Funny you say that cause I just came across a 2001 Arctic Cat 300 that looks to be in nice shape and comes with a plow. Seems like they’re a good solid work machine. Won’t be anywhere near as fun on trails as a 400 2 stroke Polaris but I have bikes for trail riding.

Yep. Not sure what high range is for. I use low mostly, and super low for backing up my trailer when I use that.
That's good I didn't know they made a 230 with the 3 range transmission. I have used high range a bit, but not much as I don't really trail ride with it. I have used it for plowing the pond just to have a fast reverse speed and only one up or down shift. Plowing in super low is fine until you have to reverse then its 3-4-5 downshifts then into reverse.

I think I plowed in 1st gear for that reason. I would run out of traction first (going to add weight this year). Plus I could plow downhill and use gravity.

Well I’ve narrowed my search down to these machines. I know you can buy them cheaper in America but our Canadian pesos are worth less.

- 1995 Suzuki King Quad 300 4x4. Comes with winch, plow, and 2 up seat for $2500.

- 1993 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4. Comes with winch and plow $2500.

- 2003 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 semi auto version. $2900 will have to buy winch and plow.

- 1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4x4. $2750 will have to buy winch and plow.

- 1994 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4. Comes with winch for $3000. Will have to buy plow.

I’m not a huge fan of the full time 4x4 on the Kawasaki and Yamahas so that’s a plus for the Suzukis in my mind. Not the end of the world though. The Eiger is the only one that doesn’t look like an antique but still not very nice looking and I’d have to spend more to get it set up for my needs. Leaning towards the King Quad. What would you choose of those options?

I realize we're talking CAD values, but holy cow! $2500 and $3K for a 28yr/old Kawasaki bayou or Yamaha kodiak? I'd find another way.

King Quad, but only because I own the smaller sibling of it. TBH I know next to nothing about 'em, only that I was able to find a manual online so I could do repairs.

Wild that you pay less and get a plow. Unless if you are doing long runs I'd think the smaller engine would be fine. ATV's tend to be traction limited anyhow.

Back