TV Recommendations?

How much do you want to spend?

I'm fine with Vizio prices...but I avoid smart TV's, since I rather plug in a fire stick instead.

Smart TVs are usually just as cheap or cheaper than “dumb sets” due to the inevitable clearance price

Maybe a useless feature but since every big screen I buy is off mega clearance it’s mainly a price/quality/size (in that order) and “features “ I could care less

But as I’ve said if I were buying new I wouldn’t buy one without ATSC 3 at this point unless like I said mega clearance

Which oddly some of the non-ATSC3 8k offerings can be had 75% off
not that it helps much in the ultra high end but worth considering if you are buying a gimmick set anyway,
without ATSC3 one has to wonder how you would get anything out of the ultra high end sets at this point in time (another discussion)

Surprised no one has mentioned Samsung.
I guess indirectly my post above is mostly about Samsung though a few mentioned them as using a deceiving trademark to describe their totally not oled sets

Smart TVs are usually just as cheap or cheaper than “dumb sets” due to the inevitable clearance price

I don't even think you can buy a "dumb" TV anymore. Any TV will be dumb if you don't give it your wi-fi password.

I currently have a 50” Kuro Elite in my main HTS and a 42” Panasonic plasma in my basement TV/gaming system. The seating in the main HTS was moved back a bit so I’m looking at a 75” display(the Elite will move to the basement). I’ve narrowed my choices down to either a Sony 950H or a Sony A9G and I’m likely going with a Panasonic DP-UB820 BD player.
I would love to save a few dollars and go with the LCD display, but I’m afraid that after spending over a decade watching the Elite I won’t be happy with anything other than a OLED display.
Our first flat screen TV after getting married was the Amazing 50" Kuro Elite!!!! sadly when we moved in 2011 the movers strapped it in to tight and cracked the screen. We spent the settlement money on 2-55VT30's that are still working and look great.

Our first flat screen TV after getting married was the Amazing 50" Kuro Elite!!!! sadly when we moved in 2011 the movers strapped it in to tight and cracked the screen. We spent the settlement money on 2-55VT30's that are still working and look great.
I bought mine at Best Buy in 2008 when they were selling them at 50% off; I should have bought two.

Keep in mind newer tvs use much less power than the older plasma and LCDs. My 42 inch Panasonic plasma from 2008 uses 335 watts of power (and generates a ton of heat of left onto for a few hours). I had a 65 inch sharp LCD I just sold on Friday. That bad boy used 450 watts of power. My 2012 Toshiba 55 inch Lcd only uses 80 watts of power and this new TCL 55 in uses less than 75 watts of power.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't need to pay the hydro companies any extra coin.

The TCL has a great picture on 4k, watched some movies in 4k last night and today watched the F1 race and various NFL games today on streaming and the upscaling really surprised me for a tv this cheap.

I bought mine at Best Buy in 2008 when they were selling them at 50% off; I should have bought two.
YES!!!!! that's awesome!! we bought our's at Best Buy out of the back of one of their delivery trucks in the parking lots 50% off and we were about 15th deep in line waiting.

YES!!!!! that's awesome!! we bought our's at Best Buy out of the back of one of their delivery trucks in the parking lots 50% off and we were about 15th deep in line waiting.
I was just looking around Best Buy and I saw the Elite's price cut and asked if it was a demo- I was told it was new and that they had several in stock. I went to a bookstore across the street and checked out a couple of home theater magazines to verify that I wasn't imagining that it was the best display out there. I went back and bought one 10 minutes later.

alarmguy said:
3.0 will benefit advertisers as they will be able to target your family based on what you watch and what ads you pay attention too.
Only if you connect the set to the internet.
You are correct, I forgot to say that and see someone else asked that question. Thanks for saying it.

Well, we all know, 95+ %? or more Americans will connect right away. Very few people use their TV as a monitor, I am one of the very few.
Plus once you throw in the extra features that will include, wow, I mean, we as a people could care less about privacy vs. "free stuff" and your TV will do everything for you, including interactive services.

Funny, I just connected our 65" inch 900 series Sony to the internet, just last night.
It hasn't been connected I think, in the now, almost exactly 2 years since we bought it. I connected it to see if there were any firmware updates, there was, so I did the update. It surprised me how much some services wanted be to keep things "active" ... but once again, went into 'privacy" turned everything off and then actually had to hunt through the menu to turn off the Wifi again.
Funny how that was discouraged, it wasnt under "Network", it was under "advanced".

I must have checked one time in the past, very possible when I first bought it because if had my wifi password and I didnt have to type it in.
(just an example how long its been since I connected*L*)

Last edited:
Lots of made in China out there … but made in China by a Chinese company and connected to the internet …
I‘d rather not …

Surprised no one has mentioned Samsung.

Yeah my TV is only used as a tuner for OTR

ATSC3 is the next OTR standard thus my only interest, my set never goes online not even for firmware

ATSC 3 is a “thing” now
If I were buying I wouldn’t buy a TV without it unless the clearance price was excellent
But why? I guess if you never want to watch TV on your time instead of the programs time a TV tuner is ok.
But I think, at least for us, even now we never use the TV built in tuner.

We use a DVR with built in tuner. We can fast forward, rewind, skip commercials, pause and record even by program just like a pay tv box.
One example is TiVo tuner/recorder and schedule for your area. We have a channel master no longer sold but bought our son the TiVo which I like very much.

https://www.channelmaster.com/TiVo_Edge_OTA_DVR_p/rd6f50ls.htm

Last edited:
32" MAGNAVOX since '08 . Hard to let it go due to many inputs and prefer coax for digital out . Many new 32" have fewer inputs or the coax digital out . Dependability looks iffy for new T.V.s , including MAGNAVOX .

Last edited:
But why? I guess if you never want to watch TV on your time instead of the programs time

I’m a cord cutter.

I pay nothing for internet or phone.

If I want to see local sports they are free when they air but paywalled if I want to see them online.

Blue ray and DVDs are free, just checked out the last season of game of thrones.

Since I’m not real picky and mainly use internet to read whatever I get is good enough since I don’t watch much tv anyway.

To be honest when internet went up from $5 to $9.99 to $14.99 and then around $50 I lost interest.

I’m a cord cutter.

I pay nothing for internet or phone.

If I want to see local sports they are free when they air but paywalled if I want to see them online.

Blue ray and DVDs are free, just checked out the last season of game of thrones.

Since I’m not real picky and mainly use internet to read whatever I get is good enough since I don’t watch much tv anyway.

To be honest when internet went up from $5 to $9.99 to $14.99 and then around $50 I lost interest.
So-lets be clear. You are probably "piggy backing" on some one else WHO IS PAYING for it?

My (2) 2010 Samsung LCDs... a 46 inch 1080p and a 32 inch 720p still play as if new. They have never needed repair. If they die tomorrow...will probably buy two new Samsung. YMMV.

So-lets be clear. You are probably "piggy backing" on some one else WHO IS PAYING for it?

Sorta, I am required by work to carry their cell with a low data limit that works great for reading a web forum, news, email but not much else. They use it to nag me during vacation weekends midnight.

I am under a block from public WiFi including the library.

Back in the day (not that long ago) I just kept a $5 dialup account that covered for what I did online

I was grandfathered for $20 a month including tax unlimited local landline, when they started raising prices I complained and got 2 more years at $20 then cancelled after it skyrocketed.

My guess any lite user can get by with a cheap cell in any small city. I even might watch Pluto or YouTube occasionally

If I were forced to get everything myself again
wired internet is not competitively priced , there is minimal competition
one of my friends lived off sprints $15 unlimited Kickstarter for several years before t-Mobil booted him a few months ago. Google Fi again can be had for $15 again, so the cycle continues, unless I could get a cheap dsl sans the landline I would go wireless data only.

Personally YouTube poop and most scripted TV isn’t worth more than $10 a month anyway, DSL was $9.99 for many years but is being canceled in many areas removing the choice.

Not everyone needs a $44+ a month plan and the $15/unlimited plans are likely the solution if you have to have internet in this area at least.

But personally anyone living in anything small city or larger likely needs zero wired internet, public hot spots are extremely common the bigger the city and a cheap wireless plan can cover the rest.

As for streaming services there are hundreds of them and most suck, unlikely I would ever pay for one.

Last edited:
Back