Bought a new mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The deck was really shot on my B&S powered beast that didn't owe me a penny and on top of that, whenever it got wet, it wouldn't start. I figured it was time to call it quits on the old girl and get a replacement.

Checked Costco and Canadian Tire, the former had a Poulan for $319.00 with a Honda engine, the latter had a Troy-Bilt with a Honda engine for $319.00. The former had a two year warranty, the latter had a four year warranty. I bought the Troy-Bilt.

Does a fantastic job, and is a fair bit lighter than the mower it replaced. My yard isn't big, so I just used it on mulch.

I bought this exact same mower about three years ago. I liked the powerful Honda engine and lack of self-propulsion (is that the correct word?). It always starts on the first pull, even to this day, and even after sitting for months.

A couple years ago, I moved to a house with about 3/4 an acre of grass, so had to get a riding mower, at which time the 'ol Troy Bilt was relegated to brush and super-tall-grass duty, neither of which it was really designed for. It will plod along through the thickest, grisliest grass & brush, though I have killed it from time to time on tree roots, large rocks and the like. I feel bad for subjecting a nice new mower to this duty, but it takes a licking and keeps on ticking and has never let me down.

The "auto-return" plastic choke lever sticks now (I assume from getting banged into things like the side of the house, air conditioning unit, etc.), so it never fully returns to the no-choke setting after starting, I have to do it manually, but that's how I prefer it.

Smokes a little on start-up, but all-in-all I love the mower & the Honda engine. Quiet, powerful and refined are three good words to describe it.

I've got the same mower, mine has the big rear wheels. I use Amsoil Small Engine for the last 5 years. Change it once a season. Great mower.

It calls for 10w-30 of SJ spec or better. I filled it with M1 0w-40
grin.gif

I did same for my 2004 GCV160 I put in service in the summer of '11(my guess is it'd never seen a previous oil change)... Checked it yesterday and it's now down just enough to be off the full mark, I suspect that's from a minor leak where the governor shaft exits the block... Guess I ought to be a nice guy and change it...

not a bad mower for the money-you got a honda engine. When I bought mine the only way to get a honda engine was with a honda or at least I thought so. I bought a toro has a kohler engine. Thing starts every time on a single pull (as it should being new) with a 2 year warranty for 289$

I like Honda's OPE engines as much as I like their on-road engines. That Troy-Bilt with the GCV160 will probably serve you well for many years. It's a newer type with the plastic front end; just watch that for wear and tear. Otherwise, should be fine for many years.

I disabled the "auto return" functionality of the choke on my GCV160. I never liked the timing of it. If you take the air cleaner off, you can see where you can bend a tab that effectively turns the choke into a manual choke. It works better that way in my opinion.

Last year I got a 2002 Toro Personal Pace mower off CL for $100. No bagger, no side discharge attachment. Honda 160cc motor. It's light years advanced from all other mowers I've had. I really like the Honda motor, and loved the auto-choke. One pull, wait 10 seconds or so, and off we go. Never had an problems with any grass or weeds, that motor pulled right through. Even when mowing the neighbor lady's yard that wasn't mowed for three weeks.

I thought I'd get a bag for it. $55 for the bag, $35 for the bag frame. Yuk. I checked CL to see what was being offered. Some guy had purchased a new Honda mower and was selling is 4 year old Toro PP 190cc mower...w/bag and w/side discharge attachment. $150! I couldn't get there fast enough, so took the afternoon off work to get it sooner.

Did the usual new mower stuff. Hosed out the bag, cleaned the under side of all the grass, hosed off/out all the grass from the bagger chute. Wash, no wax (yet). Took off the blade and gave it a good sharpening.

Then I changed the oil and air filter. The book says it uses 16-18.5 oz of oil. I turned it over and dumped the old out...looked like it was original. And there was 28 oz! OMG! The plug was black when I changed it, and the air filter had been oil soaked on the bottom two inches.

The first time I got it good and warm from use, oil smoke came out of the top when I shut it off. It doesn't do that now after several mowings but oil smoke does come out of the exhaust for 5-10 turns when I shut it off. I wonder how long that will continue.

$150 for a 4 yr old Toro with all the trimmings. Man, I must be living right at least a little. And I can sell the other mower for the $100 I paid for it. Yay.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I filled it with M1 0w-40
grin.gif

Like we didn't know that already! Bet the wife is excited to watch you test that oil every Saturday using N/S, E/W alternating patterns
thumbsup2.gif

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back