Briggs/Stratton SAE 30 SJ/CF

Recently I picked up a Toro 340 XP mower, which came with an 18 oz bottle of Briggs & Stratton branded oil. Out of curiosity, I had to send a sample off for analysis (I used Rotella 30 wt in the mower). Here's what Blackstone says: RON: This sample of Briggs & Stratton 30W oil had a viscosity in the high 20W-range. This shouldn't be a problem. No water or contamination was present in the sample. Insolubles were acceptably low at a trace level. The TBN of this sample is 9.8, and that's a fairly typical starting TBN for virgin motor oil. Calcium, boron, and magnesium perform a detergent/dispersant function, while the anti-wear additives come from phosphorus and zinc. This is serviceable oil. MI/HR ON OIL: MI/HR ON UNIT: DATE: 5-19-09 ALUMINUM: 0 CHROMIUM: 0 IRON: 0 COPPER: 0 LEAD: 0 TIN: 0 MOLY: 18 NICKEL: 0 MANGANESE: 0 SILVER: 0 TITANIUM: 0 POTASSIUM: 1 BORON: 27 SILICON: 2 SODIUM: 1 CALCIUM: 2212 MAGNESIUM: 16 PHOSPHOROUS: 1045 ZINC: 1164 BARIUM: 0 SUS VISC. @210F: 58.5 Cst Visc. @100C: 9.80 Flashpoint: 425 Fuel %: — Antifreeze %: — Water %: 0.0 Insolubles %: TR TBN:9.8 TAN: ISO Code:

Yeah, I don't see anything outstanding - a UOA might show a little more about how it shears and TBN retention... Heavyhitter's right, it looks like any other house brand oil. I heard their oil was made by Brad Penn, but that may have been the synthetic.

Thanks for the report. I just bought a Toro mower with a 190cc B&S engine. It came with a bottle of B&S SAE30 oil - probably the same one you had analyzed. I was planning to run GC 0w-30 in this engine, but I'm starting to think that's overkill. I might just go with Rotella 30.

That's a pretty strong oil. Thanks for posting, always been curious what is in the 'straight 30' that comes w/power equipment....

Been curious about this stuff too for my buddy's 63 Buick Nailhead. Do you think its a wide cut group-ii stock? Great and thanks RWEST. Now, is somebody gonna by a John Deere and do the 10w-30 SL?

Shame Blackstone don't include sulphur on their sheets. They will be measuring this as part of the ICP and it would tell you at a glance if this was Group II. Assuming this is made from Group II, it's not a bad little oil.

I am glad to hear that this B&S 30 wt oil is apparently a good oil. It is what I am using right now in my high wheeled weed trimmer, but for the winter I will use a 10W30 as the storage oil.

Wouldn't you know it. I just now tried to get some B&S 30 wt oil at Wal-Mart and they did not have any. So I just got some 30 wt SuperTech oil.

Last edited: