"Contains a trace amount of ethanol"

A while back, I stopped for gas at a Conoco along I-29 in southern South Dakota. The 87 and 89 had 10% ethanol stickers, as expected. But the 91 had a sticker that said "Contains a trace amount of ethanol" rather than stating that it had no ethanol in it, as you might expect, particularly since the pump had a hose for each grade. Does anyone know why they did this? (The picture is from last fall, so that's why the prices are high... close to a dollar cheaper now!)

IMG_7835.PNG

IMG_7836.PNG

Yep. Lawyers.

Most likely is the tanker trucks and their hoses that fill the stations tanks might have a very tiny residue of ethanol in the system. Unless you have a GC and the approiapaite ASTM method on hand, you could never tell otherwise though.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Yep. Lawyers.

Most likely is the tanker trucks and their hoses that fill the stations tanks might have a very tiny residue of ethanol in the system. Unless you have a GC and the approiapaite ASTM method on hand, you could never tell otherwise though.

That seems the most likely answer.

You can always tell when a lawyer had his/her hands on something. Our toothpaste says "Makes you feel like your breath is fresh all day," Does not say"Your breath will be fresh all day." So I agree with gfh77664!

If the station ever sold ethanolated premium there would be some amount left in the underground tank. Along with various other places in the supply chain where mixing could occur.

Originally Posted by spk2000
Trace amounts from the previous person fueling their car on regular or midgrade too

Yeah, that'd make sense on a newer 1-hose pump, but this has a dedicated hose for each grade. Each grade should remain separate.

Yeah, 91 Octane + 10% Ethanol = 93 Octane. Leave out the ethanol and it's 91, but the truck had 87 in it previously so there will be a trace amount.

Along with various other places in the supply chain where mixing could occur.

Ethanol is only put in at the terminal level. There are no pipelined or barged products with ethanol already mixed in. This would make the product to susceptible to water contamination.
That only leaves the tanker truck, and MAYBE the station tank.

The station tank only happens when somebody (remember, it's more of an art than a science) over orders, or over delivers 87 (w/eth). Guess where the excess 87 goes? yep, 89 first, then 91 next. Unless the owner is VERY independent. Then it's 91 first!
smirk.gif

Originally Posted by TmanP
Originally Posted by spk2000
Trace amounts from the previous person fueling their car on regular or midgrade too

Yeah, that'd make sense on a newer 1-hose pump, but this has a dedicated hose for each grade. Each grade should remain separate.

Good point I didn't notice that in the picture. Thanks.

Ethanol/methanol is for racing. Gasoline is for cleaning parts and starting brush fire piles.

. Gasoline is for cleaning parts and starting brush fire piles.

Don't EVER do this! ^

My friend took the scars from this to his grave!

Originally Posted by JohnG
. Gasoline is for cleaning parts and starting brush fire piles.

Don't EVER do this! ^

My friend took the scars from this to his grave!

Actually I still know a few shops that still use Gasoline to clean parts.

Back