First time fill for New(reman) OEM Toyota A750F

My 04 V8 4runner trans is shuddering, skipping not holding speed on grades and hesatating intermittently. It's drivable but kinda wonky.

Tried lubeguard and a flush with WS. with mixed results. So after 226k and lots of abuse. The old girl earned herself a new trans.

So, I have a unique and rather expensive opportunity to start with a reman transmission from my local Toyota dealership. According to my trusted guys at the dealership... I bought the last one in the country.

My question is what fluid would YOU use for a first time fill.???

Thanks.

Why do you think the original transmission is failing? Its kind of important to know why so you can plan to avoid it again.

Toyota WS sounds safe. I have 5 quarts of Aisin on my shelf waiting for my GX 460 in 3~ years. Its slightly thicker apparently.

Search is your friend, this has been debated and voted on endlessly. Here is one to read.

Toyota WS is what it calls for so use Toyota WS.

Do not BS around with different fluid types or with multi-vehicle fluids, I have seen multiple times especially in Toyota WS transmissions where multi-vehicle fluid such as Maxlife causes issues.

Do not BS around with different fluid types or with multi-vehicle fluids, I have seen multiple times especially in Toyota WS transmissions where multi-vehicle fluid such as Maxlife causes issues.
IME the multi-vehicle stuff usually works fine at first and if you change it regularly. I have seen it cause some torque converter shudder if you try to treat it as lifetime fill, but not always. Shift quality can be a wildcard though.

Why do you think the original transmission is failing? Its kind of important to know why so you can plan to avoid it again.

Toyota WS sounds safe. I have 5 quarts of Aisin on my shelf waiting for my GX 460 in 3~ years. Its slightly thicker apparently.

Search is your friend, this has been debated and voted on endlessly. Here is one to read.

The root cause is too long on fluid change intervals. First at 130k and next at 226. That's on me.

Realizing that this is going to cost over 4k all in. I have read everything I can find, watched every video on YouTube. Every anecdotal evidence of perfect fluid for this trans. Every shift kit and valve body out there. I've gone through the diagnosis and the flow charts. I worked in Toyota dealership service and parts departments for 12 years. I'm as confident that it needs replacing as I can be. Only better proof would be it's shiny guts on the the ground. :)

Maxlife has been used for quite a while in this application, I'd lean towards that.

But not at 100k+ intervals.

As a reman, do you plan to run for a couple thousand miles, then a fluid exchange? that might sway the opinion one way or the other.

Maxlife has been used for quite a while in this application, I'd lean towards that.

But not at 100k+ intervals.

As a reman, do you plan to run for a couple thousand miles, then a fluid exchange? that might sway the opinion one way or the other.
I'm not opposed to doing a low mileage flush at all.

Based on what?

It doesn’t work that way. You may have a multi-vehicle fluid that covers both Dexron VI and WS, but it doesn’t work the other way around.
Many dex6 fluids do say will work for ws on the back of the bottle. I'm basing it on my experience as well as the fjcruiser forums. The ws fluid does not hold up well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230826-070333.jpg
    Screenshot_20230826-070333.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 8
This topic came up on Tacoma world the other day, maybe worth a shot.

Oh, I see you have the V8 and not the 1grfe

Many dex6 fluids do say will work for ws on the back of the bottle. I'm basing it on my experience as well as the fjcruiser forums. The ws fluid does not hold up well.
It is because the linked product is a multi vehicle fluid.

The forums bash it because of the color upon draining, not because of actual issues.

Maybe some manufacturers are using a multi vehicle fluid for dex6? I know I have seen dex 6 and ws on the same bottle.
That is exactly what I said - there are multi vehicle fluids that cover Dex 6 - and some can even be licensed.

But it doesn’t always work the other way around.

Back