Do you trust spark plugs from Amazon to be authentic ?

grumpy-cat-no-5-300x194.jpg

But for my 1999 Oldsmobile even the ones on Amazon are probably authentic.

I would depending on seller, but it's a good idea to be well versed in the signs of counterfeit ones. I typically just go RA or authorized seller depending on my needs.

I wouldn't trust even that. People will buy authentic parts from Amazon, return them with fake parts, and then Amazon re-sells them as brand new, and then you get the fake parts, while the scammer is laughing with the real parts.

This is almost certainly true. The scary part is, the company does not necessarily need to do anything wrong to end up in a situation where they are selling counterfeit products.

And I don't think it's limited to only Amazon. Rock Auto, Walmart, Napa, Advance Auto, etc. Basically any retailer that accepts returns will not be able to spot these very convincing fake parts and return them to their inventory.

This is almost certainly true. The scary part is, the company does not necessarily need to do anything wrong to end up in a situation where they are selling counterfeit products.

And I don't think it's limited to only Amazon. Rock Auto, Walmart, Napa, Advance Auto, etc. Basically any retailer that accepts returns will not be able to spot these very convincing fake parts and return them to their inventory.

An honest company would at least label the item as returned item, open box, and offer a discount on it. I remember Best Buy used to do this a long time ago in store.

An honest company would at least label the item as returned item, open box, and offer a discount on it. I remember Best Buy used to do this a long time ago in store.

I've seen that for open box items, but I believe that unused/unopened goes right back on the shelf.

Never had issues with spark plugs from Amazon even though I think the likelihood of fake ones is probable. I mainly buy from FCP Euro for my cars nowadays.

Get them from the dealer if concerned.

Back