Toyota Sienna Engine Pictures - Valve Cover Removed - 1MZ-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
10W40's are fine now or are you under the impression most of them were using 10W40???

[ April 09, 2004, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: yannis ]

quote:

Originally posted by TR3-2001SE:
Can any of you toyota experts tell us what years to look for this sludge problem. My wife wants one and I need to know if it is one of the problem years. I guess some information on the modification to the engine to enlarge the port would be helpful also.

From what I understand, 97-00 were the prime years, 01 may be in the group too, but I don't recall. If you do a search on "Toyota sludge" you'll find plenty on the internet about it.

The origin of the problem was, from what I've collected (believe me, I'm interested, I'm on my second 1MZ V-6 vehicle, with no sludge, of course), the cause was two fold. First, for emissions purposes, the heads were allowed to run just a little too hot. They now have expanded coolant passages. Second, crankcase ventilation was marginal, and this too has been improved. Most of these cars would not have a problem as long as oil got changed rigorously, but some would just sludge up in a hurry on their own (whether they would do so with a synthetic, who knows). So put one of these into the hands of someone who doesn't care, and you see what happens.

I severely doubt that the 3.3L (3MZ-FE) will have any problems. It is a direct descendant (basically bored out) of the 1MZ. I'm sure it will have all the later 1MZ's corrective features, and has probably been as carefully examined as anything Toyota has put out in years. I imagine they're pretty motivated to avoid repeating the 1MZ debacle.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
why spend the money on 93 octane gasoline
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are not just getting octane. Premium grades have more and better fuel injector cleaners. A trade magazine I saw at my mechanics (he is a fuel expert) where they random tested regular grade gas and found much less then the ~required~ amount of FI cleaners at all stations.

This is total crap. ALL refiners/retailers use only ONE additive package. Yes, sometimes premium has more in it that regular, but that does not justify the "better" comment.
The other half of this statement is just flawed logic. The inference is that there is a required amount of FI cleaners in gasoline. There is not. The USEPA requires a detergent to prevent/remove Intake Valve Deposits....not FI cleaners. MAYBE some IVD additive types and brands do offer some type of FI cleaning effect, but that is not what is mandated at all. So how can there be less than the recommended amount if there is no recommended amount? There is also no test available for additive concentration to my knowledge. Maybe a gas spectrometer would show some fundamental compounds, but a magazine is not going to pay for that. I think your "expert" is trying to sell you some extra fuel additives that he just happens to have on his shelf.

Called MARKETING HYPE...make the NAIVE consumer believe about regular and premium gas and you got what is PROFIT...I think I read something where premium gas was like 1 or 2 cent more to make but there is a 15-20 cent overcharge...It's the power of the media...$$$....

ALL refiners/retailers use only ONE additive package.

This statement is a little ambiguous, let me clarify. Each Brand of gasoline choses their additive package. Chevron uses Techron, Exxon uses BASF, as well as BP, Martathon uses Techron as well. The point is, they use it in all of the grades they offer...the same additive. There is not a seperate tank for "Premium Additive" and one for "Regular Additive".

Don't think the additive cleaners in gasoline which ever brand you buy is enough to clean the injectors in time. Injectors will get dirty and worned, only the after market injector cleaners will really do any good as a preventive measure to keep the injectors clean. As much as do say, a good injector cleaner twice a year will do the job..don't think the gasoline cleaners will cut it...

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyG:
quote:
why spend the money on 93 octane gasoline

You are not just getting octane. Premium grades have more and better fuel injector cleaners. A trade magazine I saw at my mechanics (he is a fuel expert) where they random tested regular grade gas and found much less then the ~required~ amount of FI cleaners at all stations.

This is total crap. ALL refiners/retailers use only ONE additive package. Yes, sometimes premium has more in it that regular, but that does not justify the "better" comment.
The other half of this statement is just flawed logic. The inference is that there is a required amount of FI cleaners in gasoline. There is not. The USEPA requires a detergent to prevent/remove Intake Valve Deposits....not FI cleaners. MAYBE some IVD additive types and brands do offer some type of FI cleaning effect, but that is not what is mandated at all. So how can there be less than the recommended amount if there is no recommended amount? There is also no test available for additive concentration to my knowledge. Maybe a gas spectrometer would show some fundamental compounds, but a magazine is not going to pay for that. I think your "expert" is trying to sell you some extra fuel additives that he just happens to have on his shelf.

The "why spend ... on 93" question seems to have triggered some of the usual premium vs. regular responses that apply to most engines, which are typically designed for one fuel or the other. The 1MZ/3MZ engines are UNUSUAL in this respect however. They are designed to take advantage of either, depending upon owner preference. Running regular is perfectly OK if you want, but the manual "recomends" the use of 91 or higher for "added performance". The effect is achieved by use of the knock sensors and flexible programming in the ECU and "willingness" to use a wide range of spark advance settings. Use regular and the engine runs fine, but with timing a little retarded, and thus with lower output. Use premium and timing advances resulting in better output. I've experimented with both in my V-6 Camry and the difference is VERY noticeable. I'm willing to pay for the 93 for the added zip.
grin.gif
So with the 1MZ/3MZ, it's not about the additives or blend, it's about performance.

quote:

Originally posted by TR3-2001SE:
Can any of you toyota experts tell us what years to look for this sludge problem. My wife wants one and I need to know if it is one of the problem years. I guess some information on the modification to the engine to enlarge the port would be helpful also.

A very small number of Toyota owners have reported engine damage from a condition known as oil gelling or sludge. Because customer satisfaction is our first priority and we want our owners to know we stand behind our products, we implemented a Customer Support Program for covered vehicles that have experienced engine oil gel.
Engine oil gel occurs when old, dirty engine oil becomes thick and no longer adequately lubricates the engine and, if not corrected, can lead to severe engine damage. Performing regular engine oil and engine oil filter changes will prevent engine oil gel.

Symptoms of engine oil gel may include:

MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light)/Check Engine Light “On”
Blue smoke from the tailpipe
Excessive oil consumption
If you are not experiencing symptoms and are maintaining the vehicle as recommended in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide or Owner's Manual Supplement, no further action is required. We simply encourage you to continue to perform engine oil and engine oil filter changes as recommended. We are confident that the majority of Toyota customers do not require any reminder about the importance of changing the engine oil in their vehicles.

The Customer Support Program assists customers who have made a reasonable effort to maintain their vehicles and have engine repairs due to engine oil gel. The Customer Support Program will provide coverage for engine oil gel related damage for eight (8) years from the date of first sale or lease of a vehicle with no mileage limitation.

Vehicle maintenance information can be found on our Service and Maintenance page. The Toyota Scheduled Maintenance Guide or Owner's Manual Supplement can also help you determine which maintenance interval is appropriate for your driving conditions.

If your vehicle has symptoms of engine oil gel, please contact the Customer Relations Manager at your local Toyota dealership for further assistance.

Each claim is individually reviewed to determine if reimbursement is appropriate. If you have paid for previous repairs you feel may be related to this condition, please contact us at 1-888-802-9436 for further assistance.

The following vehicles have engines covered by the Customer Support Program:

MODEL MODEL YEAR
Avalon 1997-2002

Camry
4 Cylinder
1997-2001
V6 1997-2002

Celica 1997-1999
Highlander
4 Cylinder Not involved
V6 2000-2002

Sienna 1997-2002

Solara
4 Cylinder 1999-2001
V6 1999-2002

Direct from Toyotas website.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 7950 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 84300 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

A couple more thoughts. I've seen the letter Amkeer posted. Despite the inclusion of the later model years (02 in particular), the cat was already out of the bag at that point, and corrective changes were being applied. I suspect (candidly, no direct evidence to support) that Toyota included those years out of caution.

I also think that, as much as I have loved my Toyotas (I've got a Camry, previously had a Highlander on a short-term arrangement, and my wife has a Sequoia), I think Toyota is try to put optimistic lipstick on a pig by characterizing the numbers involved as very small. There was a real problem, and they took too long to face it. To their credit, they've now stepped up and done something about it.

As to the 1MZ/3MZ fuel selection thing mentioned in my last post, here's a photo of the pertinent page from my manual (my hosting svc was down last night). Note how the 4-cyl (2AZ-FE) is not set up to take advantage of premium fuel.

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back