Lexus ES350 spark plug change

I am about to tackle the ES350 spark plugs (getting them from Lexus dealership) but was wondering if I need new intake gaskets as well.
There are 2 videos on YouTube where the intake manifold is not removed to access the plugs.

Any suggestions towards replacing the gaskets (are they designed for life or need replacement with plugs change).

Vehicle has 125K and still gives me 24MPG.

I thought that the Intake Manifold Gasket(IMG) only got replaced if the IM was removed. Then it just makes good sense. Why risk all of that labor and not replace it. That's a heck of a spark plug job which is why I try to stay away from FWD V6s. I've had a LEXUS with a 1MZFE(3.0L V6). Some folks get away with not removing the IM in order to reach the rear plugs(firewall side). But man, it's a B****

However, if you don't need to remove the IM in order to get to the back plugs then...no worries! But, I don't believe that the IMG is designed to be used again...even if you do use it again and get away with it.

You might as well replace the gaskets. You should also consider replacing the valve cover gaskets while you're in there, since you're already doing 90% of the work to get back there.

One thing I have learnt owning Lexus and Toyota is how simple things are in a luxury vehicle from a maintenance standpoint. Although these vehicles look alike the same job on a Highlander 3.3L will drive you insane vs. Lexus 3.5L, the 10K premium one pays buying a luxury is well worth the money spent for DIYers. Everything is cleaner on a luxury and harder on a non-luxury model (case in point the LCA, it can be replaced without touching the mounts on a Lexus vs. Toyota).

I thought I would avoid the gaskets but will follow Critic's recommendation & suggestions replace them and clean the TB as well by taking off the intake.

We have a 2015 ES350 and I am regularly astounded by the mpg. Wife drives it, maybe 60/40 highway/city and we're still getting 23-25mpg on winter gas.

It's given us 0 issues in the 7 years we've owned it...haven't even had to change the brakes yet (60K miles). Oil changes and a set of tires is it.

One thing I have learnt owning Lexus and Toyota is how simple things are in a luxury vehicle from a maintenance standpoint. Although these vehicles look alike the same job on a Highlander 3.3L will drive you insane vs. Lexus 3.5L, the 10K premium one pays buying a luxury is well worth the money spent for DIYers. Everything is cleaner on a luxury and harder on a non-luxury model (case in point the LCA, it can be replaced without touching the mounts on a Lexus vs. Toyota).

I thought I would avoid the gaskets but will follow Critic's recommendation & suggestions replace them and clean the TB as well by taking off the intake.

I tend to disagree...my parents and in-laws both own Avalons, which are ES350s with a Toyota badge. Everything is in the same spot, so 'easier to work on' in the Lexus? Doubtful.

Now, there may be plenty of other luxury vs non vehicles out there that it differs, but in the Honda Accord vs Acura TL and Avalon vs ES350s that I have access to, they were basically identical (in fact, the luxury versions were harder because they had more "pretty panels" to remove first)

One thing I have learnt owning Lexus and Toyota is how simple things are in a luxury vehicle from a maintenance standpoint.... the 10K premium one pays buying a luxury is well worth the money spent for DIYers. Everything is cleaner on a luxury and harder on a non-luxury model (case in point the LCA, it can be replaced without touching the mounts on a Lexus vs. Toyota)
Intentionally? Like the extra $10K pays for more thoughtful engineering or something?

We have a 2015 ES350 and I am regularly astounded by the mpg. Wife drives it, maybe 60/40 highway/city and we're still getting 23-25mpg on winter gas.

It's given us 0 issues in the 7 years we've owned it...haven't even had to change the brakes yet (60K miles). Oil changes and a set of tires is it.
I get the same w/ an '11 Avalon. On a long freeway drive, I easily get 32 MPG during warm weather months.

Was at the dealership yesterday and the plugs were $19/piece and the guy across the counter told me to replacing gaskets is a good PM idea as TX heat won't hold those seals beyond one plug change (100-120K). One discussion led to another and he told me Lexus only sells hub+bearing assemblies and quoted me $180+$20 for lock nut which was so reasonable vs. getting a bearing w/o the hub. Good move, one less thing to press in and wonder if it went right without destroying the races. Pressing the hub into the knuckle is pretty straightforward at that point.

Was at the dealership yesterday and the plugs were $19/piece and the guy across the counter told me to replacing gaskets is a good PM idea as TX heat won't hold those seals beyond one plug change (100-120K). One discussion led to another and he told me Lexus only sells hub+bearing assemblies and quoted me $180+$20 for lock nut which was so reasonable vs. getting a bearing w/o the hub. Good move, one less thing to press in and wonder if it went right without destroying the races. Pressing the hub into the knuckle is pretty straightforward at that point.

The wheel bearing on my 2001 Infiniti went kaput while I was on a long trip. The bearing itself was $50, the labor to replace it was 300-ish.

Had I been able to get the hub w/bearing, the labor would have been half the cost.

This is like how ball joints are becoming "no longer serviceable"...buy a whole new control arm instead. Yes, its more expensive up front, but its a LOT easier to replace a control arm than fight an old ball joint out and press a new one in. Plus you get fresh bushings with the control arm.

I am 100% sure the intention is to make it better for manufacturers and dealers, but if DIY-ers can afford the up-front cost, it makes it easier for us too.

I have a good friend who has a 2014 ES350 and is claiming mid 30s on the highway and has as high as 38 mpg on long trips in warm weather.

I only get that type of fuel economy with my '15 Altima 2.5L 4 cylinder. My EPA is...city:27/comb:31/hiwy:38

Last edited:
Your friend cannot get anything past 26-27 with perfect 60MPH in cruise and a strong tail wind. V6s max out at 24MPG, he must have gotten a F on his math grade back on school

Finished the plugs changeout and its a pretty straight forward job took me 3 hours.

The rear plugs were dirtier than the fronts and all the front clips broke and just pushed the connector back in (if they throw a code will use a metal wire and bind them together).

The intake bolts were super tight and one stripped - used a tap and got it out.

Overall its a simple job on a Lexus plenty of space and neatly laid out vs. Highlander where I would have dropped a bunch of bolts (always take it to the dealership on Toyo).

Finished the plugs changeout and its a pretty straight forward job took me 3 hours.

The rear plugs were dirtier than the fronts and all the front clips broke and just pushed the connector back in (if they throw a code will use a metal wire and bind them together).

The intake bolts were super tight and one stripped - used a tap and got it out.

Overall its a simple job on a Lexus plenty of space and neatly laid out vs. Highlander where I would have dropped a bunch of bolts (always take it to the dealership on Toyo).
It is very easy to replace the housings on those connectors. $10/ea
Intake bolts only strip if you are using a crappy socket.

The 2GR's are much easier to replace the plugs than the 3mz in your Highlander.

Critic you got that part completely right - took a short cut in the deep well intake bolt. My fault, I couldn't find my socket set so took a bit and put it in and tried to loosen it with my arms. My hand slipped and boom it stripped, I spent another hour looking for my socket set and found it but it was too late the damage was done. I put the stripped bolt in the front and the good ones in the rear.

Back