TV Recommendations?

ATSC 3 is a “thing” now
If I were buying I wouldn’t buy a TV without it unless the clearance price was excellent

Recently read about it. A local ABC station is switching to ATSC 3.0 on December 3rd, 2020.

Rumor has it that ESPN will be eventually broadcast on the ABC sub channels across the USA and require a subscription to watch it.

I've taken apart and repaired quite a few TVs now. I've found LG panels in most. LG panels in a Sony, LG panels in a Vizio, etc. I personally find out somewhat older 1080p LG 50" TV looks better color-wise than a newer 4K Vizio TV. So with that in mind I'd probably go LG themselves. Apparently 19 brands use LG panels...

LG Display is a major supplier of OLED panels for TVs across the industry. 19 brands, including LG, Vizio, Sony, Panasonic, Hisense, Bang & Olufsen, and Toshiba, use LG Display OLED panels in their TVs according to FlatPanelsHD.

To me the best looking TVs that I saw abroad and the older ones I've came across here have actually been Panasonic, at least as far as color and image quality. But Panasonic is out of the US market, but still around in Canada. I think with any consumer electronic in general I'd choose Panasonic as I've pretty much never been let down by any of their products and they've lasted me an extremely long time sometimes under fairly abusive conditions.

I would start by deciding what size you want, then let the reviews help take you in the right direction. I am not so brand loyal with TV's, I base my decision off of research which includes reading reviews. We love our LG, and have had good luck with our Samsung also. I do like the LG interface better though.

Recently read about it. A local ABC station is switching to ATSC 3.0 on December 3rd, 2020.

Rumor has it that ESPN will be eventually broadcast on the ABC sub channels across the USA and require a subscription to watch it.
TV stations can not “switch” to ATSC 3.0, they can offer ATSC 3.0 but must maintain broadcasting both formats for at least five years so 1080p is not going any where soon. ATSC 3.0 is not a government mandate like the last one was. Its strictly optional fir the broadcaster
3.0 will benefit advertisers as they will be able to target your family based on what you watch and what ads you pay attention too.
5 years from now the tuners and hardware will be much advanced compared to what it is now.
I use a separate Channel Master turner, not the TV tuner so I can record OTA just like pay cable services offer now My future tuner with not be in the TV just like it’s not now. It will be TIVO or a Tuner DVR combo from the likes of Channel Master.
Just another perspective...
The industry will keep people feeling they need to replace their TV sets or change their buying decision. Same with 8k, it’s still almost impossible to get true unadulterated 4K except on a disc.
But they have to keep the TV sales increases year after year no matter the true reality of limited content, at this point in time.

Last edited:
3.0 will benefit advertisers as they will be able to target your family based on what you watch and what ads you pay attention too.
I read about this a while back. How would they be able to tell what your watching if the signal is broadcast everywhere? Something in the hardware in your TV?

I read about this a while back. How would they be able to tell what your watching if the signal is broadcast everywhere? Something in the hardware in your TV?

If your like me and don’t have an active internet connection there isn’t anything they can do

From what I read, via internet. So if you don’t have or don’t connect your ATSC 3.0 tuner to the internet they’d never know.

I've taken apart and repaired quite a few TVs now. I've found LG panels in most. LG panels in a Sony, LG panels in a Vizio, etc. I personally find out somewhat older 1080p LG 50" TV looks better color-wise than a newer 4K Vizio TV. So with that in mind I'd probably go LG themselves. Apparently 19 brands use LG panels...

To me the best looking TVs that I saw abroad and the older ones I've came across here have actually been Panasonic, at least as far as color and image quality. But Panasonic is out of the US market, but still around in Canada. I think with any consumer electronic in general I'd choose Panasonic as I've pretty much never been let down by any of their products and they've lasted me an extremely long time sometimes under fairly abusive conditions.
I am currently using two Panasonic plasma TV’s, both were upper end models...one is about (9) years old and the other is about (14). Haven’t had an issue with either one of them, like the “dark” color. Not sure what I would get today, sort of been out of the loop on TV technology...so I have interest in this discussion!
Tom,

I am currently using two Panasonic plasma TV’s, both were upper end models...one is about (9) years old and the other is about (14). Haven’t had an issue with either one of them, like the “dark” color. Not sure what I would get today, sort of been out of the loop on TV technology...so I have interest in this discussion!
Tom,
We have 2 Panasonic plasma's and when we upgraded for the living room we went OLED as they are very reminiscent of the "darker" plasma color profile and a very "plasma-esque" depth/contrast make for an amazing picture.

You should definitely check one out.

Paid $350 last year for a 65" Hisense Roku TV for our beach house. The picture is amazing. Just paid $1400 for a 75" TCL QLED TV for our primary home. 4K content has to be seen to be believed. But honestly, if you walk through the TV section of Costco or Best Buy, you'll find a great TV to fit your needs at a decent price right now. 75" TVs can be had for $500.

We have 2 Panasonic plasma's and when we upgraded for the living room we went OLED as they are very reminiscent of the "darker" plasma color profile and a very "plasma-esque" depth/contrast make for an amazing picture.

You should definitely check one out.
Yes, OLED is as good and superior to Plasma. We used to have a Plasma 58 inch Pani
We replaced it with a Sony x900 and love it even though is not OLED. For a reason. We have a bright room with 16 foot ceilings and windows, no curtains. I can testify the Sony picture is amazing with its black level. ALMOST 3 D looking and its super bright picture is the key in a bright room.
Expert reviews also commend the Sony for its amazing picture and black levels that are close to OLED with its multi array backlight and that is the key over cheaper sets. The other overlooked key is its super upscaling of non 4K content.

At the same time, if you have the proper room, (not to bright) OLED panels are the standard by which others are judged, including the Sony.

There are OLED (made by LG) panels and there are all the others, no matter what name other makers like the biggest offender SAMSUNG call their panels, they are just LED. Samsung tries to fool the public by calling their panels QLED. its a lie, its just a trademark, it is not a REAL QLED and it is meant to sound like OLED. Repeat - the Samsung panel is simply plain old LED backlit LCD screen with a tweak as many other makers of higher end sets have.

QLED is a trademark and are Samsung produced, Many speculate to fool the public into thinking they are getting an OLED, which ummmm ... like, yeah, who can deny Samungs marketing motives? Its a scam from Samsung.

OLED are LG produced TRUE OLED panels unlike any other panels on the market and the industry standard for back levels / dynamic range.

Anyway, Sony, Samsung and the others, when you get into the mid to higher priced sets from these makers, the LED screens are of better quality and back lighting, which give a better picture and comes close to OLED.
Also the electronics will better upscale non 4k to 4 k better.

Last edited:
Yes, OLED is as good and superior to Plasma. We used to have a Plasma 58 inch Pani
We replaced it with a Sony x900 and love it even though is not OLED. For a reason. We have a bright room with 16 foot ceilings and windows, no curtains. I can testify the Sony picture is amazing with its black level. ALMOST 3 D looking and its super bright picture is the key in a bright room.
Expert reviews also commend the Sony for its amazing picture and black levels that are close to OLED with its multi array backlight and that is the key over cheaper sets. The other overlooked key is its super upscaling of non 4K content.

At the same time, if you have the proper room, (not to bright) OLED panels are the standard by which others are judged, including the Sony.

There are OLED (made by LG) panels and there are all the others, no matter what name other makers like the biggest offender SAMSUNG call their panels, they are just LED. Samsung tries to fool the public by calling their panels QLED. its a lie, its just a trademark, it is not a REAL QLED and it is meant to sound like OLED. Repeat - the Samsung panel is simply plain old LED backlit LCD screen with a tweak as many other makers of higher end sets have.

QLED is a trademark and are Samsung produced, Many speculate to fool the public into thinking they are getting an OLED, which ummmm ... like, yeah, who can deny Samungs marketing motives? Its a scam from Samsung.

OLED are LG produced TRUE OLED panels unlike any other panels on the market and the industry standard for back levels / dynamic range.

Anyway, Sony, Samsung and the others, when you get into the mid to higher priced sets from these makers, the LED screens are of better quality and back lighting, which give a better picture and comes close to OLED.
Also the electronics will better upscale non 4k to 4 k better.
Our living room OLED is set up where it has no direct lighting behind the screen and only a small portion of one corner gets hit with early morning sunlight, we did bring in a Sony at first and it was to bright for us......it had a really GREAT picture but from years of the more passive plasma picture we decided to try the OLED and love it.

And I agree with everything you say about Samsung and the QLED being a sad marketing gig, our brother in-law recently replaced his older Samsung LED with a new QLED and honestly OTA and streaming looks no different from the old one, the 4k HDR looks good but really it should look good on all TV's.

Our living room OLED is set up where it has no direct lighting behind the screen and only a small portion of one corner gets hit with early morning sunlight, we did bring in a Sony at first and it was to bright for us......it had a really GREAT picture but from years of the more passive plasma picture we decided to try the OLED and love it.

And I agree with everything you say about Samsung and the QLED being a sad marketing gig, our brother in-law recently replaced his older Samsung LED with a new QLED and honestly OTA and streaming looks no different from the old one, the 4k HDR looks good but really it should look good on all TV's.
Yes I agree, this link further explains it for others in here, best definition I have seen.
Sony actually released the technology that Samsung calls QLED all the way back in 2013 !

Samsung named it QLED to mislead the public into thinking they were getting OLED (or something close to it) Well good for Samsung, they arent criminals for selling you 10 year old technology, but if you care about ethics, you would avoid their products in the future, more so if you were one of the ones scammed by thinking you were getting something special by buying a QLED.

https://colorfy.net/oled-vs-qled/

^^^ Love it!

NOT only that, but Samsungs QLED isnt even really QLED, NOT real QLED.
"At a complaint to South Korea’s Fair Trade Commission (FTC), LG maintained that Samsung’s so-called QLED TVs aren’t genuine QLED TVs in Any Way. That is because according to LG, a real QLED TV would utilize quantum dot LEDs that emit their own light, rather than the quantum-dot-film-over-an-LED-backlight which Samsung uses."

(there is such a thing as Quantum-dot led, but you wont find it in ANY Samsung TV or any TV right now, too expensive! *LOL*)

Last edited:
I currently have a 50” Kuro Elite in my main HTS and a 42” Panasonic plasma in my basement TV/gaming system. The seating in the main HTS was moved back a bit so I’m looking at a 75” display(the Elite will move to the basement). I’ve narrowed my choices down to either a Sony 950H or a Sony A9G and I’m likely going with a Panasonic DP-UB820 BD player.
I would love to save a few dollars and go with the LCD display, but I’m afraid that after spending over a decade watching the Elite I won’t be happy with anything other than a OLED display.

If you want simplicity of operation the Roku TVs are tough to beat. I hate multiple remotes and complicated remote controls with a huge number of buttons. A few years ago we bought a 28" TCL Roku TV to replace the 19" Toshiba set we'd been using in the living room since 1984 and it's very easy to use. I don't think the TCL is going to last over 30 years like the Toshiba did though.

How much do you want to spend?

I'm fine with Vizio prices...but I avoid smart TV's, since I rather plug in a fire stick instead.

Reactions: JC1
Back