Toyota EFI additive ?

My wife just bought a new Toyota and looking through the maintenance schedule, Toyota says (recommends) to add their "Toyota EFI Tank Additive" every 5000 miles. Luckily, it only applies for Hawaii and Puerto Rico, so it must be hot(ter) climate related. Is this normal for Toyotas in those climates ? This is the first automaker that I've seen that says add any additive at all, whether it's fuel or oil related.

Fuel quality is probably an issue in those areas. Both of those islands don't exactly have modern infrastructure in all parts.

Hotter or more humid? Wonder if it's something to deal with moisture concerns. Think I saw that in my '21 manual too (only glanced through it quickly, shame on me, but as soon as I saw the regional limitation I glossed right over it).

Fuel quality is probably an issue in those areas. Both of those islands don't exactly have modern infrastructure in all parts.
You might be right, but I was in Puerto Rico last week...rented a car and filled up more than once. Top tier fuel was at the gas stations I used, and I was 30 miles from San Juan.

Never seen so many Toyota’s in my life, or Hyundai’s.

Amsoil is pretty big there, can buy it right at Quick Marts at gas stations.

Hotter or more humid? Wonder if it's something to deal with moisture concerns. Think I saw that in my '21 manual too
I suspect it's related to what @The Critic said as they're both islands and possibly don't even have fuel refiners local so everything has to come in via bunkers. I Googled it and at some point, Toyota included American Samoa islands for this too. The fuel they get is probably pretty "dirty" and they'll only do limited filtering.

What model did she buy?
'24 Grand Highlander Hybrid MAX 😳 Since this is BITOG and Toyota likes thinner and thinner oil - saw a reference to them specifying 0W-8 in their newest models, this one specs 0W-20.

Last edited:
What PR gets, the VI gets worse. Never had issues with Toyotas running the gas around here (used to be Texaco, now no-name, Puma, or Total).

They rattle apart and have failures at higher rates than the ford trucks we use there, but thats’s a different story.

11 Highlander (which if it has gotten two doses of techron ever is a lot) I was driving yesterday:

IMG_7503.jpeg

The fuel they get is probably pretty "dirty" and they'll only do limited filtering.

We routinely service two boat engines that run nothing but local no-name pump gas (from the Hometown station on St. Thomas fwiw), and just did a fuel filter service. It was incredibly clean. I was anticipating some minor grit but saw none. Most every station has been modernized since Irma/Maria.

I suspect it's related to what @The Critic said as they're both islands and possibly don't even have fuel refiners local so everything has to come in via bunkers. I Googled it and at some point, Toyota included American Samoa islands for this too. The fuel they get is probably pretty "dirty" and they'll only do limited filtering.

'24 Grand Highlander Hybrid MAX 😳 Since this is BITOG and Toyota likes thinner and thinner oil - saw a reference to them specifying 0W-8 in their newest models, this one specs 0W-20.

Hawaii has a refinery. Part of it was previously owned and operated by Chevron.

Back