Schaeffers All Trans VS High Performance Lubricants - BTS Trans

I know this is a question for BTS but they have not responded to email, FB or voicemail on this question.

My BTS e4Od is due for a fluid change. When I bought the trans 12 years ago Schaeffers was Brian's recommended fluid, that's all he used. Now that has changed to High Performance Lubricants. BTS thus far has not told me why. They have stated the 2 lubricants are compatible, they only use HPL and left it at that. My inclination is to continue to use Schaeffers but I know oil companies seem to change over time and I don't want to screw up my trans.

If it is simply that HPL is an even better product I'm ok with sticking with Schaeffers. If it is that Schaeffers has gone down hill I'm ok with going to HPL. I'm just one of those that need to have info to make a switch.

Related Topics
Trans fluid change - opinions requested
Trans questions
Trans Question
Trans lube
trans question?
Back to Subforum
1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Usually if a company doesn't care enough to answer my questions. I do not care enough to purchase their product.

Too many companies can't answer direct questions. Fluid choices mostly revolve around fanboyisms and sponsorships.

Try Amsoil, Redline, Mobil1, Torco...

Nothing wrong with Schaeffers or HPL.

I'd consider a TES-668 fluid too.

My assumption is they simply changed over to HPL due to Schaeffer's being more expensive?

If you'd like to just keep using the Schaeffer's if you want. That would be my recommendation but that's simply b/c they've been around for a long time & they are out of my home state.

I can shed a little light on the topic. We are not cheaper than Schaeffer. Brian evaluated our oils over a length period of time from street to track. The results were improved enough that it prompted Brian to switch. I get pictures monthly of parts where Brian says this normally had wear now it looks like new. Brian is one of the best in the business l. Due to this he works 6 long days a week and is booked out 6 months. He is a great customer of ours. I wish I had more like him.

There is nothing wrong with Schaeffer. And I agree there is no evidence of anything going backwards.

Anyone going to BTS has already made a decision that they are looking for the best. Anyone that knows Brian will also know that he will not steer you wrong. After having 13 of his transmissions has been nothing short of a treat.

Long story short your trans will run fine with Schaeffer and it’s fair to say it would run even better on Brian’s oil. His transmission fluid is something I made for him based on what he asked for.

David

I can shed a little light on the topic. We are not cheaper than Schaeffer. Brian evaluated our oils over a length period of time from street to track. The results were improved enough that it prompted Brian to switch. I get pictures monthly of parts where Brian says this normally had wear now it looks like new. Brian is one of the best in the business l. Due to this he works 6 long days a week and is booked out 6 months. He is a great customer of ours. I wish I had more like him.

There is nothing wrong with Schaeffer. And I agree there is no evidence of anything going backwards.

Anyone going to BTS has already made a decision that they are looking for the best. Anyone that knows Brian will also know that he will not steer you wrong. After having 13 of his transmissions has been nothing short of a treat.

Long story short your trans will run fine with Schaeffer and it’s fair to say it would run even better on Brian’s oil. His transmission fluid is something I made for him based on what he asked for.

David

Thanks for the Interesting info David. So I need to buy from Brian, not off the shelf trans blue? Would this be an instance where I need to get all of the existing Schaeffers out? Prior service was drop the pan, clean, change the filter and add 8 quarts.

This is definitely his own fluid. The blue ATF would be fine too. Brian’s fluid will provide firmer shifts. They will blend but I’m not sure if you have ever seen him use the transmission pump to push the new oil through the converter but if you send me your number you will get a call back from him to walk you through it.

If you push the new oil through you won’t have to worry about it for 100,000 miles.

David

I know this is a question for BTS but they have not responded to email, FB or voicemail on this question.

My BTS e4Od is due for a fluid change. When I bought the trans 12 years ago Schaeffers was Brian's recommended fluid, that's all he used. Now that has changed to High Performance Lubricants. BTS thus far has not told me why. They have stated the 2 lubricants are compatible, they only use HPL and left it at that. My inclination is to continue to use Schaeffers but I know oil companies seem to change over time and I don't want to screw up my trans.

If it is simply that HPL is an even better product I'm ok with sticking with Schaeffers. If it is that Schaeffers has gone down hill I'm ok with going to HPL. I'm just one of those that need to have info to make a switch.