Toyota/Lexus spark plugs

Who is OE for them? I've read some V6s come with NGK one side and Denso the other. I'm changing plugs and doing maintenance on a friends 2011 Lexus CT200H which from what I gather is a fancy Toyota Prius. It needs new plugs and I want to put OE plugs in it short of buying genuine Toyota from the dealer Its either going to be NGK or Denso. I just usually always buy the OE brand when I change plugs.

I had a 1992 Toyota truck with a 3 litre engine and the first time I changed the plugs it did have N.D on one bank and NGK on the other.

My 4runner was like this. Different plugs on each bank. I replaced with all Denso's

I also use Denso plugs in our Rav and Tundra.

My 4runner was like this. Different plugs on each bank. I replaced with all Denso's

Denso and NGK are both good plugs and OE suppliers to Toyota
smile.gif

Another good choice is the Denso Iridium TT part #4711

Like so many other companies that Toyota deals with such as Aisin, Toyota owns a portion of the OE spark plug & O2/AF sensor companies.

Last edited:
You will find that that OEM Denso plug has been discontinued and superseded by a heat range 16 plug (hotter). My 2010 Prius has 575k on it so I have done a few plug changes over the years. Even after 125k these plugs are perfectly serviceable in my operation.

Beware of buying plugs on Amazon, eBay and other third party retailers. Believe it or not there are a lot of counterfeit plugs out there. Especially on these iridiums that retail for 15 bucks a piece. They even have knock-offs that come in convincing looking Toyota boxes.

I have run nothing but the Denso SC20HR11s in mine but seeing as how I do get slight pinging under certain conditions, I don't think I'm interested in going to a hotter plug. I will probably try the NGK laser iridium next time. Oddly enough the recommended NGK plug has a heat range actually colder than the OEM Denso if the cross reference is to be believed.

More important than spark plug changes on these engines is keeping the EGR system cleaned out. That includes the EGR cooler, EGR valve, EGR piping and intake manifold ports. Not a super difficult job but somewhat time consuming. That's also the time to do the PCV valve also since it is behind intake manifold on the block.

The original Nippondenso was a spinoff business of Toyota and the current Denso is partially owned by Toyota. But yeah - OE for Toyotas are always equivalent Denso and NGK. Same for any engine by Honda.

There really is nothing fancy about the technology used. They're just solidly designed using good quality materials. Any platinum or iridium electrodes are sized large enough that they don't melt down.

Originally Posted by Ram02
Originally Posted by painfx
Because dealers are much expensive

But the Dealer is quality

For example, the plugs for my Acura from oemacuraparts.com (Which is always cheaper than most any dealer) NGK IZFR6K-11 are $19.52 EA. Rockauto lists them at $8.38. I'm all for 'OEM Quality' and will use official Honda parts for things like gaskets and seals, but $120 for 6 spark plugs is insane in anyone's book.

Back