Trying Castrol magnetic for first time today

My most recent change is with Magnatec 5W-30, the dexos1 gen 2 flavor. I tend to run 6-month OCIs, but I still have some Blackstone sample bottles, so I'll try to get an oil analysis done in July.

I've been a Castrol fan too since the '80s, when I used to do my own changes. GTX was what I used in the Ford Maverick ("Made for today's smaller engines!") and the big Mercury Park Lane. Edge did not do well in my 3.8 Buick Park Avenue, it leaked too much, but that was ca. 10 years ago.

I got turned off Magnatec when literally after 300 miles of using it for the first time in my wife's 3.6 Wrangler the oil control solenoid in the oil pump failed. Of course there is no proof it was the oil that caused it, but still a bit suspicious.

With an on older car without a variable oil pump this would be no concern.
What happened to the engine when that solenoid goes out?

It’s been 2 years since I change the oil on my garage queen 2003 mustang cobra . My plan was using same set up Mobil 1 5w30 and Mobil 1 oil filter . Went to my local Walmart . Suprise NONE 5w30 weight I want . No Mobil miles

No penzoil platinum . Seem like all 5w30 full synthetic is sold out , dam pandemic .... anyway I have a choice between max life full sync 5w30 and castrol magnetic . I heard all those hype about magnetic ... so I pick up 2 gallon and fram ultra xg2 . Hope it live up to expectations . Will change it same time next years . This time I will do 1 years oil change since it say 3-5 month at a time .
Oh be careful of allergic reactions!

What happened to the engine when that solenoid goes out?

Gets stuck in either high or low pressure mode depending on in which mode the solenoid fails. High pressure mode everything works as normal but you get a CEL, and it's not great for the engine long term. Low pressure mode you can't go over 4000 rpm and you don't get any cam phasing.

Zero chance … you ever have that semi synthetic oxidize - and all this love I’m reading goes away …
Castrol Edge is far better oil, especially the EP, but I prefer to do business with American companies

Looking for honest opinions on Castrol 0w20 oils, would you rather use Magnatec at $20 per jug or Edge EP at $28 per jug?

If you are not doing "Extended" drains, I would use Magnatec. I had it one car (DI) and recently changed the oil after 5K mikes. Maybe a little too early maybe not. Color was still ok if it matters.

Looking for honest opinions on Castrol 0w20 oils, would you rather use Magnatec at $20 per jug or Edge EP at $28 per jug?
Honest opinion is we experienced oxidation in 3K … never saw before or after in this motor for 70k … or in decades of using other lubes …
For around $20 you can get QSUD … coupe bucks more there are many …

Having read all this I am tempted to use Magnatec on my next oil change in my 2l Diesel HDI engine. What is the difference between the Magnatec and Magnatec Professional? One says A3 and one C3? Is one just low SAPS so for newer diesel engines with DPF's etc?

Standard - https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69392-...synthetic-car-engine-oil.aspx?VariantID=91983
Professional - https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-205942...nal-a3-5w-40-engine-oil.aspx?VariantID=315647

Cheers :D
The A3 would be higher SAPS and lower HTHS, while the C3 would be lower SAPS and higher HTHS.

What does your owners manual call for ?

Honest opinion is we experienced oxidation in 3K … never saw before or after in this motor for 70k … or in decades of using other lubes …
For around $20 you can get QSUD … coupe bucks more there are many …

Curious how you determined or experienced oxidation?

Curious how you determined or experienced oxidation?
Extremely thick 5w20 when hot + coal black early in run … was not changing oil … checked it … dipstick corn dog
… car was taken to dealership … all good … Never any issues on QSUD, M1, or PG …

It’s been 2 years since I change the oil on my garage queen 2003 mustang cobra . My plan was using same set up Mobil 1 5w30 and Mobil 1 oil filter . Went to my local Walmart . Suprise NONE 5w30 weight I want . No Mobil miles

No penzoil platinum . Seem like all 5w30 full synthetic is sold out , dam pandemic .... anyway I have a choice between max life full sync 5w30 and castrol magnetic . I heard all those hype about magnetic ... so I pick up 2 gallon and fram ultra xg2 . Hope it live up to expectations . Will change it same time next years . This time I will do 1 years oil change since it say 3-5 month at a time .
Magnatec has been in all I've run for the last five years or so.

Reactions: SR5
The A3 would be higher SAPS and lower HTHS, while the C3 would be lower SAPS and higher HTHS.

Hi SR5.

It's from 1999 so it just states "Esso Ultra Diesel 10w-40 or Total Quarts Diesel 7000 10w40" So I'm guess these are both totally out of date haha! I can't find either.

I'll guess it'd require the A3 as SAPS levels only matter in DPF'd cars? In which case Magnatec Professional would be the one for me? I can't find specs on the Castrol website about which oil has what level of HTHS. Even in the tech sheet / MSDS sheet.

Correction
A3/B4 is high SAPS and high HTHS
C3 is low (or mid) SAPS and high HTHS
A5/B5 is high SAPS and low HTHS

Sorry I miss read A3 as A5, but the list above is correct. A5 is the thin one and A3 is the thick one, both are full SAPS. It’s the C oils which are low or mid SAPS.

Hi SR5.

It's from 1999 so it just states "Esso Ultra Diesel 10w-40 or Total Quarts Diesel 7000 10w40" So I'm guess these are both totally out of date haha! I can't find either.

I'll guess it'd require the A3 as SAPS levels only matter in DPF'd cars? In which case Magnatec Professional would be the one for me? I can't find specs on the Castrol website about which oil has what level of HTHS. Even in the tech sheet / MSDS sheet.
If the original spec was a 40 grade oil, then you definitely want a high HTHS oil. Given it’s age you want a high SAPS oil. Sounds like you have a PSA Group engine, so this leads me to think you need a A3/B4 oil.

Yes SAPS was higher in the old days, as fuel then had more sulphur and engines had no DPF. Now fuel has low sulphur and modern engines have a DPF so low SAPS to not clog the filter.

To be A3/B4 you need a HTHS of 3.5 cP or above. For a typical oil like M1 0W40 A3/B4 the HTHS is about 3.6 cP, this is fairly typical. Once you get up to 15W40 oils, they require a higher HTHS and something like 4.1 cP is more typical. They are typically carry HDEO specs like API CJ or ACEA Ex.

Having read all this I am tempted to use Magnatec on my next oil change in my 2l Diesel HDI engine. What is the difference between the Magnatec and Magnatec Professional? One says A3 and one C3? Is one just low SAPS so for newer diesel engines with DPF's etc?

Standard - https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69392-...synthetic-car-engine-oil.aspx?VariantID=91983
Professional - https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-205942...nal-a3-5w-40-engine-oil.aspx?VariantID=315647

Cheers :D
Out of those two, I would go the

Castrol MAGNATEC Professional A3 5W-40​

So, just changed out my oil to the Magnatec Professional 5w-40. Started, let it flush through nicely and then let it cool. On the next cold start the car is very quiet and smooth sounding. I don't think it's a placebo as I am very used to the sound of this car on start up and this is probably the quietest it's ever been straight after an oil change. (Done about 6 or so of my own oil changes on this car).

Back