Turbotax sucks, imo.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I just spent $140 and over an hour of my time doing what should have been a relatively simple tax return only to be marketed to and be stuck dealing with stupid animations at every step of the process. How do they get away with charging $90 for federal and $50 for state taxes and then use your information to sell you on dozens of additional products?

Does anyone have any suggestions for other tax preparation software? I think some alternative recommendations may help others.

I use TurboTax and it's free online (at least in Canada). No issues if you have fairly simple tax return. I have done taxes for last 20 years using various software and TT was simplest to use. Just annoying to look at upgrade ads every third page, but it's free so I can tolerate it for now.

I’ve used the H&R Block website since 2006. I think I paid around $45 for just the federal return this year. My return is maybe slightly more complex than the basic with my rental house and capital gains/losses from our brokerage accounts. I have no complaints.

Since I started doing my taxes I used turbotax then taxact then HR block until those three all started charging for simple forms like an HSA. Or stock sales.
Since then
Freetaxusa for the last 4 years.

Last edited:
I'm super organized and have all necessary paperwork readily available and organized, but I just pay someone to do it. Been using the same woman for 30 years. She cost $500 this year but she's worth every penny. All my wife and I have to do is sign on the dotted line.

Scott

I’ve used Tax Act for several years now, and it’s not cost me a dime, worked fine every time.
I've used it for years too, and don't need a state return in FL, but somehow they always get me for about $18.95. Not a big deal, but I also always sign up for their big "discount" offer around Oct. of the prior tax year.
I figure they have to make a buck somehow, so no biggie.

You selected one of their "upgrades" or else your return isn't "relatively simple". They charge $50 or $60, not $90 or if your income is low enough, it's free.

I had to do a schedule D. $90 for one form. 🤬

I just spent $140 and over an hour of my time doing what should have been a relatively simple tax return only to be marketed to and be stuck dealing with stupid animations at every step of the process. How do they get away with charging $90 for federal and $50 for state taxes and then use your information to sell you on dozens of additional products?

Does anyone have any suggestions for other tax preparation software? I think some alternative recommendations may help others.
Join CreditKarma and do both Fed & State for free. Sure, they will pitch other products & services, but their free services are solid (free tax software, free credit scores, etc.)

And my last year included Schedules 3, B, 8889, D, 8949, 5695, and 8888. All free.

Last edited:
I also used TurboTax, TaxCut and TaxAct for years. The prices ramped up to ludicrous level IMO. I've been using Credit Karma for the past 3yrs or so. It's totally free.. For now... Like some of the others used to be.

I'm super organized and have all necessary paperwork readily available and organized, but I just pay someone to do it. Been using the same woman for 30 years. She cost $500 this year but she's worth every penny. All my wife and I have to do is sign on the dotted line.

Scott
Self employed ?
Unless you have really complex return that sounds crazy $$$ to me.

I got the H&R Block Deluxe download this year for $30 on Newegg.com and it included the state software. I paid an additional $20 to e-file the state instead of printing and mailing. I was thrilled to pay $50 this year vs the $1100 my accountant got me for last year, part of which was from selling an investment property, but still too high IMO.

I use HR block from Amazon. About $30. IRS rejected my return again 🤦‍♂. It’s an IRS problem. Same thing last year. HR block gives nice directions for mail in filing. I would never be able to figure it out without them.

Back