Truth at the pump - Ethanol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why I would prefer E-zero gasoline (from both a slight performace improvement and a political reasons) I just don't sweat it anymore. We've had E10 for years now in the NYC-Metro area and the cars and bikes do OK with it, so I worry about more important stuff. (Like who makes the "best" 0w30!)

I don't care what the experts say about no or minimal difference between Straight gas and E10. E10 will take between 8-15% off your gas mileage. There is a push for the EPA to test new vehicles MPG's using E10. Right now they are using straight gas to get their numbers.

I have seen Prius owners posting on how their fuel mileage dumped five to eight mpg when they filled up with E10.
All the MPG boards want the ethanol out of the gasoline sold in this country.

The ethanol is a scam to raise fuel taxes. If your car or truck is taking a 8% percent hit in fuel mileage then you are buying 8% more gas. That means your paying 8% more in fuel taxes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Are there any existing laws that REQUIRE gas stations to notify consumers if the gasoline being served contains up to 10% Ethanol? (basically, not "100% gas"). Or is it just a "nice gesture" for them to notify?

I don't know if there are any federal or local laws that say they must, but you can be almost 100% sure that your gas has ethanol during the winter months.

The government likes to play games with the gas consumer. They will switch over to a new formula for a year before telling anyone. This way they can test the new fuel without the hypochondriac reaction. Back in the 80's, the unleaded and leaded gas was 100% the same except for the color. They were selling unleaded fuel as leaded fuel for over 3 years. nobody really complained. Then when they told people they were going to switch over, suddenly every engine problem was blamed on the unleaded fuel. They did the same thing with MTBE.

Does the EPA rate the gas mileage of vehicles with straight gas or with E10? If it's straight gas, then the EPA is pulling one over on us.

we were told by a convenient store employee we frequent that they were doing away with ethanol gas due to problems it caused with their fuel pump systems . Sure enough , they dropped the ethanol and now carry non-E gas . Wonder if this could be an issue for our vehicles in the long run . Doubt the government or refinery industry would tells us .

Last edited:
I head that filters have to be changed more often with ethanol in the gas, not sure why though.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Back in the 80's, the unleaded and leaded gas was 100% the same except for the color. They were selling unleaded fuel as leaded fuel for over 3 years. nobody really complained. Then when they told people they were going to switch over, suddenly every engine problem was blamed on the unleaded fuel.

doubtful

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Does the EPA rate the gas mileage of vehicles with straight gas or with E10? If it's straight gas, then the EPA is pulling one over on us.

The EPA is pulling one over on us.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Back in the 80's, the unleaded and leaded gas was 100% the same except for the color. They were selling unleaded fuel as leaded fuel for over 3 years. nobody really complained. Then when they told people they were going to switch over, suddenly every engine problem was blamed on the unleaded fuel.

Don't you mean in the Seventies? By the Eighties, as I recall, leaded fuel had been phased out nearly everywhere. (Though I did see a leaded gas pump in the Denver area back in about 1999. It must have been the real thing; its nozzle wouldn't fit my car.)

I was able to get leaded gas for my 71 Cutlass from only a few select gas stations in the Detroit area up until 1992. After that it was gone.

I worked in a Exxon station in the mid-late '80's, We had Exxon Regular (leaded) Exxon Unleaded and Exxon Extra Premium (Unleaded). The Regular was definitely not the same gas as the unleaded.

They couldn't. Back in 1975 there were too many cars that were up to 15 years old that couldn't tolerate unleaded. In the 80s, they could phase out leaded gas since the cars that absolutely needed it were either gone or were collectibles.

The word I had from the LA Dept. of Agriculture was this:

"Labeling of pumps dispensing ethanol blended fuels was not required in Louisiana prior to December 20, 2008. The old law requiring labeling had been repealed in or around 2004. On December 20, 2008 a new rule requiring these dispensers be labeled became effective."

Now that doesn't mean Louisiana will *do* anything about it. Laws here, as in most of the US today, are merely guidelines, to be ignored when inconvenient. Wal-Mart complies, but who knows if the other stations do?

For my part, I'm sticking with stations where my MPG stays up when I use their gas. They're usually cheaper than the big name stations anyway.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
that must have been some old gas drew, i was under the impression they quit putting lead in regular gas in 1975

My first car ('73 AMC Hornet) could run either leaded or unleaded. I remember using leaded gas because it was cheaper. I turned 16 in 1984. They finally stopped selling leaded altogether a year or two after that time.

I think in my state about a year ago it was signed into law that all gas had to have a 10% ethy mix. I say I think because Im not sure if it was overturned yet..but it was signed into law.

ETA: Boat owners are not happy bout that one.

Last edited:
I know I get better fuel mileage out of my 99 Buick LeSabre with ethanol-free gas. It is more expensive around here to the tune of 10 cents/gallon, which translates into an additional $1.50 every tank.

Extra 50 miles/tank easily makes up for the additional cost in a car that gets ~20 mpg in the city.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
that must have been some old gas drew, i was under the impression they quit putting lead in regular gas in 1975

That's what I thought too, until I visited rural Arizona in mid 1990's and tried to buy gas. The distributor was bigger and would not fit my car. I looked again at the pump and it was leaded.
They had another pump for unleaded.

In 1975, it wasn't that they got rid of leaded gas. That was when all stations were forced to offer unleaded fuel because cars had catalytic converters. Lead poisons catalytic converters.

Up to 1974, virtually all vehicles did not have coverters. Starting with model year 1975, virtually all cars HAD catalytic converters. The only exception was Honda, who waited until 1976.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back