Toyota oil change question

My bro has a 2021 Tundra 5.7 with 8,600mi on it and we did its 3rd oil change. First one was at 1,000mi then every 6 months after. It’s a short tripper so I go by months. Toyota filter and oil to keep the warranty sharks happy. Maybe a low cost 0W20 oil after the warranty period.

the 5k is basically an inspection service and time to set dealer specific vehicle settings through techstream.

10k is the OCI.

Side note: Why does the New owner, Luxury side of TMC get one oil change and some inspections, while the Non-lux side gets prepaid maintenance for 3 years? Even CPOs get 2 free Oil changes lol
Dealer dumped the oil at 5k & 10K inspections, reminder sticker is set for the next 5K miles, just saying.

My Titan manual specifies 5k OCI . Maintenance reminder on the dash triggers at 5k as well . I drive a lot of short trips so I'm not going to stretch that out .

I go 5k with the maintenance minder.

My 08 Tundra just got its oil changed after 18 mos. Lost track of time and it just sits. Only had 4k on the oci.

The 13 Sienna we picked up had 10k oci from the dealer. I do it at 5k now too.

The 11 Rav4 has always been 5k.

All get whatever oil + oem filters. The Tundra is living off my RGT stash. Still have 40 qts. The Sienna and Rav luckily share the same oem filter. Both are currently running Warren oils.

Dealer dumped the oil at 5k & 10K inspections, reminder sticker is set for the next 5K miles, just saying.
Reminder sticker is always set for 5K. Question is - did the dealer bill out the oil and filter for the 5k service? If so they're probably not going to get paid for the claim.

After dealing with 2AZ oil burners
No 🤨
AMD has a video of a 2AZ with 300,000 miles, and the owner's engine did not qualify for the the fix by Toyota at that time.

Back to the OP. OP's choice... spend a little more during the "In-between" service intervals for oil changes? Or not. My local dealership charges $70 for the oil change, which isn't that much.

That depends. Do you trust Toyota, or a bunch of old dudes on the internet?
While I trust Toyota, I also read the manual (written by Toyota) carefully, and none of the manuals I've read say that an unqualified 10,000-mile OCI is acceptable. In addition, some of those "old dudes" have a lot of experience working on Toyota engines. What's your experience with Toyota engines? Have you torn down many?

Last edited:
Toyota calls its ATF lifetime fluid. Asin, who makes the transmission, does not.
10K OCIs are more of a marketing thing, IMO. Toyota did it to keep up with other car companies.
My guess is, they expect customers to keep their cars on an average of 100K to 150K.

5K OCI is cheap insurance. I leave the filter on for 2 or even 3 services and use the MityVac for 15 minute, easy peasey, no mess oil changes.
I have 2 cars with over 210K that I never even check the oil level; there is no need to.
Agreed 100%. Oil change can be done for $30 and very little effort for most vehicles. In 10 years just doubling up OCIs is barely any expense.
Toyota is in the same camp as other makers who've stretched the truth to list lower maintenance costs on paper. This makes them untrustworthy.
Yup.
"Lifetime" is a dishonest word as it's used by many auto makers, not just picking on Toyota. Outside of warranty is "end of life" and in accounting terms, it's a fully depreciated asset. No longer the auto-warrantiers problem when engine issues (or transmission, etc.) develop after X miles/years.

I want my vehicles to last many decades as 300-500K miles or more. If possible. Best ROI.

With Toyota there are 2 documented 1,000,000 Tundras. I think they were 4.7L and /or both were 5.7L engines, 2007 models, dealer serviced but at very regular and lower miles. The OCI interval at that time was 5k miles or 6 months. Bottom line if you want your vehicle (any vehicle) to perform well long term stay within reasonable limits. For low mileage and highway, I think 6 months is probably too aggressive and unnecessary, but over 5K is pushing it too much IMO. I think the time is there to remind people to change it, b/c a longer OCI time interval, if missed, could cause a much too long 2-year or longer change interval.

I'd like to hear from others about their views on time, for low miles driving. I have a "duty truck" that rarely gets driven.

"Generally, the Toyota Tundra V8 engines have 5000 mile or 6 month maintenance intervals."

My 08 Tundra just got its oil changed after 18 mos. Lost track of time and it just sits. Only had 4k on the oci.
I have a similar problem. Awhile back I moved to a small and very-walkabout town. Since the vid, I also work from my home office most days. I barely drive any more and am finding myself with a great problem of lower driving costs but trying to figure out the best TIME interval for oil changes. I try to get my vehicle up to operating temps routinely, but still 6 months with like 1k miles seems extremely wasteful of oil. I bet this nut has been cracked on BITOG before!

10k OCI and lifetime trans fluid is purely so they can market reduced maintanence cost compared to competitors. If you want siezed oil control rings and burning oil go for it. If you want to keep the car 3-5k or 6 months as many others stated and change the trans fluid at 30-60k intervals depending on if you live in the mountains vs the plains.

... Side note: Why does the New owner, Luxury side of TMC get one oil change and some inspections, while the Non-lux side gets prepaid maintenance for 3 years? Even CPOs get 2 free Oil changes lol
My CPO purchase came with the two free changes, which I accepted, although the second had to be a wastefully short interval to fit it within the one year time limit. I never understood why, a few years later, they informed me they owed me another free oil change and two more free tire rotations, as long as claimed them within 10 years after they sold the car to the first retail owner. All the other oil changes since I bought the car, I did myself.

On the newer Toyotas oil changes under warranty are done at the 10K mark. Is this ok?
We just bought a 2020 Toyota Rav 4 XLE with only 26,000 miles. 1 owner.
I am changing the oil to Amsoil oil and filter and will do the full 10,000 miles before changing.
But, I am changing the gear oils and transmission fluid to Amsoil as well.
People will mock me I'm sure, (Oh, another AMSOIL user!!!), but, I can take it hahaha.

We just bought a 2020 Toyota Rav 4 XLE with only 26,000 miles. 1 owner.
I am changing the oil to Amsoil oil and filter and will do the full 10,000 miles before changing.
But, I am changing the gear oils and transmission fluid to Amsoil as well.
People will mock me I'm sure, (Oh, another AMSOIL user!!!), but, I can take it hahaha.

Amsoil costs 2x as much but will not be - as it's impossible - to be 2x as good as XYZ.

You'd be far better served on engine longevity IMO if you went with Quaker State, Mobil1, Castrol, etc. and did OCIs every 5k miles. Fresher oil will be better than Amsoil in it 2x as far.

Back