Trans fluid for 1947 Nash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1947 Nash 600 that my wife's grandfather bought brand new. Noticed that the fill hole in the trans was weeping and when I put a wrench on the fill plug it took several turns to tighten. Not knowing the history of the car up until I got it, I want to replace the trans fluid.

The manual calls for 90W trans oil.

20748147152_0e6667f0af_b.jpg

Suggestions?

SAE50 and 90W Gear Oil are the same?

McMaster has 90W gear oil. I can get either "Standard" or Mobilgear 600 XP 150 in 90W.

20569668458_f2c79d8270_b.jpg

Just want to make sure I use the right oil for this old trans.

Do you happen to know what configuration final drive it has? Offset, straight cut, spiral, what kind of seals, anything?

Originally Posted By: MKTSC
SAE50 and 90W Gear Oil are the same?

McMaster has 90W gear oil. I can get either "Standard" or Mobilgear 600 XP 150 in 90W.

20569668458_f2c79d8270_b.jpg

Just want to make sure I use the right oil for this old trans.

Says NOT to use oils with EP additives.

I run the engine on straight weight, might as well use the straight 90 gear oil as well. Although that stuff from Amsoil is really intriguing.

I've done a lot of reading and solicited a lot of opinions on using more modern and technologically advanced lubricants vs. what was available then.

I've opted to use the original spec stuff at least for the time being.

Don't use any synthetics unless you know for sure the seals have been updated to modern elastomers.

Stick with mineral oils for now.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Don't use any synthetics unless you know for sure the seals have been updated to modern elastomers.

Stick with mineral oils for now.

I can guarantee that nothing has been updated...

Mineral oils it is. Thanks guys.

Be very careful... you want something that specifically DOES NOT meet GL-4 or GL-5. Beware of gear oils that say "Meet Gl-3, GL-4, GL-5" because they'll have the exact EP additives that your manual forbids.

For that reason, I'd probably use a conventional 50-weight engine oil... something like Rotella T1 SAE 50. There are even a few vehicles as new as my '99 Jeep where the recommendation is now to use engine oil, because non-EP gear oils are getting so hard to find.

More likely than not you have a Borg Warner transmission in your car which is the same manufacturer as the transmissions in the old Studebakers I service. I've been using SAE 50 manual transmission oil that I used in the Fuller Road Ranger transmissions when I was running big trucks. The Borg Warner overdrive transmissions in the Studebakers are doing really well using the SAE 50 oil. Most parts suppliers will be able to get it for you. If you can't find the SAE 50 oil, I know that NAPA has SAE 90 GL 1 gear oil available.

Technology has changed. I would not fear newer manual transmission fluids.

I'd use a GL4 MT fluid.

Ford has a 75w90 that isn't synthetic... XT-4-QGL
I'm pretty sure that the last few bottles of Nissan/Hyundai/Kia 75w85 GL4 MT fluid didn't say synthetic either.
GM has a GL3 89021806

BradPenn, Stalube... also have GL4 MT specific lubes that are conventional.

I would simply avoid GL5 in any manual, and avoid synthetic if you fear seal compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back