Transmission Fluid change philosophies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I didn't do a flush when switching over to Amsoil because it's a PITA to get to my cooler lines.

I just emptied the pan using the drain plug, and refilled with Amsoil and drove that for 35K KM then dumped it and added more Amsoil.

I also don't wait until my fluid is overused & brown...
thumbsup2.gif

Consider installing a Magnefine filter on the return (or have a shop do it) then use the outlet side of the Magnefine as your point for doing a cooler line flush. If all metal lines then much more of a hassle.

But multiple drain and refills with high priced ATF is not a cost effective way to get to 90% new ATF.

The lines run under neath my cold air intake/battery bay area to the radiator, then from the radiator to the external cooler located between the bumper behind a non-removable grill. To make it even worse, there is a skid plate underneath. The lines are totally inaccessible without taking have the vehicle apart.

They did give me a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission (pan on the side) with a magnet on the drain-bolt that catches a good amount of stuff. They buried it above the skid plate, but I drilled a hole using a door-hole bit in the plastic skid plate so I could drain it without having to remove 8 bolts and the skid-plate.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
2007 F150,38K miles,4R75E trans

At 24K miles I bought a new pan and TIG welded a 1/4" thread-o-let onto it for a drain.I replaced the filter at the same time.I know a few Ford techs at my local Ford dealership and their advice to me is to drain the pan every 10K miles and it should be as good as doing a flush.
thumbsup2.gif

I am getting Motorcraft Mercon V from my local dealer for $4.25 a quart.4 quarts every 10K miles for $17 plus tax is not a bad deal!
34.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
30K would be fine, but 10K is overkill IMO.

Not being sarcastic but it is my money and if it helps me sleep better at night then i'm all for it.I also change my fuel filter at 10K mile intervals too!
34.gif

No offense taken... By all means, it certainly is your money and your vehicle and your sleep that isn't suffering.
thumbsup2.gif

I just thought I would let you know that it is a waste in case you weren't aware the fluid could in fact last much longer.
cheers3.gif

I don't see it as a waste. Its a partial drain/refill to refresh the ATF. Its not a full flush every 10k.

A full flush vs multiple drain/refills??? Thats a topic/thread in in itself to weigh the pro/cons benefits/costs......

You don't think a problem could be caused by mixing the amsoil with the other fluid?

How much do you guys think is fair for a flush at a dealer or trans shop? Looking at ATF 4 fluid today it's about 6 a quart. I would need 14.5 to do my jeep with a flush. Which I still not sure if I would or should ever need to. Being if I do if I drain it now at 38k and every 15-20k after and filter every 30-40 when atf4 is good from 60-100k

I know I can drop the pan and do the filters myself needing 6.5 quarts. Then I will add a drain plug. But I don't feel I could do a flush myself need to really look into it. The trans cooler is easy to get at just need to look at the crimped fittings they use to see if I could take them apart easily.

Originally Posted By: Jeepinjason
You don't think a problem could be caused by mixing the amsoil with the other fluid? ...

Hasn't been for me! Smooth shifting with the Amsoil ATF!
grin2.gif

I wouldn't bother with a flush. Just start your maintenance program and continue with it.

Originally Posted By: Jeepinjason
You don't think a problem could be caused by mixing the amsoil with the other fluid?

How much do you guys think is fair for a flush at a dealer or trans shop? Looking at ATF 4 fluid today it's about 6 a quart. I would need 14.5 to do my jeep with a flush. Which I still not sure if I would or should ever need to. Being if I do if I drain it now at 38k and every 15-20k after and filter every 30-40 when atf4 is good from 60-100k

I know I can drop the pan and do the filters myself needing 6.5 quarts. Then I will add a drain plug. But I don't feel I could do a flush myself need to really look into it. The trans cooler is easy to get at just need to look at the crimped fittings they use to see if I could take them apart easily.

Hmmm...crimped lines ..can't be a Wrangler. Is this a Cherokee? If so, look at the trans itself. The wonders of assembly line production have made the "pincer-wedge" fastener (my term) a popular method. Pulling the line from the trans would be easier than on the other end. The line toward the front of the trans is the "out" line.

Since we're talking about atf change intervals, what kind of insoluble level is getting high for an allison tranmsission? I did oil samples on three trucks we run with mt653s. I took the old filters off and captured some of the fluid that drained out of the filter head. Even though one truck had about 800 hours on the atf ( Texaco Heavy-Duty synthetic ) and the others had about 300 hours each, they all had a .1% insoluble and blackstone recommended replacing fluid and filter ( spin-on ). Oil had no other problems beside the insolubles. I changed out all the filters and topped off fluid levels. I read an online allison maintenance tips brochure and they recommend to keep insoluble levels below 2%.

Originally Posted By: lasmacgod
I did the math a while back, and transmissions are cheaper per mile to maintain than engines. The problem is that the engine is a relatively low cost paid out frequently, whereas the transmission is a relatively high cost paid out less frequently. So, people see the $200 price tag on a flush and filter and flip out, not realizing that the engine has cost them about $300 total for the same thing.

Of course, I just took the wife's '05 Explorer in to the dealer for a tranny flush at 60k miles (bought it with 50k). The manual states to flush the fluid every 30k miles. The service manager tells me that the fluid does not need to be flushed until 150k, and was virtually refusing to do the work. [censored]??? Apparently Ford changed their minds and changed up their maintenance intervals. He punched the VIN into the computer and printed the schedule and showed me.

I still made him do a flush and filter . . .

sounds like he flushed your wallet.
grin2.gif

Flush shouldn't stir up anything. Issue with flushes is the 'cleaning' solvents that are used. A good flush is just an old to new ATF exchange without any chemicals.

sdan27, Allison has ATF maintenance schedules on their website. You could also post the UOAs here in the ATF UOA section.

People amaze me..

Not changing your ATF is a good thing? If people didn't leave the same fluid in the transmission for 100K miles and actually did the proper service intervals it wouldn't be a problem. New fluid is better than old fluid if it is recommended fluid. Transmissions failing because of a flush is most likely a big coincidence and a fairy tale.

:)

The reason these stories always come up is because people that neglect their cars are very quick to point a finger at something else rather than themselves.

In their mind its the new fluid that killed the tranny, not lack of maintenence.

Also these kind of people usually go for a flush when the transmission starts to slip and jerk badly, thinking that it will cure the problem, when in fact the damage was already done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back