Transverse V8

Plenty

That LS4 was also used in the LaCrosse Super and the Grand Prix GXP.

The Northstar has been used in so many Cadillacs and also the Aurora, Bonneville GXP, and Lucerne Super

The late 90s SHO used that Yamaha transverse V8, which Volvo used in the 00s.

What about the GMC front wheel drive motorhome? I think it was a 455. It was similar to the Toronado.
Good catch - spotted this one in Swift Current, Saskatchewan, in 2012.

IMG_2608 - Copy.JPG

The second article linked to by Tyman totally leaves out the Caddy DTS. My 2008 had the transverse N* v8, and it was nice.
My '99 STS was the best though. Great driving car, never had any trouble with it.

In fact, both of those articles leaves out the DTS.

Didn't know that, a lot of 80's Ford's with the Windsor had two drain plugs. My grandmother had a '72 Eldorado that she had for a large portion of my childhood.
I'm pretty sure it was just the Eldorado that had the two drain plugs which were caused by the front driveshaft. A friend in college had a '76 Fleetwood Brougham (don't ask) and I helped her change oil once. I do not remember that having two plugs.

Speaking of transverse V-8 engines, how about transverse V-12 engines?
The Lamborghini Miura (vintage) is the only one I can think of. Are there others?
328 Ferraris, the Magnum PI model, my friend has one and I have done AC work and timing belt etc changes on it.

Didn't know that, a lot of 80's Ford's with the Windsor had two drain plugs. My grandmother had a '72 Eldorado that she had for a large portion of my childhood.
IIRC it was the 86 or 87 Mustang GT 5.0 also had 2. The one thing I like about that car was the boot over the distributer, it fit all all sorts of engines and prevented moisture issues, the rest of the car not great with its twisting body on the conv. It took a lot of fab and welding to connect the sub frames and stiffen it properly.

IIRC it was the 86 or 87 Mustang GT 5.0 also had 2. The one thing I like about that car was the boot over the distributer, it fit all all sorts of engines and prevented moisture issues, the rest of the car not great with its twisting body on the conv. It took a lot of fab and welding to connect the sub frames and stiffen it properly.
Yes, the fox body Mustangs had the double-hump pan, think it was the whole run of the fox, not just 87-93. Also, the panther cars of that era (Town Car, Grand Marquis, Crown Vic) also had it.

My Mil’s 1988 Lincoln Mark VII (Bill Blass edition :cool:) had the 2 oil pan drain plugs as well.

The FWD 5.3 W-body car's were completely slapped together to try and patch a "sports car" together with no budget and no time. The existing LS based engines share almost nothing in common with the LS4, other than displacement. The block is unique: different bell housing pattern, different timing cover, different intake (both size and orientation), starter mounted to the transmission.

Aside from the fact that they are a NIGHTMARE to work on, the lack of space in the W-body engine bay required the use of the already fragile 4T65E-HD. That transmission was already weak behind the 240/280 that the 3800 S/C put out. The 5300 was rated at 303/326... you do the math. The SS cars are absolute DOGS in 1st and 2nd gear because GM had to program in copious amounts of torque management to keep the transmission in one piece. They should have figured out a way to fit the 4T80E, which ITSELF was only used behind 300/295 in the higher end Cadillac models.

*EDIT* I was curious so I did some looking... there's actually a HUGE aftermarket that supports swapping the 4T65 for a 4T80. There's a custom oil pan which allows an engine mounted starter, a custom mount kit to locate and clearance the transmission, and countless guides about the (minor) trimming needed on the block and transmission case. Even better, the 4T80 can run off a stock GM TCM with the proper flash, so it operates like OE.

Last edited:
Plenty

That LS4 was also used in the LaCrosse Super and the Grand Prix GXP.

The Northstar has been used in so many Cadillacs and also the Aurora, Bonneville GXP, and Lucerne Super

The late 90s SHO used that Yamaha transverse V8, which Volvo used in the 00s.
the volvo yamaha v8 has nothing to do with it

the sho v8 is the 8cyl version of of the 60 degree modular block with yamaha heads on it

the volvo yamaha v8 has nothing to do with it

the sho v8 is the 8cyl version of of the 60 degree modular block with yamaha heads on it

Good point on the Volvo/Yamaha V8 though. I forgot about that one.

I've had the pleasure of driving several S80 V8's, and they SCOOT. Horrible to work on, but they really move. The XC90... not so much. Honestly, the V8 should have been the only engine offered in those, with MAYBE the 2.9 T6 as the base engine. Both the 2.5T and the 3.2 are terribly underpowered for something that size. Heck, the 3.2 is a dog even in the standard S80/V70 cars!

Caddy. And they were nice driving cars too for the period. At a time before GM forgot how to to make cars with CAR-ness ... Soul.

Millennials just don't know how.

View attachment 113599

Some of the most hilariously entertaining torque steer I've ever seen in a car. We had one on the used lot when I worked at a dealership many many moons ago, and I used it to do a parts run. Ear to ear grin. So absurd it was fun.

Back