ATF+4 rant on allpar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
My $.02c about LG FM (black?) is it wore out and shifts got hard. Based on that and common sense, I'd NEVER try to modify-up the quality of an ATF, but I'll use non-spec ATF, like +4.

fwiw, Valvoline ok's MerconV in Audi/BMW ZF (LT) trans, but it looks like junk next to ATF+4. Mercon V is FM'ed, right?

OT- did anyone hear if Dex VI got approved as a PSF, and any info on the red Mercedes PSF? I've speculated it's ATF+4.

It is being used as PSF in a number of applications.

This (OP) was an excellent and informative article.

I don't know about the LG products that claim to convert one fluid to another (black and gold bottle I think) but I do believe that LG Red improves ATF. I would agree that its probably
not needed with the newer (mostly synthetic) fluids like Dex VI, Mercon V, ATF+4, Mobil 1 etc... I do think it improves fluids like Dex III and Honda Z-1 which are nothing special to begin with IMO.

Originally Posted By: pbm
This (OP) was an excellent and informative article.

I don't know about the LG products that claim to convert one fluid to another (black and gold bottle I think) but I do believe that LG Red improves ATF. I would agree that its probably
not needed with the newer (mostly synthetic) fluids like Dex VI, Mercon V, ATF+4, Mobil 1 etc... I do think it improves fluids like Dex III and Honda Z-1 which are nothing special to begin with IMO.

This!

I would never use it to "convert" a fluid, or dump it in with an insanely expensive synthetic fluid, but in my old cars spec'd for older fluids, I always use LG. And the difference has been noticeable, along with having fixed issues.

On topic, I obtained a huge amount of Mopar ATF+4 awhile back, and I've been using it as a PSF. It seems to work a treat. I've been considering using it in a Mercon III app, anyone think this would be unwise?

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Im also curious as to whether Dexron VI has recieved approval for use in P/S systems. GM uses it in there heavy duty trucks. One of our new 2009 heavy rescues states " use only Dexron VI" on the power steering reservoir. You would think it would be ok to use since most ATF is in the 7 range for viscosity and it shears in use. So take DEX VI at around 6 and it shears very little, one would assume no issues.
21.gif
Would be nice to hear a go or no on this one.

I used it as PSF in a Scion TC. It works great.
Or maybe DexVI is average, and the Toyota factory fill is garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back