Trade Up...Or Shut Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a 2011 VStar 250 last August. Love the bike. Zero probs in 3350 miles. 85 mpg 45 mph and under, 79 on interstate.

Here's my question. When I bought the 250, my riding needs were mostly town and 45 mph, sometimes 60 mph 2 lane. Now my kids have moved further away, and to be honest, the 250 ain't no interstate bike.

Having back probs, I can't handle a really big bike. Would something like a Honda Shadow/Star 650 add enough weight to not get you blown all over creation on the interstate at 70 mph? I know something bigger would be better, but I wonder about my ability to maneuver when I'm at lower speeds in panic situations with much over 500lbs.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
Would something like a Honda Shadow/Star 650 add enough weight to not get you blown all over creation on the interstate at 70 mph?

Probably. Vulcan 500 would be another option. Mine's very stable at that speed, although the rpms are fairly high at that speed. Many people fix this by installing a 17 tooth sprocket up front which is a fairly easy thing to do.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Would something like a Honda Shadow/Star 650 add enough weight to not get you blown all over creation on the interstate at 70 mph?

Probably. Vulcan 500 would be another option. Mine's very stable at that speed, although the rpms are fairly high at that speed. Many people fix this by installing a 17 tooth sprocket up front which is a fairly easy thing to do.

YES.. but frankly you need to get a leg over alot of bikes to determine whats to much weight. Many bikes are heavy when not in motion but feel like featherweights when in operation.. so dont be decieved, do your homework

NO!! I had a Shadow 600 and anything over 60 was awful. On the road, a Honda VTX1300 feels almost lighter than the 600.

I just bought this on June 9th and love it, super comfortable, has enough weight to handle the highway winds with no troubles, top speed I've had it up to was 114 indicated and due to the smaller tires it handles great at lower city speeds. It's CVT transmission is smooth and it's nice and quiet.

It is a bit heavy at 624 lbs but the weight is all centered and low, nice storage under the seat the holds 2 full face helmets also. Electronicly fold in mirrors and adjustable windscreen and it can be ran in a faux manual transmission and shifted with buttons on the left cluster.

Best part is this or the Vstrom Suzuki is offering 0% for 5 years right now.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Scooters/Products/Burgman 650/2012/AN650A.aspx

Last edited:
The Vulcan 500, V star 650, Shadow 750, and even the Suzuki S40 would be good upgrades. I rode a Virago 250 for 7k miles, all on the highway, they do the job but with a side wind they do suck.

I enjoy running my 250 on the highways. Very fun stuff. Handles it like a champ and I dont feel the need for a bigger bike. But a Ninja 250 is a lot different than a V Star.

I own a V star 650 Classic and I think it weighs in dry at about 550lbs. I've ridden a bunch of different bikes (heavier and lighter) and this bike is very easy to handle at slow speeds (for me). As far as the wind goes, if it's heavy enough it's a problem for most bikes at higher speeds. I rode about 55 miles on the highway last night in windy conditions and got blown around a bit but it's not too bad. It's not like I was crossing over an entire lane or anything. I figure my bike with me on it and full of gas is around 800lbs. I ususally keep the needle between 70 and 75 on the highway, goes pretty straight.

MrCritical, are you set on a cruiser, or are you open to other motorcycle configurations? There are standards, adventure tourers, and the high power scooters already mentioned. Go into a couple of big dealerships and see which one has the size and seating position that best fits your and your gimpy back (I got one myself--for me the rocking chair position of a cruiser is torture, and the upright position of a standard or an adventure tourer is just right, thus my V-Strom). The Kawasaki Versys is one great choice, and there are many others from all the makers.

How does the bike weight effect the slow speed handling? Good slow speed handling is a result of balance and clutch control, plus practice, practice, practice. Make sure you have no, zero, not even one panic situations. You may have emergency situations, but never, ever panic. Have you taken a riding course? Would you consider taking another riding course at the next step up the skill level?

Low speed maneuvering is my big problem with extra weight, and the back prob eliminates any type of leaning forward whatsoever. I sat on a V-Strom but don't remember if it was upright, or a forward lean position. I think the S40 weight is too close to what I'm riding already.

What's your opinion on the skinny vs fatter front tire on low speed handling?

Yeah the S40 is about 50lbs heavier, but you would atleast have more engine when you need it in a headwind. I do think the V star 650 and the Vulcan 500 would be the top two choices out there. I will also say that my Triumph Speedmaster is what I went to after my Virago 250 and it was a very easy bike to adjust to.

Originally Posted By: Gabe

NO!! I had a Shadow 600 and anything over 60 was awful. On the road, a Honda VTX1300 feels almost lighter than the 600.

Agreed. The Shadow VLX was pretty cool around town but for some unknown reason Honda equipped it with a 4 speed. Interstate travel was terrible. It would buzz your hands and feet to sleep and it was just awful to ride at 70mph. I don't remember the CMX250 Rebel being that bad at Interstate speed and it tops out just under 85mph.

It just annoyed me because the engine is essentially similar to the Hawk GT 647 which was great on the freeway. And it's a bigger engine than my old Yamaha XZ550 Vision V-twin which was another excellent mid-size freeway bike. Even my GSF400 Bandit that had a stressed member/solid mounted 4 cylinder engine was less buzzy than my VLX and it was running at 7000rpm at 70mph. There is no reason for the Shadow VLX to be so buzzy at this speed. It just is. I guess to get that "potato-potato-potato" sound they needed to mess up the internal balance of the engine.
21.gif
Riding above 60mph was a feat of endurance.

The Vulcan 500 shakes a bit at lower rpm but smooths out quite nicely once spinning. I haven't really spent a lot of time on the V-Star 650 to comment. My older sister had a bigger V-Star before she got her Street Glide and I thought her Yamaha was a pretty good bike.

I have taken the first MSF safety course. It was 105 degrees, plus heat index. If they offer the 2nd course in the fall or winter, I will consider it.

My first bike was the VLX 600. I hated it. Between the 2 bikes, I've ridden about 7500 miles now. I will ck out the VStrom, Versys, S40, Shadow, Star 650, and a Vulcan.

I'm 5'10", long armed and short legged. I prefer lower seat heights. Thanks for all the tips!

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

The Vulcan 500 shakes a bit at lower rpm

Hmm... this hasn't been my experience. I find it rather well behaved at lower rpms. But once you get up to 70 mph, it sounds a bit buzzy to some, without causing any annoying vibrations though like may be the case with the VLX. That's why many people install an aftermarket sprocket which lowers the rpms a bit, but doesn't take away much from the bike's performance. If I was doing a lot of high speed riding (which I don't), I would certainly get a different sprocket for that reason.

Why don't you try a standard riding position Bike. The crusier bikes are not a comfotable riding position for distance.

The Kawasaki Ninja 650 has much more of a "Standard" riding position than the Sport Bike you might think it is...

And it is a very capable road bike. Test sit one.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
The Kawasaki Ninja 650 has much more of a "Standard" riding position than the Sport Bike you might think it is...

And it is a very capable road bike. Test sit one.

Sat on one for 15 minutes yesterday just to see how it felt. Was pleasantly surprised. May explore further.

They had a leftover Ninja 500 they said they would make me an unbelievable deal on. Didn't go that far, but may consider...

Originally Posted By: eddy21
Why don't you try a standard riding position Bike. The crusier bikes are not a comfortable riding position for distance.

I did 1,000 miles in 24 hours on a 95 Harley FXDL with forward controls on it without much of an issue. If you have a good seat and proper equipment on a well set up bike, it can be done. But like all things the rider needs to match the bike. I can't do that much on my Speedmaster. About 500 and im pretty darn beat up, but I also dont have a windshield or a special seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back