Toyota teases the 2025 4Runner

What year was the one you rode in? I believe some changes were made somewhere between 2015 and 2022.
5th gen 4Runners have not changed, in terms of physical dimensions or interior space, since they were introduced. There have been trim changes like chrome accents, bumper garnishes, some interior updates (radio/nav, instrumentation) and things of that nature. They are basically comfortable and easy to drive and see out of because the shape is a common sense shape. As far as mpg, ours gets 17-18 around town and 21-22 highway. I think that is respectable for a 5k pound body on frame SUV with 3-4 people aboard. People will often compare them with other SUVs that either require or recommend premium fuel without adjusting for the cost per mile of that specification, or to a vehicle that simply won’t last as long. Finally, On any SUV or pick up truck, you will lose fuel efficiency quickly north of 70 mph. The same thing happens with my Ram 1500 5.7.

5th gen 4Runners have not changed, in terms of physical dimensions or interior space, since they were introduced. There have been trim changes like chrome accents, bumper garnishes, some interior updates (radio/nav, instrumentation) and things of that nature. They are basically comfortable and easy to drive and see out of because the shape is a common sense shape. As far as mpg, ours gets 17-18 around town and 21-22 highway. I think that is respectable for a 5k pound body on frame SUV with 3-4 people aboard. People will often compare them with other SUVs that either require or recommend premium fuel without adjusting for the cost per mile of that specification, or to a vehicle that simply won’t last as long. Finally, On any SUV or pick up truck, you will lose fuel efficiency quickly north of 70 mph. The same thing happens with my Ram 1500 5.7.
The sun roof was not an option with the original 2015 Pro model with the “crawl control button module” or whatever it is and now it is. I am unsure what year changed with it, but it has to be smaller in order for it to fit between the sun roof and windshield. Thought maybe making the controls smaller in later years gave the vehicle more headroom.

I am not tall and can’t tell the difference.

I drove the current 4 Runner gen, and it seemed to underpowered and too big outside for what it was inside, same as the current gen Taco. Was like driving my Dad's old Buick, compared to driving my Xterra or Frontier. However Nissan doesn't make either of those in the generation I have, so I am stuck. Everything is a trade off. Maybe I will end up with one someday - the options in that class are very limited.
Agree...100%

Underpowered? You should guys try it at 7,000ft and above. The word underpowered gets completely new meaning.

I have. 👋

I’ve gone camping in the San Juan mountains a few times with my 4Runner loaded with gear. Passing on 2-lane roads is **** near suicidal. I quickly learned to drive in S4 to keep the revs high and leave out 5th gear.

Underpowered? You should guys try it at 7,000ft and above. The word underpowered gets completely new meaning.

Try a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th gen V6. They have even less power. In comparison to some 4wd vehicles I've owned over the years, a 5th gen 4Runner does fine.

Try a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th gen V6. They have even less power. In comparison to some 4wd vehicles I've owned over the years, a 5th gen 4Runner does fine.
I did, they are very popular among the crowd here. That does not excuse the fact that they are an absolute snail. And as mentioned above, passing here in the mountains brings additional adventure.

While 4Runner does not lack customers, V8 would be seriously good option.
I have the 4.7 in my 07, and its crazy to think the turbo 4 banger has more power! BUT, I do wish Toyota would let down their hair and make models that are more on the higher power side like Ford Raptors. I don't think they'd be able to keep them on the showroom floor! I believe one of the newer Lexus SUVs has a TT V6 so its not like they'd have to engineer a whole new powerplant/trans. Maybe they still have a headrush from building the LFA! 😜 I'm not in the market, but still like to follow what's going on (mine only has 85k on it so I'm still breaking it in;)).

Except that I can get BETTER than those MPGs with a suburban (I have in exended rental) with way more utility, power, and capability.

I dont know what SUVs need premium. The BMW X5 I just did 1000 miles in said it required 89, but it did fine with 87, and we got just under 26 MPG on the trip.

Longevity? Meh. I drive diesels. Check in after a few decades and a few hundred thousand miles. My brother has an FJZ80, his will be around a while, but its a different design than a pedestrian current toyota engine. Im sure a modern 4runner will last a long time, like plenty of other vehicles. I cant say that my brother's 96 FJZ80 is any better in terms of internal plastic brittleness or whatnot as compared to my 96 Ram - in fact, I know its worse! And if I was looking at pure mileage longevity, Id take the Ram vs the FJZ80. Our 94 Previa had no real issues, but it had none of the fancy stuff. So Im not sure Ill buy the superiority based upon history...

But for modern vehicles, 1990s trucks are not really relevant. Still, Id take a suburban any day for the money and MPGs.

If you want a vehicle with the smaller form factor, OK, got it. But its fairly useless to do anything real with (just did 1000 miles in an X5 with three kids all under 12, could barely fit, and I doubt the 4runner is much bigger), thus to me its pretty wasteful in terms of the operating cost to capability.

But I will give a huge thumbs up that at least they still sell in this size and form factor! Perhaps the new engine and updates will improve efficiencies. My wife had an early 90s 4cyl 4runner (I gues it was a 1990 or 91, it was the four door version, but had little triangle windows in the front doors) and it was fine until it rusted out. The AT would boil the transmission fluid on severe hills but it kept going...

Looked almost exactly like this. Maybe a darker shade. I think it was 2wd!

Screen Shot 2024-04-06 at 5.32.24 PM.jpg

Last edited:
While 4Runner does not lack customers, V8 would be seriously good option.
I prefer forced-induction to keep the power loss at high altitude at a minimum. While folks are hating on the new Toyota turbo-4 hybrid boost powertrain, I am all for it. The only vehicles that didn’t struggle in those camping trips were the turbo-4 Jeep Wrangler and Ecoboost Ford Bronco.

I did, they are very popular among the crowd here. That does not excuse the fact that they are an absolute snail. And as mentioned above, passing here in the mountains brings additional adventure.

Our forced induction Viper has plenty of power, even at the summit of Pikes Peak. It probably wouldn't do too well on some of the 4wd trails where the 4Runner shines.

Except that I can get BETTER than those MPGs with a suburban (I have in exended rental) with way more utility, power, and capability.

I've never understood why the 4Runner is so popular. The same or worse fuel economy than a full-size truck with a V8, and the interior is cramped and uncomfortable (IMO, although I've only driven a 4Runner once, it was a 2015). A Tahoe is literally better than a 4Runner in every way. Sure, the Toyota might be a little more reliable than the GM, but unless you plan to keep it past 150K miles this doesn't matter.

I've never understood why the 4Runner is so popular. The same or worse fuel economy than a full-size truck with a V8, and the interior is cramped and uncomfortable (IMO, although I've only driven a 4Runner once, it was a 2015). A Tahoe is literally better than a 4Runner in every way. Sure, the Toyota might be a little more reliable than the GM, but unless you plan to keep it past 150K miles this doesn't matter.
That's your subjective opinion.

The 4Runner is better on a 4wd trail, (IME) and reliability absolutely matters, when you're a long ways from civilization, with no Cell service. If people wanted a Tahoe, Suburban, or any other vehicle, instead of a 4Runner, they'd buy those. Lots of people DO buy those other vehicles, because they meet their needs/ wants.

There are lots of vehicles I would never buy. I don't care if others want to buy them.

Our forced induction Viper has plenty of power, even at the summit of Pikes Peak. It probably wouldn't do too well on some of the 4wd trails where the 4Runner shines.
True. However, 99% of 4Runners are street animals. I get the idea behind it. Still, you need to get to those trails and still live with it every day. They could do a much better job bridging that divide, the divide between street and off-road capabilities. Stronger engines (another option), better brakes. Most people buy 4Runner bcs. its capability. But they never utilize it, while on the street, they are one of the least capable.

That's your subjective opinion.

The 4Runner is better on a 4wd trail, (IME) and reliability absolutely matters, when you're a long ways from civilization, with no Cell service. If people wanted a Tahoe, Suburban, or any other vehicle, instead of a 4Runner, they'd buy those. Lots of people DO buy those other vehicles, because they meet their needs/ wants.

There are lots of vehicles I would never buy. I don't care if others want to buy them.

As I said before, I applaud Toyota for keeping the form factor alive.

The reliability issue is kind of funny. I find it dubious that some intrinsic engineering design issue that affects the consumer reports-type “reliability” numbers is what is going to manifest on the trail. And, heck, when you look at the trucks that actually earn a living off road in severe service, things like oil and gas, forestry, surveying, railroad maintenance, etc. it’s quite often the full size truck that is the workhorse. So it’s highly likely that those sorts of trucks see literally millions more miles in off road severe service use than the national fleet of 4Runners. Must get used as glorified station wagons.

The reliability issue is kind of funny. I find it dubious that some intrinsic engineering design issue that affects the consumer reports-type “reliability” numbers is what is going to manifest on the trail. And, heck, when you look at the trucks that actually earn a living off road in severe service, things like oil and gas, forestry, surveying, railroad maintenance, etc. it’s quite often the full size truck that is the workhorse. So it’s highly likely that those sorts of trucks see literally millions more miles in off road severe service use than the national fleet of 4Runners. Must get used as glorified station wagons.
I resemble that - work or play …

I really liked the current gen 4Runner. Truth be told, I had wanted one forever but never bought one (instead bought the lemon F-150 PowerBoost) years ago due to the kinda anemic seeming 4.0L and the 5k towing capacity. I wanted something that could comfortably tow 5k, not have it as its max. Logical conclusion would be turbo 4 and new styling. I get it.

Kinda splitting hairs here... I agree, soup to nuts, the Toyota would most likely hit 200-250k without anything before any GM would. But I'd wager to say folks will keep the old GM on the road longer with motor/trans swaps and multiple rebuilds. Shows how this market segment is so competitive and expensive and the love for the old small-block.

Last edited:

True most don't get used on serious 4wd trails. How much of the country even has readily available access to 4wd trails? For me, and from my experience, I've used various Toyota trucks and SUV's for 30+ years on 4wd trails. I know that none of them have ever left me stranded. I can't say the same for other makes I've owned or seen dead on some trail. There's also a matter of size. Fullsize trucks and SUV's just don't fit very well on some of those trails. Even the 4Runner is getting too big to be ideal in some cases.

Most of those oil and gas, railroad, etc roads, are not some narrow shelf road were width and 4wd with low range and traction aids absolutely matter. As well as ground clearance, axle articulation, and approach, departure, and break-over angle. Bigger is NOT better in those circumstances.

Out west we have lots of public land with dirt roads and trails. Unlike most of the eastern states. You can run out of gas in some areas if you don't carry extra. Until something better comes along that's as versatile, the old reliable 4Runner is still our choice

Back