Toyota just specified new oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by edwardh1:
the 5se engines are 4 cyl ones-
the sludge ones were the V6s and their number is 1m something.

many 4 cyl camry puff oil at start up - its the valve guides.Usually after 125k miles

To expand on what Oil Dealer said, it was both the 1MZ-FE and the 5S-FE engines. Toyota offered extended/adjusted warranty coverage for owners of cars with both engines for certain specified models and time periods. Vad recently posted a listing of the particulars.

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
IS THIS really that big of a deal?
Toyota,fashionably late......

No, it's not. I think Toyota was being "fashionably careful," sitting back and watching for a few years while still feeling the reputation sting resulting from their little sludge problem. I'm sure they already had it figured, but the timing seem about right -- five or so years after the leaders on this front took the leap, it's now pretty evident that we're NOT seeing 0/5w-20 engines failing by the thousands (or even hundreds or tens) because of the oil. But of course, this is BITOG, so do you expect something like this to just slip on by???
wink.gif
cheers.gif

So even though the 2AZ-FE engine is listed as useing the 0W20 spec. oil it has to be a 2006 or newer 2AZ-FE. This precludes my engine wich is a 2003 2AZ-FE engine from useing any 20Wt.!!!!

Dollars to dohnuts Toyota is useing Honda's new lead matrix technology in the bearings of the 2006 model year on. Those engines with build dates prior to 2006 are probably useing older bearing technology.

From the 2006 specs on the 1GG-Fe SOURCE

8. Crankshaft Bearing and Crankshaft Bearing Cap
The crankshaft main bearings are made of aluminum alloy.
Similar to the connecting rod bearings, the lining surface of the crankshaft bearings is micro-grooved to
realize an optimal amount of oil clearance. As a result, cold-engine cranking performance is improved and
engine vibration is reduced.
The upper main bearing has an oil groove around its inside circumference.
The crankshaft bearing caps are tightened using 4 plastic-region tightening bolts for each journal. In
addition, each cap is tightened laterally to improve its reliability.

I do not know if this is new for 2006 or not.

quote:

So even though the 2AZ-FE engine is listed as useing the 0W20 spec. oil it has to be a 2006 or newer 2AZ-FE. This precludes my engine wich is a 2003 2AZ-FE engine from useing any 20Wt.!!!!

Dollars to dohnuts Toyota is useing Honda's new lead matrix technology in the bearings of the 2006 model year on. Those engines with build dates prior to 2006 are probably useing older bearing technology.

This may be true when comparing 2003 to 2006, however I don't believe any changes were made to the 2AZ-FE from 2005 to 2006--2005 being the last update of the 5th generation Camry. I wonder why this TSB only includes 2006 and newer engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back