Turbotax sucks, imo.

Used Turbotax for years and then came to the same conclusion that you did and I decided enough was enough. Heard others on here toting Free Tax USA and now that I've used it for my 2020 return, including 2 state returns, I'm 100% going to be a return customer. It's also way less bloated as far as the software goes.

I've used TurboTax for years. It works reasonably well and I have quite complicated taxes. It hasn't been expensive.

The only problem I've had was when I retired (ie stopped being self employed). The TT system insisted I continue to use the more expensive "I have self employment income" version if I wanted to retain last year's data. Or at least I couldn't figure out how to do it. So I started with a clean sheet and all has been well since.

Join CreditKarma and do both Fed & State for free. Sure, they will pitch other products & services, but their free services are solid (free tax software, free credit scores, etc.)

And my last year included Schedules 3, B, 8889, D, 8949, 5695, and 8888. All free.

Interesting, Credit Karma is one of the many things Turbotax tried to sell me.

CreditKarma is free. I always use Turbo Tax but decided to use both this year (didn't hit submit) and they came to the exact same refund, Turbo Tax was free too. I stayed with them since I always use them.

CreditKarma is free. I always use Turbo Tax but decided to use both this year (didn't hit submit) and they came to the exact same refund, Turbo Tax was free too. I stayed with them since I always use them.
I used Turbo Tax in the past, but bumped up into "paying" category due to the complexity of my return. Do you have a relatively simple return, or have they increased the pool of people eligible with more complex returns?

Turbotax's free offering is only for people with gross income below $39k/year. Others have higher limits.

That is incorrect.

Turbotax Free Edition does not have an income limit, but is limited to simple tax returns

There is another version called IRS Free File (formerly Freedom Edition) that is for people making under $39k, or for active duty military upto $72k, as well as anyone who qualifies for the EIC. This version allows slightly more forms than teh regular free edition that doesn't limit income

I own a business and farm in addition to full time employment. I also have several capital gains/losses from other investment accounts. H&R Block does mine and has been around $300 or slightly less for years. The lady that does mine owns the local franchise as well as our contract license office. Her husband is a very well established local HVAC and plumbing guy. I trust that she knows small business tax laws well with the number of irons they have in the fire too.

I used Credit Karma for the first time this year. It was great. I was waiting for a gotcha moment for them to try to charge me but it never came. 100% free. And it was easy too.

I just spent $140 and over an hour of my time doing what should have been a relatively simple tax return only to be marketed to and be stuck dealing with stupid animations at every step of the process. How do they get away with charging $90 for federal and $50 for state taxes and then use your information to sell you on dozens of additional products?

Does anyone have any suggestions for other tax preparation software? I think some alternative recommendations may help others.
Depending on your income, you might be able to use IRS free file.

I’ve used turbo tax for years, it does take some getting used to but once you do it’s not that bad. But yeah, if you aren’t used to it and press the wrong button?? You’re off to never never land.

I used Credit Karma for the time this year also. My returns are easy, just a few 1099's. Turbo Tax is fine but too expensive for my needs.

Credit Karma is a dandy free Tax preparing and filing for even moderately complex returns. I used it prior to the IRS opening their portal this year. They filed my return on the first day with the IRS. My refund was in my checking account in 5 business days. Eureka!!!!!!!

Self employed ?
Unless you have really complex return that sounds crazy $$$ to me.
I’m not the OP but my wife started a law practice in November last year so using TurboTax will set me back $150 after a 20 dollar discount. Plus stocks, dividends, W2s etc. and I’m an accountant at a large firm haha. I can use their software but I’m not trained on it and don’t do taxes as my day job so whatever. At least I know it’s right

I'm not sure I TRUST TT.

I use them. In fact for my businesses now as well. Saved over $1000 in real money. (cost of TT biz (~189, v. paying tax accountants~1500) - of course that doesn't include my time...............no details but I had to separately buy the personal small biz TT, but do every year anyway. BUT I digress..........

Here's MY reason. Certain people got gov C19 Phun Money and these people used TT. Somehow TT is in the loop. These folks should have received the FULL amount for US, but got reduced amounts...........and the only statement they received was from TT. No one, not one person at TT could explain.

So when tax time came (now) TT asks, how much they should have received (full amount) and the enter amount really received (less than full amount) and NOW receive tax credit for the difference.

Where did the real money go?

Back