Troy-Bilt Bronco 19-HP automatic tractor longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a previous thread I had mentioned the no start issue with my old Troy Bilt mower with a B&S engine (I haven't had time to tinker with it and use the suggestions for valve adjustment).

I went ahead and bought another riding mower, It's called "Troy-Bilt Bronco 19-HP Automatic 42-in Riding Lawn Mower" with what the website says has an automatic CVT transmission and a 19HP Kohler engine.

I want to avoid the fate of the previous tractor and was wondering what the proper maintenance is as recommended by BITOG friends. Both for the engine and transmission longevity.

link to Troy Bilt

http://www.troybilt.com/equipment/troybilt/bronco%E2%84%A2-lawn-tractor-bronco-2017

Last edited:
This rider has a belt and variator pulley drive system. It used to called MTD's TransMatic transaxle. I would have recommended avoiding this, but it's a bit late for that. Best thing you can do for engine/trans/whole machine is keep it clean and dry. Set the cutting deck so it doesn't bang around on the ground when mowing and always scrape the underside of the deck with a stick after use and blow the whole machine off with a leaf blower after each mowing.

Transmatics tend to fall out of adjustment quickly and generally are a royal PITA. What happens is eventually the bushing for the sliding sheave on the variator stops allowing the movable sheave to move and you loose ground speeds.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a black plastic transaxle casing.
Basically one forward gear, one reverse gear. Variable pulley on top.
OO gear grease. No internal maintanence.

Its a disposable POS lawn mower expect 5 years or less and bolts and screws falling out all over the place... and you wont be disappointed.

One of the reasons I went out and bought a 30 year old tractor.. was in my price range and its worth rebuilding/repairing.

Those box store cheapies are basically made out of tin foil. hitting a hole in your yard could result in bending.

Well Alfred, you and I are going to find out together (exact same model). Mine is starting up the third season with no problems so far. It does hang-start occasionally which I attribute to poorly designed Bendix integration. The battery was dead after the winter and I'm waiting to see if it holds a charge over the ten days or so since I first used it this season. Otherwise, new battery. Good luck to us, eh?

Get yourself the $5-6 (when on sale) Harbor Freight Tools trickle charger and keep that battery plugged in during long periods of no use. My Cheapo Craftsman LT2000 is from ~2008 and still has the original battery because of this.

Like said, best thing you can do for that variator trans is keep it clean and dry.

Well, I had one of those a few years back. The drive belt came off going up a slope and I almost flip the thing. I manage to put the belt back on and continue mowing. After few weeks, it started blowing smoke really bad and ran really rough so, shut the thing off and checked the oil. To my surprise, the oil level was about 1 qt too high and look very thin. I found out that the carburetor was letting the gravity fed gas into the crank case. I advise you to get a small fuel shut off valve and install it between the gas tank and the carburetor and make a habit of shutting off when done.

Originally Posted By: Todari09
I advise you to get a small fuel shut off valve and install it between the gas tank and the carburetor and make a habit of shutting off when done.

Yes they all do it. After a few years EVERY SINGLE ONE leaks fuel through the carb into the crankcase(oil). Its just a design flaw with the gravity fed gas tank design..

A fuel shutoff is extremely easy to install and works well.

I have or previously had to maintain 3 different cheapo riders with gravity fed fuel.. and all 3 did it within 5 years of new.

You can drill a small hole and install a nice one such as
this one

or just put one under the hood takes maybe 3min to install.
example underhood type

I use the cheap type on these disposable riders.. and the nice type on older Deere tractors.

Originally Posted By: GravelRoad
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a black plastic transaxle casing.
Basically one forward gear, one reverse gear. Variable pulley on top.
OO gear grease. No internal maintanence.

That's the General Transmissions RS-800 or RT-400. I've got one on my Ariens and it's a great unit. Seems to be holding up well. It needed an adjustment after year 1 and I e-mailed GT and they sent me the parts diagram, answered my questions, and even pointed me to a YouTube video on how to take it apart.

Last edited:
According to the parts diagrams for this machine, it's got the standard transmatic style transaxle. p/n 918-04566A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back