Toyota teases the 2025 4Runner

Honda is putting a V6 in a full-size truck?
Pilot has new 3.5 V6. Tacoma was coming with 3.5. Toyota choose not to go that route. They could. I personally think 2.4T will fit 4Runner better than 4.0 bcs. torque. However, the gain is not there. IMO they should have go with BMW as they did with Supra, as Grenadier did etc. But, that would probably put price tag way up.

I’ve always liked the 4R, but midsize SUVs fit into a weird middle ground that I don’t really have a need for. If I was looking a weekend off roader toy though an old 4R would most def be on the shortlist.

I’ll reserve any judgment until I actually see it.

That's exactly what ours is. A 4wd trail explorer, and winter driver. Four years old, and it has 4500 miles.

We have a ‘16 that has been perfect and it fits the family fine. MPG is respectable but it takes regular fuel so that is a significant savings relative to premium fuel. Build quality is superb, but it comes out of Aichi so that is not surprising. Very solid, never squeaks or rattles, even when I have it off road. Comfortable over the road as well.

Toyota understands the trucks sell based on the reputation for durability and reliability and I would expect them to play it safe other than to make the changes needed to meet new epa requirements. I would expect that new turbo 4 but we will see.

The styling of the new Pilot validates Toyota’s approach to the 4Runner so I don’t expect a significant change in overall theme - boxy, rugged, not a minivan with AWD or 4wd.

I will keep mine until the wheels fall off. Best vehicle ever owned.

I drove the current 4 Runner gen, and it seemed to underpowered and too big outside for what it was inside, same as the current gen Taco. Was like driving my Dad's old Buick, compared to driving my Xterra or Frontier. However Nissan doesn't make either of those in the generation I have, so I am stuck. Everything is a trade off. Maybe I will end up with one someday - the options in that class are very limited.

Would be better with a solid front axle, but at least given that it's still IFS means the Wrangler will still be the best off roader. Curious to see how they flex with the sway bar disco. And I'm still not sure how this will sit in the lineup with the new Land Cruiser - if it's the same basic thing as the LC but for a 20% discount, I don't see the LC's niche. And if they're the same price, the LC name definitely has more cache than the 4 runner name, so not sure what the 4 runner's niche is then.

P
It's all subjective. I'm a fairly large guy, and I find it comfortable.

I was offered a newer '24 TRD ORP 4Runner, for 5k OTD with the trade of ours. That's puts it's value at nearly it's original MSRP... That's not bad. Granted it's in perfect condition, and low miles.

Fuel economy is pretty much on par for any gas mid-to-full size BOF truck or SUV I know of. So not like some hybrid unibody much lighter CUV, for sure.

I look at it this way, it gets comparable MPG to any 4Runner ever made. Including the much smaller, lighter, and less powerful 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen 4Runners. Or the comparably sized 4th gen.

It's certainly not for everyone. But everyone I know who owns one, knows exactly what it is, and loves it.

What the 6th gen will be like, remains to be seen.
im 6’4, not obese, and i was comfortable driving a rental 4Runner I got a few weeks back. It was ll highway/interstate, a decent distance, and the MPGs were horrendous. Switch location, mixed fonts on the dash, etc. looked like typical poor integration on Toyota’s part. But the vehicle was pleasant. Better than the crew cab Tacoma that my FIL had for a bit. I was actually surprised by how quiet and smooth it was on the highway. I’ve rented a few BMW x5 SUVs lately, and they’re louder and not as pleasant imo.

P

im 6’4, not obese, and i was comfortable driving a rental 4Runner I got a few weeks back. It was ll highway/interstate, a decent distance, and the MPGs were horrendous. Switch location, mixed fonts on the dash, etc. looked like typical poor integration on Toyota’s part. But the vehicle was pleasant. Better than the crew cab Tacoma that my FIL had for a bit. I was actually surprised by how quiet and smooth it was on the highway. I’ve rented a few BMW x5 SUVs lately, and they’re louder and not as pleasant imo.
I'm 6'2", tons of headroom front and back in the current 4Runner for me. However, the ones with a sunroof are an absolute dealbreaker. Bad headroom.

Did the one you drive have a sunroof?

I'm 6'2", tons of headroom front and back in the current 4Runner for me. However, the ones with a sunroof are an absolute dealbreaker. Bad headroom.

6'3" 34" inseam. Ours has the moonroof, and I fit fine. You can adjust the seat height.

P

Ours gets better MPG than the wifes X6M, or the Dually, or the sportscar, and the sports coupe. It does get worse MPG than the 4cyl sedans I inherited from the folks.

Actually you're right, drivers seat I was ok. Passenger seat was a no-go.

That's strange, as I've sat in the passenger seat too, with no issue. I know that not all models have the power adjustable passenger seat, as ours does, so maybe that's the difference.

It did. I was surprised because I’ve experienced the same. I could only buy the base model of my accord hybrid because the versions with the sunroof my head hit the ceiling.

I was surprised I fit pretty well in the 4Runner with a sunroof.

P

Agree. Fuel economy can be bad if you go much above 70. Drops quickly due to brick like shape but part of the charm!

Agree. Fuel economy can be bad if you go much above 70. Drops quickly due to brick like shape but part of the charm!
Meh. If I wanted to guzzle gas, I’d buy an old FJZ80 over a new 4Runner I think. It will last longer and arguably go deeper into bad terrain. Granted most folks but them to feel tough and not actually use them for that.

Meh. If I wanted to guzzle gas, I’d buy an old FJZ80 over a new 4Runner I think. It will last longer and arguably go deeper into bad terrain. Granted most folks but them to feel tough and not actually use them for that.

I had a '95 FZJ 80 from new. Had both front and rear diff locks. Eventually it had an ARB Bullbar, Warn winch, and OME suspension. It was my company vehicle (tax write-off) for 5 years. I prefer everything about the 5th gen 4Runner, over the old Landcruiser.

What year was the one you rode in? I believe some changes were made somewhere between 2015 and 2022.

Back