Turbo Cooldown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many remote starters have a turbo mode where you can leave the vehicle running for a period of time then it will shut it down. You push two (the correct two) buttons at once and remove the keys and lock the doors.

I don't wait for the turbo to cool down on my 04' Audi A4 1.8T. Never have had an issue with the turbo itself, just all of the other [censored]. lol

Last edited:
Even when I had all my old turbo Mopars, I never cooled them down, but they were all water cooled. Never had a problem. The earliest one that failed was a Mitsubishi unit. It died at right about 120,000 miles. The rest of my cars had Garrett units they all went well over 150,000 miles like that. These were small car Turbos, that don't get the same work out as a larger truck that is towing. Not sure what you should do, but if they are costly I imagine a minute or two to cool off won't kill you.

Depends, generally I let it idle for 5-10 seconds before I shut it off, unless I just revved the heck out of it for whatever reason. It's got water cooled bearings and housings, and as a GM engineer told me, they have it designed to maintain coolant flow via natural convection after shutdown.

I let the idle drop to minimum then give it 5-10 seconds just to be sure the turbo is spooled down. If I come directly off the highway into a rest stop I'll give it 30 seconds or so. If it's been under boost climbing a grade I'll give it about a minute.

This is on a Subaru designed to thermosiphon coolant through the turbo after shutdown.

Ed

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Btw what turbo is not water cooled in the last 25 years?

The Neon SRT-4 turbo was oil-cooled ONLY.

the stock turbo is water cooled.

If my oil temps are higher than normal. I will let it idle for a minute or two. If oil temps are less than 205, I will just shut it down.

coolantreturnhosekl2.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hooligan24
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Btw what turbo is not water cooled in the last 25 years?

The Neon SRT-4 turbo was oil-cooled ONLY.

the stock turbo is water cooled.

If my oil temps are higher than normal. I will let it idle for a minute or two. If oil temps are less than 205, I will just shut it down.

coolantreturnhosekl2.png

I stand corrected, sir!

I drive a manual so on the last couple of streets home, I'll accelerate gently into third gear then pop it into neutral and coast down the street. By the time I pull in my drive, the turbo is settled down.

Because of where I live, I have to drive about 30mph through the neighborhood for ~ 2mi. before I get to my house. That's my cool down.

My previous sled was an 85 SAAB 900T without a water-cooled turbo. Lived in the same place. I took to opening the hood at the end of the day to ventilate the engine compartment before pulling her inside. Definitely kept the garage cooler during the Summer. Original turbo lasted 205,000 mi this way on synthetic.

The Volvo T5 gets the same treatment, but the turbo is water-cooled. Still open the hood at the end of the day to dump the heat before pulling in the garage. It's a habit now. I keep my cars a LONG time though....

It depends on my driving. I had a pyrometer on my Cummins, so I knew what the temp was and usually waited for it to show 300 before shutting down. Mostly, I found the slow driving on side streets to the house was adequate. Going up hill and then stopping, I always let it cool. Going to Lake Mohave is all downhill, so it is already cool.

On my VW I go by what I learned from my Dodge. I don't drive any of my vehicles hard.

After a long pull with a load, I'll give the Dodge Cummins about 3 or 4 minutes of idle time. Just normal driving, its cooled down before I get to the house, putting down the side streets.

I let it cool down for about a minute or two, no matter how I was driving before. I think it's a good way to get a long life out of your turbo-I read an article somewhere about a guy with an 80's Saab 900 with well over 200k, and he said it was one of the things he did.

This is really easy to do, in fact-it's called "wait for the song to end".

Oh yeah: TD-04 turbo, original, with 110k miles.

Way back when I had my turbo DSM, I would let it idle while I concealed radar detector, rolled windows up, turned stereo down, etc. This typically took a good 20-30 secs. If you are too worried, buy a turbo timer.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Zero time. I don't rally slide into my parking space, so the time it takes to slow down and park is more than sufficient.

< Water-cooled turbo

Really? Which turbo set up do you have?

I don't give mine too much time IF at all, but like the 2nd poster said..... If I beat on them... I've give it a min.

I dunno, but running the car an extra 12 hours a year does not seem necessary. It wastes fuel, at a minimum.
I don't come blazing to a parking spot and turn a turbo off, but let it idle while I take off the seat belt, gather my things, etc. Not long at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back