Toyota, German Castrol, 6,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a an analysis that covers that covers 9 months including an entire Alberta winter - Oct 4/04 to June 1/05.

Vehicle: 1984 Toyota Cressida
Engine: 5MGE 168 cu inch, in line 6 cyl,
double overhead cam
Oil: GC 0w-30 batch M0233868784A1 1512
Makeup oil: Nil
Miles on oil: 6,000
Miles on Car: 57,287
UOA by: Metro Tech - Calgary
Oil Filter: Motomaster Premium FL8A
Driving: 100% city driving, engine did not
exceed 3,000 rpm's for the entire oci

Tin 1
Lead 135(highlighted on the report)
copper 11
Aluminum 2
Silicon 22
Iron 20
Chromium 0.8
Silver 0
Zinc 1050
Magnesium 147
Nickel 0
Barium 0
Sodium 9
Calcium 2000+
Vanadium 0
Phosphorus 903
Molybdenum 0
Boron 17
Manganese 9

Vis @ 100C 12.58
Water 0
Solids Glycol No
Fuel Dilution: No

Metro Tech Comments: " VF6807 - dust/dirt. Cylinders; pistons; rings wear. **Suspect lead based additive**

I did use a can or two of fuel system cleaner because I have a continual problem of additive buildup on the intake valves making the car almost impossible to start. This car sees only severe service use, I am retired and my daily trips are to the coffee shop, grocery shopping etc.

Any comments if I can get away with one oil change per year? Thanks.

"Suspect lead based additive"

Appropriate statement. Did you use any octane booster products or any gasoline that might contain lead? Which particular fuel system cleaner did you use?

Original engine. The car previously belonged to my Aunt who lived in Kelowna, British Columbia. Due to her health the car was seldom used. I received the car two years ago with 30,000 miles on it. I use it as my "running around car".

Clarence,

If no additives with Lead were used to give the high Lead reading in the analysis, then I can think of three other ways the Lead would show up in your analysis:

a) This vehicle is a 1984 model which was around when gas stations were selling fuel with lead as an additive, yes unleaded fuel has been sold since about 1975? and thereby, this car has had Leaded fuel in it which had accumulated in the oil and showing up in this analysis.

b) You have high bearing wear (hope this isn't the case)

c) You got this car from your Aunt, she or a relative or friend put a additive in the gas that is now showing up in the analysis.

I do not see 'other' high wear particles with the Lead, this may just be Lead that has settled in the engine over time, there are many more on BITOG with more experience then I for reading UOAs that can give you a better idea what is up.

BTW, the GC thickened to a 40 weight in 6,000 miles of use, there could be a lot of cleaning going on in the engine.

Is this oil still in the engine? If not I would change it and then do another UOA at 3,000 miles. It may well be that the high lead will only appear in the old oil.

I changed the oil and will start with a new oil again on July 1. I can continue with GC or I have some Shell Rotell SB -pao synthetic but this is a 0w-40 oil and I may lose some mileage.

Only one product used, I believe it may have been a Valvoline Fuel System Cleaner. No other additives were used. No leaded gas used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back