Trying Castrol magnetic for first time today

I got turned off Magnatec when literally after 300 miles of using it for the first time in my wife's 3.6 Wrangler the oil control solenoid in the oil pump failed. Of course there is no proof it was the oil that caused it, but still a bit suspicious.

With an on older car without a variable oil pump this would be no concern.

It’s been 2 years since I change the oil on my garage queen 2003 mustang cobra . My plan was using same set up Mobil 1 5w30 and Mobil 1 oil filter . Went to my local Walmart . Suprise NONE 5w30 weight I want . No Mobil miles

No penzoil platinum . Seem like all 5w30 full synthetic is sold out , dam pandemic .... anyway I have a choice between max life full sync 5w30 and castrol magnetic . I heard all those hype about magnetic ... so I pick up 2 gallon and fram ultra xg2 . Hope it live up to expectations . Will change it same time next years . This time I will do 1 years oil change since it say 3-5 month at a time .
Interestingly, Advance Auto Parts discontinued the Magnatec line in my locale a year or so ago, for whatever reason.

Edge is their top oil, Magnatec quiets engines but has a poorer cold start performance and you may see a loss of power and quick revving when compared to EDGE.

GTX has been just meh or worse for decades with cheap add pack. I haven't looked at the formulation lately as I don't run it.

Just Subaru Idemitsu or Valvoline Advanced.

The best 0w20 and 5W30 on the market for reasonable cost.

Tried most all, most of the darlings were marginal or poor.

Valvoline Advanced.

The best 0w20 and 5W30 on the market for reasonable cost.

Tried most all, most of the darlings were marginal or poor.
I wanted to try Valvoline Full Syn HM but it's relatively thin and they list the NOACK for nearly all their oils I looked at as "<15". What the heck? I couldn't get past that. How have you concluded it is superior?

4WD, Blaming the oil for an engine/ fuel/driving pattern problem? It is oil, It's not magic :)

I DO Agree there are Better oils out there for cold start, power, longevity and cleanliness, but it isnt a "bad" oil.

I had the best luck with the old semi-synthetic version in a 5W30 grade. Ran it for a long OCI in my troubleprone, noisey Nissan QR25DE engine in the '14 Rogue. It was so good I didnt want to change it.

But now, I find the "magnatec" properties to overwhelming for a full sump, so I use it s as a top off "elixer" It does seem to quiet engines - even in small doses - if but for a short while.

Has it ever been exposed what BOP is employing here ? Maybe a film forming polymer like a functionalised poylmethacrylate?
-Ken
What effect did the whole sump of Magnatec have? Was too “thick” per se bogging it down a lil?

I'm running Full Synthetic Magnatec 10W30 in one car right now. According to their website, the Noack is 6.9 which it pretty good for the price! Pour point is -39C.

Next oil change is coming shortly and Pennzoil Platinum is going in ...

I'm afraid that only 1/2 quart (of 5.2 qts. total) in the filter will come out and the rest will "cling" forever ... but since I'm dealing with intelligent molecules, I should be able to talk it over! Communication is the key.

I'm running Full Synthetic Magnatec 10W30 in one car right now. According to their website, the Noack is 6.9 which it pretty good for the price! Pour point is -39C.

Next oil change is coming shortly and Pennzoil Platinum is going in ...

I'm afraid that only 1/2 quart (of 5.2 qts. total) in the filter will come out and the rest will "cling" forever ... but since I'm dealing with intelligent molecules, I should be able to talk it over! Communication is the key.
Watch for signs of separation anxiety 😷

What effect did the whole sump of Magnatec have? Was too “thick” per se bogging it down a lil?
Not the semi-syn original release, which may have been a "special vat reserve" ringer lot to get you hooked.
That was great ALL Around.

I haven't been enamored with the full syn version after running it right after the ringer semi-syn and noting nothing superior about it. I have used the 5W20 for top off on the wife's Subaru Impreza Crosstrek.

But, I'm done with all that now, I use M1 0W40 FS or M1EP 0W20 for top off depending on Winter or Summer.
The current Subaru-Idemitsu oil is superior to any Walmart stocked oil - in situ in the FB2.0

Haven't figured out what to use on the old Subaru EJ yet. No top off required - though its supposed to be a "oil burner"
given all the empty PYB littering the back seat when I picked it up.

It’s been 2 years since I change the oil on my garage queen 2003 mustang cobra . My plan was using same set up Mobil 1 5w30 and Mobil 1 oil filter . Went to my local Walmart . Suprise NONE 5w30 weight I want . No Mobil miles

No penzoil platinum . Seem like all 5w30 full synthetic is sold out , dam pandemic .... anyway I have a choice between max life full sync 5w30 and castrol magnetic . I heard all those hype about magnetic ... so I pick up 2 gallon and fram ultra xg2 . Hope it live up to exhpectations . Will change it same time next years . This time I will do 1 years oil change since it say 3-5 month at a time .
That's why some of us have a stash!

Back