Toyota plastic oil filter housing

Well i didnt expect this.. i did read online people complained about plastic housing though. Well wasted $38 getting new one from local dealer.

I will recommend replace with metal housing or extra one before you go for oil change.

4A9A30C8-FC69-44BD-B15D-8F386577E16A.jpeg

We just bought a 2021 4Runner, and I understand that it has this housing. I’ll be doing the first oil change soon.

People here who have Toyota vehicles with this housing have said it’s not a problem as long as it hasn’t been overtorqued.

The MotivX socket wrench was also recommended to me, and I did order it.

Members who have these also suggest putting some oil on the o-ring, and, if you have skid plates, using anti-seize on the fasteners.

Others here have replaced the plastic housings with a factory Toyota aluminum housing (I guess some vehicles come with the aluminum housing?).

Stupid design because it suffers from overtightening. Especially the composite ones.
I serviced a friend's Corolla with a really tight one. I was afraid I'd break it so I asked her to go to a shop or Toyota.
Absolutely use the right tool.

I own 2 cars with the aluminum housing.

I still have a spare metal housing. Have not needed yet. I let the dealership do the first 50k on our Camry; who knows who did the first 70k on my truck. Both still have the plastic housing. My VW had a plastic housing also and it went the distance also.

Only has to be tightened until it gets snug. A good o-ring will have so much drag it would not back out on its own.

That would be a vehicle that only I would change the oil on if I owned it. It reminds me of the oil filter cap used on the 3.6L Pentastar engine. Lots of problems with the oil cooler/filter housing used on the Pentastar engine. A poor design and over tightening the cap spells problems.

Last edited:
"Right tool, right torque, no problem..." The oiled O-ring enters and glides down it's bore. It reaches it's limit and you stop turning. It "shoulders out".
Pentastar engines have a plastic filter housing and oil cooler combined part. I wonder if 95% break from common over-tightening.
The cooler's oil and coolant O-ring seals can leak too. Counterholding possible?

Stupid design because it suffers from overtightening. Especially the composite ones.
I serviced a friend's Corolla with a really tight one. I was afraid I'd break it so I asked her to go to a shop or Toyota.
Absolutely use the right tool.

I own 2 cars with the aluminum housing.

thats how i felt right before i removed filter housing. I should have stop but lesson learned. maybe filter sit there too long period time? (9k miles) idk.

Will order metal ones for next oil change.

thats how i felt right before i removed filter housing. I should have stop but lesson learned. maybe filter sit there too long period time? (9k miles) idk.

Will order metal ones for next oil change.
Just over tightened. Totoya should include the proper tool when you buy the car.
Maybe make the filter slip if overtightened, like some gas caps.

Because they will get overtightened, just like oil drain plugs.

Back