Change to synthetic trans fluid in Ford F250?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Ford F 250, 7.3L Powerstroke diesel with the automatic transmission. We bought it at 129,000 mi., and the truck now has 131,000 mi.
According to service records with the truck, the trans. was flushed and refilled at 117,000 mi. with regular Mercon fluid-NOT synthetic.
We tow an 8000 Lb. travel trailer.
I've added a class 4 [12,000 Lb.] plate-fin transmission cooler in addition to the stock cooler, along with an Auto meter transmission temp. gauge.
On a recent trip in the Arizona mountains, with the O/D locked out, I reached temps of 190-200 degrees and once went to 208 degrees temporarily- only for a minute or two.
Temps came down to 170-180 as soon as we reached a level spot or going downhill. The transmission seemed to work fine-smooth, solid shifts and no leaks or overflowing to indicate an overheating problem.

My questions or concerns are:
I'm trying to get the trans. temp down even more to make the trans. live.
1. If I changed to a full synthetic trans. fluid, how much cooler overall can I expect the temps to run?
2. If I go to a synthetic fluid, would I be creating leaks where there were none before? [If it ain't broke-don't fix it?]
3. Suggestions for a synthetic fluid that works best in this Ford auto trans?
Sorry to get so long winded and thanks in advance for any help and suggestions you can give Me.
Bill

I ran Amsoil ATF in my 02 Excursion until last year when I switched to Red Line Racing ATF for heavy towing. My trans temp is never over 200 even pulling out of Camp Verde grossing 27K. You need to get a programmer to up the engine towing capacity and tighten the shift pattern. My trans is stock except for a larger sump pan.

running 190-200F is not that extreme, and if that is some of the worst you put it through I don't think you NEED to change over to synthetic. It (the trans fluid) is new stuff and I would maybe think about putting in syn fluid later when you do your regular transmission work. I wouldn't lose any sleep at this point.

Last edited:
The syn oil probably has a higher temp advantage. Usually a parts failure is what takes out a tranny though. Go with Amsoil or M1 or Redline if you want a syn oil. Trannys and diffs do really well with syn oils.

No leaks will ensue from a full syn fluid.

A full syn is not likely to bring trans temps down much, though they can tolerate higher temps.

200F is not a stretch for any modern ATF. Right in the ideal temp ballpark, in fact. It looks even better when viewed in the context of towing in hot weather.

Mercon V is darn good ATF about 1/3 the cost of a full syn.

Anyway, if you yen to "syn" ( : < ) my advice is to wait until the next trans service and put in what you like. You aren't likely to see any tangible benefits, other than the ever intangible peace of mind, but it won't be a step back. In your case, man, you got nothing to worry about because you really are in great shape right now.

Many thanks to all of you that have replied with your thoughts. Sounds like our worries/concerns were over nothing, but transmissions are expensive and I'm new at the heavier towing thing and just wanted to be sure.
There IS a lot to be said for that "peace of mind" thing.
Much obliged, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back