Troy-Bilt 340XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a Troy-Bilt 340XP at Lowes last nite. Gettin' tired of fighting the push mower (reliable old 2-stroke LawnBoy) up the hills in my yard (they seem to have gotten higher in the past 25 years
frown.gif
). The T-B has the B&S "premium" (whatever that means) 7.75 rate torque engine.

I was looking at the LawnBoy "Insights", but read some reviews about problems with the drive units - the one guy said his was replaced 3 times in the first year...
shocked2.gif

Toro is top of the line of course, but $600 is a lot to swallow...
crazy2.gif

We'll see.

Side note, I'm sending a sample of the B&S 30 weight SJ/CF oil in for VOA. I'll post when Blackstone responds.
thumbsup2.gif

That's a good looking mower. You'll love that OHV B&S engine. The only issue I've seen over the years with the big rear wheel push mowers is; The big wheels tend to exert excessive force on their hubs and associated hardware and stuff breaks easier than on the small wheels.

Joel

Quote:
The only issue I've seen over the years with the big rear wheel push mowers is; The big wheels tend to exert excessive force on their hubs and associated hardware and stuff breaks easier than on the small wheels.
Great, something else to worry about.
27.gif

We'll see what happens....

I have basically the same mower except with the Honda engine. This is my 2nd season with it and so far its been great. I only use it to mulch so I don't have any experience with the bag yet. You'll love the single handle height adjustment. Pick up some WD40 and spray the rear wheel gears once a month or so. The manual says to use motor oil but I use WD40. It'll prevent some not-so-great squeeling down the road. And don't put a Gator Blade on it. I tried one and it did not like it very much.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
I have basically the same mower except with the Honda engine. This is my 2nd season with it and so far its been great. I only use it to mulch so I don't have any experience with the bag yet. You'll love the single handle height adjustment. Pick up some WD40 and spray the rear wheel gears once a month or so. The manual says to use motor oil but I use WD40. It'll prevent some not-so-great squeeling down the road. And don't put a Gator Blade on it. I tried one and it did not like it very much.

Thanks for the tips. Maybe I'll get a chance to try it out this afternoon. All this rain has the grass growing like crazy..

Nice mower! Do the minimal maintenance and it will last until the wheels fall off or the deck becomes swiss cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back