toyota fill for life trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual and dip stick on my 04 3.4 Tacoma says not to service the trans fluid unless used for fleet service. Why would a company recommend service to the differentials every 30k but never the trans? Pretty brave on there part.
dunno.gif

My 01 4Runner has the 3.4 and the automatic. I'm pretty sure the book said to replace the trans fluid every 60,000.

Maybe they use different fluids but I call
 -
on any "lifetime" maint. item. Like the lifetime fuel filters.

patriot.gif
cheers.gif

Brave no...it is done so you will buy a new car right around the time the tranny goes south on you from not changing the fluid! ...100,000 mile or so...
crushedcar.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Superglide:
The manual and dip stick on my 04 3.4 Tacoma says not to service the trans fluid unless used for fleet service. Why would a company recommend service to the differentials every 30k but never the trans? Pretty brave on there part.
dunno.gif

That's about the time they went to proprietary fluid.

My 2002 takes a drain and fill with good ole
Dex III. Personally I hate the trend towars sealted trannies and proprietary fluids and specificly choose vehicles with serviceable components.

I would buy 5 qts of the proper atf for the tacoma and do a drain and refill every year for optimal health. On top of that you should install an after market tranny cooler in series with the stock one. I don't know what they changed in the trannies in OD but it wasn't too big a change.

I noticed my mother's 05 Ford 500 specified it was a sealed tranny with fluid changes at 150K miles. While I was changing her oil, I noticed there was no pan, only a drain plug and it does have a dipstick. I plan on changing it every year with new fluid.

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan00TJ:
I noticed my mother's 05 Ford 500 specified it was a sealed tranny with fluid changes at 150K miles. While I was changing her oil, I noticed there was no pan, only a drain plug and it does have a dipstick. I plan on changing it every year with new fluid.

Ryan -if it's Ford's new constant velocity transmission be careful with the fluid choice. I was at a Ford tech meeting and they stated unequivocally "Ford spec fluid only or the trans will fail. Guaranteed. No warranty."
Their words. Not mine.

Honda has been doing that since the 6th generation. It's pretty easy to dump the fluid and refill, but there is no pan nor a filter.

ZF automatics (BMW, VW/Audi, Mercedes, etc.) are "sealed," but at least the pan can be dropped and the filter replaced, which I plan to do every 35K (urban) miles or so. Simply checking the fluid level is a royal pain, unless one has either a mechanic's pit or a hydraulic lift.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
Honda has been doing that since the 6th generation. It's pretty easy to dump the fluid and refill, but there is no pan nor a filter.

Ford started that on the CD4E, first used on the Contour/Mystique and the Mazda 626 starting in 1994 and currently (2005) used in the Escape.

quote:

Originally posted by sully:
My 05 4Runner doesn't even have a dipstick for the transmisson.
rolleyes.gif

Your particular trans still has a drain plug just like the old trans. Instead of a dipstick there is a fill hole on the trans that you fill the trans up to until it starts to leak out the hole. Similar to the setup on manual transmissions.

It seems that marketing is spec'ing the change intervals isntead of engineering. Most people think that not changing fluids is a good thing, and a vehicle that doesn't fluid changes is obviously better than one that does. Just like 7500 mile engine oil changes, which they downgraded to 5000 miles as a response to sludging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back