Toyota, why are you absent from the EV races?

You are the one that felt you got called on. Sell it to me? I don’t need to explain why I buy certain cars, but it seems you really have a need to justify purchase.
When I said that Tesla can’t perform as ICE, meaning range, flexibility of it, you said I don’t understand how it works (well, I am mentally deficient, so take that into consideration) and gave you real life scenario, and you went ballistic for whatever reason.
Do you really think someone here is expecting that you will change your mind and go sell your Tesla? Or that I really care what you drive? As far as I am concerned, you can buy one of those electric cars in Wal Mart for 3yrs olds, and haul family.
I'm not trying to change minds. Maybe read back and see why you're so bothered it works for some of us. You literally started in this thread by picking it apart and complaining about it. Maybe read back through this and see who's in the wrong here. I can assure you it's not me.

Wow, there's so much going on in this thread. Toyota, at the end of the day, is making a business decision they deem fit for their vision, needs and market demand. That said, long story short, and my unasked for opinion - people should be able buy and drive whatever the heck they want with their hard earned money - gas, diesel, CNG, LPG, electric, and heck even pedal power if they want a bicycle. We do not need a bunch of low IQ, bought-and-paid for morons dictating what we can and cannot drive by setting deadlines like 2035.

That being said, they did try to buy out Panasonic, fail miserably (lots of things going on the background) and now are stuck with BYD as their partner.
A joint 5 billion dollar Toyota/Panasonic HEV/EV battery plant is currently under construction in N.C. Scheduled to open in 2025.

Good lord what the hell is that supposed to mean? People who want EVs are buying them. Obviously those who don't want to buy them aren't and a fraction of those want to start a fight with those who are buying EVs. What is wrong with people?
ummm ... wrong... certain states started the fight with the ICE. Did you forget? What is wrong with them, banning the sale of ICE powered vehicles.

I'm sure it drives great for sure. BMW has driving dynamics down. Cost was definitely a consideration. I'd have to see how close a BMW dealer is to us. Probably an hour? To be fair it wasn't a consideration though. The iX is funky. I know SUVs are the most popular segment in the US but we were trying to get out of that. Surprisingly that's hard to get out of no matter what your powerplant is. Everyone is discontinuing cars.

I had to look at it looks like the BMW i4 M50 is a recently available car. Have deliveries been made? We went into the ID.4 order by 7 months at least by the time that we switched to the Model 3 and decided we didn't want an SUV anyway. That did weigh a lot on our decision as we were trying to replace a vehicle I was tired of putting money into that was crying for more. I'm not even sure the i4 M50 would have been a quicker delivery option if it was available at that time. Things have widened since then and I can't say much as I'm not shopping for a car now so I'm sure it has changed, but there wasn't much option after trying VW(couldn't deliver), Kia(couldn't get a test drive), Hyundai(couldn't get a test drive), Audi(couldn't get a test drive, but it was a more expensive ID.4), Toyota(couldn't get a test drive and didn't want to sell us one). The market is widening, but it still feels narrow. Like I've said before I didn't think we'd be buying a Tesla.
BMW was smart, they sent an i4 M50 and iX M50 to every dealership so people could test drive them, but you couldn't buy the demo (which is probably best, I can be a bit spontaneous at times and might have bought the i4 M50) and the ETA for a build was like 4 months I think? Could be wrong on that.

Here's my review:

We briefly (for about a month) owned an Audi e-tron. My wife absolutely hated it, so we ended up with another Jeep. This has made me apprehensive of making any changes to the stable at this juncture, lol.

I've not driven the ID.4, the KIA, Taycan or the Mercedes. I have driven:
- Model 3
- Model S
- Mach-E
- e-tron
- iX M50
- i4 M50

The options are certainly getting better!

I read some of these comments and wonder what or why a Toyota conversation exists. What are they doing wrong? Worlds largest automaker knows what they are doing.
My question would be what are some EV only companies thinking? What will they do when the EV marketplace is saturated. They are not set up to produce ICE vehicles.

It will be decades (in its current lithium form) before EV sales will outnumber ICE sales.
Tesla has a plan, once EV sales are at market saturation I believe, not sure it if will come true, the global vision to be the world leader in robots will be next, next meaning, 8 years. We will see.

One thing for sure, in a forum, sometimes critical thinking goes by the wayside. In its current lithium battery form, EVs wont take over gasoline sales for 30 or more years, if ever. Gosh words are so simple to spew out but really think about it. Who is going to go backwards in time charging batteries? Not the majority of the public. More critical thinking how on earth could ANYONE ever think that we can produce enough power to replace all the fossil fuel being burned in ICE vehicles when we cant even power our own homes reliably as it is.

EVs will go from status symbol to the been there done that symbol and that nice big gasoline powered SUV rumbling down the road will be turning heads. ;)

Last edited:
Toyota has the resources to be among the top three EV automakers by about 2026. If they choose to anyway.
I understand any automaker's caution when it comes to spending billions of dollars. Millions of dollars won't be enough when other EV makers have already spent billions over a several year period.

But the "wait and see" attitude concerning EV adoption has come and gone. Sure, it will be probably a decade before EV sales approach 50% and government mandates are likely to be shot down. But how would you like a piece of the pie that is 25% of vehicle sales ?

As Mr. Keryk said, Toyota had better get crackin'

So you are saying Tesla has a vehicle with 7-8 seats that can go from Colorado Springs to Las Vegas in the same amount of time as, let's say, my Atlas? Is that why every Tesla driver I have seen on a road trip to CA this Christmas drives 20mph below the speed limit?
So I made a road trip of 2,800 miles for Christmas (got screwed by Southwest), two kids, my wife, and around 670 lbs of weight in the vehicle (Tiguan) with 16cu ft Yakima on the rooftop.
Do you say you can be as fast as I do? Doing 90moph on I70, I15, occasionally 100mph, and reaching your destination at the same time?
You come across as a bitter person. I'm not saying you are bitter, but you do sound that way.

ummm ... wrong... certain states started the fight with the ICE. Did you forget? What is wrong with them, banning the sale of ICE powered vehicles.

It was posted here somewhere that the sales of EVs are strong in only a handful of states. California leads that charge. Most of the states have very little in sales of EVs. Geography and distance have influence there.

It’s very lopsided.

Reactions: FZ1
You come across as a bitter person. I'm not saying you are bitter, but you do sound that way.
I am not. I am trying to figure out this argument how EV is greatest thing, plus not understand superchargers, and throw in real world scenario.

For EV to be mainstream, it must have 400mls range, 5min charging. And when I say 400mls, I mean nit babying it. And not: if you do this, and drive like this.that is why arguments how Toyota or others don’t know what they doing, or lagging behind is absolute nonsense.

It was posted here somewhere that the sales of EVs are strong in only a handful of states. California leads that charge. Most of the states have very little in sales of EVs. Geography and distance have influence there.

It’s very lopsided.
That is true. We live in a Tesla rich state, California. My wife was in South Carolina for a week a few months ago and she said Teslas were virtually nonexistent.

Scott

I know there’s some weird supply chain issues, but Toyota hybrid and PHEV demand (in the USA) didn’t seem so great in 2022.

Sales numbers. 2021 to 2022 percent change:
Prius Hybrid -26.2%
Prius Prime -52.7%
Camry Hybrid -9.8
Highlander Hybrid -32.9%
RAV4 Hybrid +23.9%
RAV4 Prime -33%
Venza Venza -45.7%
Toyota had some issues that they are nit at fault, and some that is absolutely their fault:
1. Supply chain affected everyone, but really hard Toyota (partly their fault).
2. They have their specific issues with labor (absolutely their fault).
3. QC issues(their fault).

Demand is there. I initially ordered Sienna hybrid and wait time supposed to be 6mo. Then they call me after 3mo and said, one more year. I then rented vehicle and realized a. Not for me, b. Ridiculous wait time.
Demand is there, output is not.

That is true. We live in a Tesla rich state, California. My wife was in South Carolina for a week a few months ago and she said Teslas were virtually nonexistent.

Scott

Yes and it’s very localized as well. In the Seattle area one will see a lot of Teslas. Head over the passes into the east side of the state and they are scarce.

Back