Toyota Tacoma / Lexus IS250 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have two questions. First, I drive a 2013 Toyota Tacoma with the 4 cylinder (2TR-FE) manual transmission 4x4. The dealer takes care of service for the first 2 years every 5000 miles in which an oil change is included and called for in the maintenance schedule. I got the truck in June, and it now has 8000 miles on it. I was wondering about oils when I come out of the covered period of time.

My driving habits - About 1800-2000 miles per month. 75% highway cruising at 65-70mph for 100-150 miles at a time, 20% city with short trips, and 5% off road use on trails, possible snow, and steep inclines.

The owners manual specifies: 0W20 viscosity, Oil Grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil.

I have been looking around, but was wondering if someone could point me toward the specifications and differences of the following (and provide recommendation for my driving habits) -

TGMO - 0W20
M1 AFE - 0W20
PP - 0W20
Valvoline Syn Power - 0W20

Secondly, my girlfriend drives a 2007 Lexus IS250 with 123k miles on it. It is used 80% for short in town trips, and 20% highway. She probably puts around 1000 miles per month on it. I do all the maintenance work on it, but at around 117k miles we became aware that there might be a recall on the pistons of the vehicle even though we have never experienced a problem with it. We took it into the dealer and they checked the VIN and sure enough it came from the factory that experienced problems. So they replaced the pistons and all gaskets and seals needed to get it back together. At that point they put in new TGMO 5w30 that is called for by the manual.

I have never done a UOA before, but I am kind of curious about the condition of the engine now. I want to make sure the rings are seating properly, and maybe get an idea of bearing wear. Do you think this would be a good time to do a UOA on her car at the next oil change? It's been about 5000 miles on the Toyota oil.

Also as far as my plans, I hope I can get 8000-10000 miles between oil changes eventually. I was curious about how you guys approach the filter. Do you leave the same filter in for all 10000 miles or replace it every 5000 or so?

Thanks for your input.

Leave the filter in for the full 10k.

I'd do a uoa after another 5k miles. Then see what you have. Report back then. The toyo oil is very good so I'd stick with that. At least for now.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Leave the filter in for the full 10k.

I'd do a uoa after another 5k miles. Then see what you have. Report back then. The toyo oil is very good so I'd stick with that. At least for now.

Alright, so I should do an oil change on the Lexus at 5,000 miles and get a UOA after another 5k?

Also if anyone knows any differences between the oils listed I'd love to hear about it. I have read that the VI of Toyota oil is higher than most and moly is also in their oil. I'd like to hear about what is special about the others and what their additives help with.

Last edited:
The first 4- ish oil changes are going to show lots of elevated wear due to break in. I suggest you don't worry about doing a uoa unless you're going to do one every change otherwise you have no baseline. It's normal to see high iron/metal for a few but the trending down after break in is what you're looking for.

I have the FJ with the same 25000 mile free dealer service.

I do not do the 10000 mile intervals and I did a few short mileage oil changes during break in.

Doubt it makes a difference but it is what I have always done and makes me happy.

The Toyota oil and Amsoil SS oil does very well in my FJ.

Are you talking about UOA on the Toyota or Lexus? The Lexus would clearly be broken in with 100k miles. You could back to back uoa it to establish trends. The Toyota I wouldn't even bother til 15k++

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
I have the FJ with the same 25000 mile free dealer service.

I do not do the 10000 mile intervals and I did a few short mileage oil changes during break in.

Doubt it makes a difference but it is what I have always done and makes me happy.

The Toyota oil and Amsoil SS oil does very well in my FJ.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Are you talking about UOA on the Toyota or Lexus? The Lexus would clearly be broken in with 100k miles. You could back to back uoa it to establish trends. The Toyota I wouldn't even bother til 15k++

That's good to know. I will probably stick with the Toyota oil in the Tacoma. I'll take it in every 5000 since it's free, but I'll probably step it up to 8000-10000 after the 25,000 free.

I am talking about the Lexus. You are right that it is definitely broken in, but they just replaced the pistions and rings and I'm not sure if they remachined the cylinders at all. I was just wondering if these new rings seated well on the cylinder walls.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back