Traveling vehicle what would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim 5- 93-97 Landcruiser/Lexus Lx (FZJ80) have the 212hp inline 6. 98 onward (UZJ100) have the 4.7L V8.

A large SUV like you inferred is a good buy if slightly used. Their resale has plummeted due to them falling out of favor. I would pick the one you like the best.

I would suggest a test drive in a Ford Freestyle AWD. Great fuel mileage, smooth driving CVT trans.
And plenty of room for your dogs. They go through the snow with ease and you can get a loaded one for under $30,000 dollars. With ours we are getting 27 mpg on avge.And have seen up to 30mpg.
Have had no problems with it at all. 3 Boys Hockey gear we travel all over the midwest in the winter. It handles everything we have encounted.
And 5 star safety rated. 8 sec 0-60 times.
http://archiesfordstore.com/07FREESTYLE.pdf

Ok thank you all very much for taking time to post a reply to this question. I am far from a decision, I need to go test drive a few of the vehicles that I am considering. There is a lot of good recomendations here from all of you. I would prefer a SUV/Truck based vehicle compared to something like the subaru forester. Which is a greqat vehicle and its still in the back of my mind but I just feel safer setting a little higher and having more of a 4 wheel drive system to a all wheel drive system. Now the FJ recommendation, I was considering this vehicle before and I went and test drove it. I think it is too small for my needs. Right now I am leaning more towards the chevy 2500HD with a rear locker, a Avalanche with the rear locker, suburban, toyota 4runner, or a landcruiser. Going back to the more car based vehicles like the subaru I am also possibly considering the Volvo xc70. I still love hearing all the recommendations from everyone here. This is a perfect example of why this is such a great site. Thanks again.

I would love to have a Range Rover but the reliability is what worries me about that vehicle. Am I wrong?

I would get a FJ Cruiser but for cheap and big a Suburban is hard to beat. I think Suburbans are the absolute cheapest vehicles per pound.

You mentioned reliability as being important but then listed only American SUVs. I wouldn't list them as reliable but the good thing is that when they break, you'll be able to find parts wherever you go.

For absolute reliability, I'd recommend a Toyota SUV...FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, or used Land Cruiser in your price range.

Sorry, but some of you people are on crack if you think you are going to drive to Alaska with 3 75-90 lbs dogs in the back PLUS luggage in a Forester. It's not an either or, I wouldn't imagine. You certainly need something Suburban sized.

Or, what about an Avalanche w/ 4WD?

How about a VW Toureg? They're quite large and are comfortable.

For the cheaper size I must say the Chevy Tahoe is one of the most comfortable best vehicles you can get in the large SUV but not HUGE Suv catagory. Theyre easy to work on and reliable, parts are plentiful, and they get 21 or so on the highway.

Would a big Jeep work?

Yes I was thinking lately about the Avalanche with the Z71 package. And yes biomed I did mention reliability, I know Americans might not be the best for reliability but I have been going to some web sites lately about the suburbans and the 2500 chevy's and they do not appear to be that bad and the little reliability problems that were listed didn't seem like anything that would put me stuck at the side of the road. However because of the ultimate in reliability I am looking at the 4runner plus I think it is very capable off road. But liek Brian mentioned I am seriously thinking about the Avalanche as well. Thanks again.

I've had 3 seperate American trucks as work vehicles since 2000. I've never had an issue with any of them. I don't think truck quality is that bad here. If money were no object and I needed a truck, I'd take a nice avalanche. It'd fit the kids (similar to dogs but complain more) and the junk.

My irony was apparently lost upon Ramblin Fever. Once you have had a Great Pyrenees, a 70-90lb dog is not really very big.
Anyway, I personally don't like the idea of putting dogs in the back of a pickup under a cap. The average dog, or group of dogs, would rather be with their master and they do appreciate both heat and a/c. Finally, my experience has been that most larger breeds will lay it down and relax on long car trips.

Yes gedcruise I agree, I have a little Ford Ranger right now and I had to take all 3 dogs in that vehicle from central Florida to Georgia during one of the hurricanes 2 years ago. LOL well it was kind of fun to me but all 3 dogs stayed up front with me. I have a bench seat and a extended cab thank ***. But they all 3 relaxed and layed down and were very good for the whole trip both there and back. So I know these dogs are good travelers and I would not want to put them in the bed either. Thats one of the main reasons im looking into the suburban. But I also think a 4runner would be very capable aas well. Heck if I did it in a ranger im sure I could do it in a Avalance, suburban, or 4runner. But from Florida to georgia is completely different than from say Florida to California or to Alaska.

I was thinking Avalache because of the whole midgate thing. You could theretically let them go between the bed and the cab.

Thank you Brian I have not seen how this is set up in person yet but thats one of the things that sounded good about that truck to me too.

What I like may not turn out to be what you like. But I have been a Suzuki truck user since 1989, so what is that? 17 years now?

I used to run them from one end of the country to another, and never had a hiccup from them.

By contrast, I had a Ford Bronco from 95 to 98 1/2, and I had to think twice before driving it to my Mum's place 6 blocks away. Most times, it'd break down halfway.

I like to buy stuff that serves me, instead of buying stuff I have to be a slave to. That gets old really quick.

The newer 6-cylinder Suzooks are not as good as the old-style 4-cylinder ones, but they all give you more than your money's worth.

any of the trucks/suv's you see in commercials driving 70mph through the snow, you know, the ones where the camera pans away real fast so you don't see it smash into a guardrail or flip over in the ditch.

any of those will do you fine for alaska...

Wel, MCRN, the only reservation I have about the Suburban is its incredible thirst. I have used them in the past and they are very capable machines. I only lean toward the Aero because ours has been really trouble free, you can pick up a really nice '97 for very little money and fuel economy is pretty good. Minivans in general have an image problem, or course, but they are hard to beat for utility. One of my quirks is that anything below 20 mpg or so really offends me, at least for my personal use.

Lol, I read your post and new exactly what you did. Former traveling nurse speaking here. BTW, I have freinds traveling right now and they are making a killing.

Since you can write of your mileage (assuming you own a home), a lot of your expenses will be defered gas-wise anyway. The dogs are really the complicating factor.

Three pragmatic factors come to my mind are:

1) Size, you need space for you dogs.

2) Traction, a lot of popular travel destinations are in areas known for snow. Colorado, Maine, Northern MI (Traverse City), or here in the mountains of NC. Alaska also has asignements though most folks try and go in the summer.

3) Towing Capacity, the number of travelors I have known that have needed to tow is more than a few. They buy furniture or something they need to take "home." The other thing I have seen is that they meet someone special, if you know what I mean, and end up wanting to tow one of the vehicles behind the other.

The vehicle that comes to my mind, and I don't think it has been suggested is a Nissan Armada. Subarus are definately indigenous to mountainous regions where the snow flies and the Tribeca's are impressive space wise but lack serious towing ability.

Frankly, if I were to do it again, I would take the houseing subsidy. I would get an RV and pull my vehicle behind it. You could probably make 3 RV payments for every month you worked.

Good luck man in your travels. And if I may suggest checking out www.missionhospitals.org. A very popular destination with traveling nurses.

12glocks. LOL that cracks me up. You are a Glock person too? If so ever check out glocktalk.com? My G27 would be at my side during all my travels as well. Thanks for the tip. So since you figured it all out if you dont mind I would like to ask you some questions about the traveling. Do you think I will have a problem getting into the traveling with 3 dogs? Will these places be willing to set me up in their housing with 3 dogs (they are great dogs and I might be able to go down to 2 dogs if that makes a difference, my parents could take one with no problem and the dogs would be with their brothers and sisters.) So anyway, back to the vehicle I have thought about the RV and taking the housing money also. I guess maybe I should look into that even more. I have never driven one and I just dont see that as being a nice relaxing driving vehicle. But I could be totally wrong. Thanks again and I will take a look at that link in a little bit. Any other info is appreciated as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back