Toyota Recommended PSI : 35 front / 33 rear

I bought a new set of Falken Sincera tires a couple weeks ago and went back to the tire shop because there seemed to be less PSI on the passenger side than the driver side tires. He then put 35 PSI in the front tires and 33 PSI in the back tires. He says he got this info from the driver side door frame.
Is this the best pressure to run in my 2012 Prius c tires? TIA

I bought a new set of Falken Sincera tires a couple weeks ago and went back to the tire shop because there seemed to be less PSI on the passenger side than the driver side tires. He then put 35 PSI in the front tires and 33 PSI in the back tires. He says he got this info from the driver side door frame.
Is this the best pressure to run in my 2012 Prius c tires? TIA
I would say if that is what is posted on the door label...then yes....My HRV has 32 front and 29 rear and that is what I set it at....Now I am sure you will get many posts otherwise about set it at this and that...but I figure the posted label has a little thought put into it for coming up with the recommended PSI for you vehicle...

35 all the way round on my '17 Camry 2.5 per the door placard. Generally , the placard will be the same pressure for all 4 tires.

My A4 had 35 front and 32 rear on the door frame unless it was fully loaded then it recommended 35 all around. I can see this as Audis are so nose heavy.

No, quite often the placard lists different pressure for front and rear.
I said , Generally. Of course, I did assume that most posters/readers, on Bob, can read and follow the, Specific, pressures on their personal driving vehicle door placard.

I said , Generally. Of course, I did assume that most posters/readers, on Bob, can read and follow the, Specific, pressures on their personal driving vehicle door placard.
Yes, you did say generally, and I'd say generally, you are wrong. There are myriad vehicles (like basically every pick-up truck, which is one of the best selling vehicles in North America) that have a different pressure spec front and back.

You made a generalization, a couple of guys disagreed with you because it was inaccurate, it's no big deal.

Follow the Toyota recommendation on the door frame of your vehicle.
Not necessarily, and not always.
Toyota's recommended tire pressure of 35 psi F&R on my Sienna is way too low for the weight of the van. How do I know? Tire wear. Siennas are notorious for wearing out tires prematurely. If you see higher tire wear on the insides and outsides of the tire treads the tires are underinflated, and if the tires are overinflated you will see higher wear in the center of the treads. After long discussions in the Sienna forum, and experimentation by many members over the course of a couple of years (including contact patch tests), the conclusion was reached that 40-42 psi is the appropriate inflation pressure for the Sienna. Doing this (along with regular rotation) has doubled the tire life on my Sienna. It has also improved the van's handling, braking, and fuel mileage (at the cost of a slightly stiffer/busier ride).

Reactions: FZ1
Not necessarily, and not always.
Toyota's recommended tire pressure of 35 psi F&R on my Sienna is way too low for the weight of the van. How do I know? Tire wear. Siennas are notorious for wearing out tires prematurely. If you see higher tire wear on the insides and outsides of the tire treads the tires are underinflated, and if the tires are overinflated you will see higher wear in the center of the treads. After long discussions in the Sienna forum, and experimentation by many members over the course of a couple of years (including contact patch tests), the conclusion was reached that 40-42 psi is the appropriate inflation pressure for the Sienna. Doing this (along with regular rotation) has doubled the tire life on my Sienna. It has also improved the van's handling, braking, and fuel mileage (at the cost of a slightly stiffer/busier ride).
You will want to discuss this with @CapriRacer but typically, shoulder wear happens on steer tires even when they are properly inflated. Toe has the biggest impact on wear, and so suspension geometry and configuration are key drivers here, and they are tuned for things other than long tire life.

Even tire wear is not the primary goal of the pressure spec. The tire must meet the load carrying capacity of the vehicle, and on top of that, handling and predictable emergency maneuver performance along with traction and ride quality are all taken into account.

Toyota engineers aren't stupid and the placard pressure was arrived at based on the above. They've compromised wear performance in order to achieve better performance in those other areas. We've had this discussion before due to the same complaint on other vehicles.

Note that I'm not trying to be dismissive of your concerns about this phenomenon. I completely understand being frustrated at what appears to be a bizarre oversight by Toyota at first blush. However, once you understand that wear performance wasn't top of the their priority list, what you observe in use ends up making more sense. When you try and counteract that by increasing pressure, you are effectively creating compromises in these other aforementioned areas that may not be immediately, or even at all, obvious.

There are some historical posts made by Barry in previous threads, but hopefully he'll chime-in here.

You will want to discuss this with @CapriRacer but typically, shoulder wear happens on steer tires even when they are properly inflated. Toe has the biggest impact on wear, and so suspension geometry and configuration are key drivers here, and they are tuned for things other than long tire life.

Even tire wear is not the primary goal of the pressure spec. The tire must meet the load carrying capacity of the vehicle, and on top of that, handling and predictable emergency maneuver performance along with traction and ride quality are all taken into account.

Toyota engineers aren't stupid and the placard pressure was arrived at based on the above. They've compromised wear performance in order to achieve better performance in those other areas. We've had this discussion before due to the same complaint on other vehicles.

Note that I'm not trying to be dismissive of your concerns about this phenomenon. I completely understand being frustrated at what appears to be a bizarre oversight by Toyota at first blush. However, once you understand that wear performance wasn't top of the their priority list, what you observe in use ends up making more sense. When you try and counteract that by increasing pressure, you are effectively creating compromises in these other aforementioned areas that may not be immediately, or even at all, obvious.

There are some historical posts made by Barry in previous threads, but hopefully he'll chime-in here.
The higher tire pressures were not arrived-at haphazardly for the Sienna. There was testing and experimenting by many members over the course of over a couple of years before it became an agreed-upon conclusion that Toyota's 35 psi recommendation is too low.
When manufacturers make tire inflation recommendations, there is one other thing affecting their decision that you are forgetting... ride comfort. Lower inflation pressures will give you more ride comfort. Based upon personal experience, I would say that Toyota puts ride comfort at or near the top of their priority list.
You are also completely discounting tire wear that is obviously caused by tire pressure that is either too high or too low and inappropriate for the weight that the tires are carrying. In addition to observed tire wear, contact patch testing will confirm that the tire pressure is appropriate for the load the tires are carrying. Fact... higher tire pressure will carry a higher load. This is the reason that some FWD vehicles list recommended inflation pressures that are higher in the front, and it is the same reason that the Corvair listed a higher tire pressure for the rear.
1653068489486.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FZ1
The higher tire pressures were not arrived-at haphazardly for the Sienna. There was testing and experimenting by many members over the course of over a couple of years before it became an agreed-upon conclusion that Toyota's 35 psi recommendation is too low.
The conclusion is that it's too low based on wear characteristics, not load carrying capacity however. Toyota is spec'ing an appropriate pressure for the load carrying capacity required for that vehicle. They are capping it at that pressure due to the other reasons mentioned.
When manufacturers make tire inflation recommendations, there is one other thing affecting their decision that you are forgetting... ride comfort.
I'm not forgetting it, it's literally right there in the text you quoted:
OVERKILL said:
Lower inflation pressures will give you more ride comfort. Based upon personal experience, I would say that Toyota puts ride comfort at or near the top of their priority list.
Yes, after the requirements for load carrying capacity are met, they may prioritize ride quality alongside those other parameters. That doesn't make the pressure spec inadequate though.
You are also completely discounting tire wear that is obviously caused by tire pressure that is either too high or too low and inappropriate for the weight that the tires are carrying. In addition to observed tire wear, contact patch testing will confirm that the tire pressure is appropriate for the load the tires are carrying.
I'm not discounting it, in fact, I made efforts to explain why wear characteristics aren't a primary driver of the manufacturer, nor is pressure the primary driver of shoulder wear. Load carrying capacity is quite easy to confirm with the load tables. Have you looked at those? A tire can be well within its load carrying capacity at a given pressure and not deliver the perfect contact patch or wear characteristics because other things are desired of it.
Fact... higher tire pressure will carry a higher load. This is the reason that some FWD vehicles list recommended inflation pressures that are higher in the front, and it is the same reason that the Corvair listed a higher tire pressure for the rear.
Yes, and that's accounted for in the OEM recommendation, which I already mentioned. If I'm wasting my time trying to explain this, please, let me know and I'll not bother engaging further on the subject.

Load carrying capacity is easily deduced by looking at the load tables for a given size. Above that pressure, the OEM may choose to change the balance (F/R) depending on how the vehicle is expected to be loaded, what its load carrying capacity is/loaded weight (GVWR)...etc. An opposite of your example would be pick-up trucks that are of course front engined but spec higher pressure for the rear tires due to anticipated loading of the bed. Large SUV's are the same way.

The proof is in the results OVERKILL. I (and many other Sienna owners, ask eddy) have been able to double the life of our tires by increasing the tire pressure, which in my case has eliminated the excessive inner and outer tread wear caused by underinflation.
I reiterate, in addition to observed tire wear, contact patch testing will confirm that the tire pressure is appropriate for the load the tires are carrying (independent of ride comfort). Manufacturer's recommendations are a good starting point, but not the be-all-end-all when tire wear indicates otherwise.

Back