Tucson Hybrid - 1.6t Smartstream oil / break-in

Hello,

Checking in to see your opinions.

New Tucson hybrid few weeks old. Extracted the factory fill at 600 miles and replaced with PUP 0w-40. I was planning on doing another extraction / refill before a traditional oil change at 5k. Also considering a 30 over a 40. Mobile 1 Euro better than PUP? Redline and Amsoil Signature sent to top some of the wear test I have seen.

Reading through the forums and it looks like the 0w-20 as the only oil listed is a new CAFE thing. Anyway, opinions on best oil for this engine? It’s definitely prone to dilution.

I’ve been running Molygen 5w-40 in the fully tuned Stinger 3.3 for the a while now with good results. 4500 OCI

B48BE9A6-682D-43C8-AB3F-8B68DA981B77.jpeg

Hello,

Checking in to see your opinions.

New Tucson hybrid few weeks old. Extracted the factory fill at 600 miles and replaced with PUP 0w-40. I was planning on doing another extraction / refill before a traditional oil change at 5k. Also considering a 30 over a 40. Mobile 1 Euro better than PUP? Redline and Amsoil Signature sent to top some of the wear test I have seen.

Reading through the forums and it looks like the 0w-20 as the only oil listed is a new CAFE thing. Anyway, opinions on best oil for this engine? It’s definitely prone to dilution.

I’ve been running Molygen 5w-40 in the fully tuned Stinger 3.3 for the a while now with good results. 4500 OCI

View attachment 145048
What wear test have you seen?

What does your manual say?
Updated manual only list 0w-20. They only list CAFE oil now.

Previous manual and also standard on the same in engine in other makes.

Attachments

• 8E8ED82C-7268-43F2-9E40-B5F175301748.jpeg
    8E8ED82C-7268-43F2-9E40-B5F175301748.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 61
My Gen Coupe 2L turbo came from the factory with 5w20 but sufferers terrible from fuel dilution. They changed the oil weights to 5w30,40,50,60 depending on ambient temps.

I ran the 5w30 and at 5k mile had fuel dilution enough to recommend changing. I switched to 0w40 and ran that for years. Just switched back to 5w30 as I don't get enough miles in a year now for the OIC.

I test drove a santa Fe hybrid with the same power train as in the Tucson hybrid. First thing I noticed was the battery started us off rolling, then the cild engine started. Then shut down at stoplights. If I’m not mistaken, I’m thinking the 20w is there because of the sudden engine start and load?

Hyundai/Kia’s warranty reputation seems to be avoiding claims for any reason at all costs (barring some of the acknowledged product defects that would really damage its reputation). Not sure that I’d be brave enough to vary from recommended viscosity. And, in any event, isn’t a 10 year/100k powertrain warranty enough?

Hyundai/Kia’s warranty reputation seems to be avoiding claims for any reason at all costs (barring some of the acknowledged product defects that would really damage its reputation). Not sure that I’d be brave enough to vary from recommended viscosity. And, in any event, isn’t a 10 year/100k powertrain warranty enough?
Got 128k miles on the turbo and runs great. 188k miles on the rusty trusty accent. Run the oil that matches your needs. Hyundai isn't going to carp about oil grade, just lack of it or all carboned up.

5W40 Quaker State Full Synthetic with a 4K mile / 4 month OCI is a good choice for your turbo GDI engine .

Back