Turbo Cooldown

I have never waited in the Malibu, and I had no less than 7 2.2/2.5 turbo Dodges from the 80's early 90's and never waited on any of those either and a few were running big boost for the time. All of mine have been water cooled.

most turbos ARE NOT ball bearing, so regular oil changes + quality synthetic oil + REAL synthetics are best!! 200 thou on my 2001 jetta 1.8T + now my 2001 TT 225Q that has an after run pump, but ONLY 4.25 qts of oil + it gets REAL synthetic as well. the jetta bought new was tight + got 10-30 lifetime in Pa weather + my lo mile but loose preowned TT gets 15W50 +shows more vacuum than when i ran 10-40 + uses less as well!

lifting the hood if in a safe area + you can hang out there a bit can help as its HOT under there. the GN's were "sleepers" for sure, a great Hot Rod!!

I have an Ecoboost. I drive it and turn it off when I reach my destination.

Honestly, if that's not enough, then it was a bad design to begin with.

The only time I change my driving habits with the truck is when I'm towing the travel trailer. On those days the truck never gets shut off until we reach the destination. Otherwise, it sits there and idles. Yes, it ends up heat-soaking the intercooler, but as soon as we start moving the IAT's come back down and everything cools off. I prefer the coolant and oil keep circulating since that motor works pretty hard pulling the camper around. Once we get to the site (or home) the truck keeps running until I detach the trailer.

Otherwise, I just drive gently the last part of my trip and consider that enough cooling time.

Last edited:
On vehicles with the 4-cyl Ecoboost 1.5, it has an electric water pump plumbed into the coolant circuit that covers the turbo and air-to-water intercooler that is bolted to the intake. After shutdown, the electric pump continues to run for an addtional 5 minutes. Just for reference, the 3-cyl Ecoboost motors in the Bronco Sport and Escape are air-to-air.

the hurricane 2.0 in jeep form at least has an aux electric pump.
someone on the cherokee forum had the pump start to go bad .. it was very clear what it was.

Turbo cooling with oil and water.
1699849180159.jpg

My Mini Cooper S turbo is water cooled and I usually give it a minute after a long drive back to just let oil and coolant circulate.

When it was on full boil, the car has a feature that continues to run coolant through the turbo after shutdown. I’ve heard it running a few times after I’ve gotten out.

I feel like this turbo (rebuilt with a new Rotomaster “cartridge” after the original bearings were failing) will last with my process. At least, last as long (126k).

I drive my car very conservatively the last mile or so before I shut off the engine. The turbo is water cooled. The turbo's cooling system has its own electric pump.

No, not always. There is a guy who rebuilds Mini Cooper turbos and he said he gets a high # of them with coked turbo shafts, some really bad ones. They are water cooled and I can assume the extreme Mini's, the owner's know how to babysit their turbos. Yet he still gets coked turbos in on a regular basis he said. He is an advocate of cooling down "pushed" turbos.
Yeah that's gasoline engines for you. The exhaust runs way hotter at idle than diesels so you don't ever really cool them down by idling them.

I don't think it's a liability to idle them cooler- but I think the cool down issue was 20+ years ago when some tubo's had no water jackets. Better oils and water/oil coolant. Saying that- after heavy use, it's only prudent.

The old turbos with only oil cooling, they cooked the oil coking up the bearings because it was stagnant when the engine was off. Not the case with coolant as it will absorb the heat and rise in the system.

I suppose if the turbo was the high point in the cooling system then some sort of pump would be needed for a shut down cycle.

On vehicles with the 4-cyl Ecoboost 1.5, it has an electric water pump plumbed into the coolant circuit that covers the turbo and air-to-water intercooler that is bolted to the intake. After shutdown, the electric pump continues to run for an addtional 5 minutes. Just for reference, the 3-cyl Ecoboost motors in the Bronco Sport and Escape are air-to-air.
Ditto with the 2.7 eco. It’s about the size of a liquid cpu cooler pump, 1” thick by 2.5” circle, plumbed inline with the hoses, supported by the hoses. its not big, but it doesn’t have to be.

My 335 would run its water pump for 10-15 minutes after a 400 mile run. Id be more generous than not. Those turbos are still blowing hard at a quarter million miles.

Back