TGMO 0W16 Factory Fill, 46 Miles, 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2.5L I4 Engine

2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 2.5l I4 Build Date 08/2020

46 miles on the oil (Factory Fill) TGMO 0w16
46 miles on the engine

The table below is the Blackstone report. I was curious about the factory fill that Toyota used in the 2.5L Hybrid engine thus I pulled a sample via the dip stick when we got the vehicle home. I have no idea if this was the SN for SP 0w16 formulation but it could be either given the units Aug 2020 build date. Guess we need to wait for a VOA on the SP formulation of TGMO 0w16 to compare.

Blackstone comments: Silicon and Copper are high due to a new engine and will come down after a few oil changes. Everything else appears within normal ranges for TGMO with only 46 miles on the engine.

TGMO 0w16 Factory Fill Aug 2020

ALUMINUM 4
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 5
COPPER 23
LEAD 0
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 660
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 2
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 3
BORON 228
SILICON 116
SODIUM 7
CALCIUM 1176
MAGNESIUM 301
PHOSPHORUS 660
ZINC 696
BARIUM 2

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 46.9
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 6.33
Flashpoint 425
Fuel % <0.5
Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0
Insolubles % TR
TBN 6.0

smithph

What mileage are you planning your first oil change? Will you do another UOA before you change it?

I am thinking of 5K for oil and filter going forward. If no VOA's are posted on the TGMO 0W16 by that time I may send a VOA sample off for testing. I do not see much value in a UOA at 5K. Perhaps 20K or 25K would be a better baseline UOA indicator for this engine. I am going to stick with TGMO 0W16 and filters through the warranty period. This UOA was just a curiosity on my part about the factory fill, I did not change the oil at 46 miles :).

I am thinking of 5K for oil and filter going forward. If no VOA's are posted on the TGMO 0W16 by that time I may send a VOA sample off for testing. I do not see much value in a UOA at 5K. Perhaps 20K or 25K would be a better baseline UOA indicator for this engine. I am going to stick with TGMO 0W16 and filters through the warranty period. This UOA was just a curiosity on my part about the factory fill, I did not change the oil at 46 miles :).
I dropped the factory fill at 1K in my 2020 RAV4h which has the same engine as your Highlander, it was pretty dark. I have been running Valvoline 0W-16 which is maintaining a nice color for significantly longer (yeah yeah yeah, I know, color means nothing). This is the oil when it is approaching 7500 miles:
6148CCEF-7AF5-4196-9EC9-EC2EB52D9C96.jpeg

I don’t see the point of a VOA after this.
But you still clicked on the post and read it?
I think he was meaning what’s the point of doing a VOA when he sent in this sample of only 46 miles, what’s the point of sending in a sample for a virgin analysis when he is basically getting the same thing with the 46 mile sample. At least that is what I’m thinking, could be wrong

I dropped the factory fill at 1K in my 2020 RAV4h which has the same engine as your Highlander, it was pretty dark. I have been running Valvoline 0W-16 which is maintaining a nice color for significantly longer (yeah yeah yeah, I know, color means nothing). This is the oil when it is approaching 7500 miles:
View attachment 31009

I’m 99.9% sure it’s going to be black when you change it. Happened to me before, the oil was still pretty transparent on the dipstick but pitch black on the way out

I think he was meaning what’s the point of doing a VOA when he sent in this sample of only 46 miles, what’s the point of sending in a sample for a virgin analysis when he is basically getting the same thing with the 46 mile sample. At least that is what I’m thinking, could be wrong
I stand corrected! My apologies to gathermewool for not reading it correctly before I commented.

smithph

Good info, good time to negotiate a new car. Does this have the spin on filter? Does it say only use 0w 16?

The 2.5l used in the hybrid has a spin on filter located next to the oil pan. Access to the area is via a small panel held in place with four screws. Fill hole cap is labeled 0W16